Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cooling tins missing
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
docrav46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:30 am    Post subject: Cooling tins missing Reply with quote

Please help me identify the cooling tins I miss according to the chart.. (there seems to be a lot that's missing 😬)
Hereby uploading few pics of my 1969 German 1600DP beetle
Bugs runs fine when jus started out of driveway but performance drops after a while
. Have ordered the engine seals (2) already
Thanks in advance
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Cooling tins missing Reply with quote

Just for starters - Don't drive unless the two #5 pieces are in place in-between the cylinders. Plug the round heater hose holes in the fan shroud with freeze plugs or something. Get the cylinder head tins in and get the sleds in the bottom - #'s 6, 9, & 10.

Awsome Powdercoat has a series of videos on youtube that shows all the tin being installed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4z0cP7-oVM&list=PL5F64A01FA2D7E128
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Cooling tins missing Reply with quote

#'s 17 & 20
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Cooling tins missing Reply with quote

I would NOT run that engine until I did a lot to it. Pushrod tubes are bent, likely from absence of "sleds". Fuel line looks like "typical" wrong type of rubber hose. Tins. Seals. Etc.

So a lot to do there.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Cooling tins missing Reply with quote

#11 (left) and the one for the right side
#5 both side missing <---<< critical

Also the flaps for the fan shroud, it's linkage and thermostat

The skin for both heater boxes are missing

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Cooling tins missing Reply with quote

Even the heater boxes are missing the tins...

Basically look at that chart. You're missing just about everything. The tins are important to move air around the engine so it can cool properly. Without them the engine will start to overheat pretty quickly.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Cooling tins missing Reply with quote

Your best choice would be to pull the engine and strip it down to the long block and fix everything.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Cooling tins missing Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Your best choice would be to pull the engine and strip it down to the long block and fix everything.

Truth.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Cooling tins missing Reply with quote

Your spark plug leads are also missing their air seals, not to mention the missing front and rear engine compartment seals.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Cooling tins missing Reply with quote

The heater boxes on your engine now have had the sheetmetal outer "socks" removed. The aluminum fins you see on them are the heat sinks that are attached to the exhaust pipe. Those exposed fins transfer engine combustion heat to ambient air.

Complete heater boxes look like this pair. If you would peel away the grey outer skin, you'd see what you have now. The outer skin contains the heat coming off the fins. Your fan shroud's 2 large outlets coming out the rear face normally have hoses that lead to the complete heater boxes' upward-angled inlet holes. The forced air from the engine fan always blows air into the heater box. If you turn the heat lever on in your Beetle (one of the 2 levers which would be at the rear end of the emergency brake), the lever activates an internal flap at the front of the heater box and allows that fan air to blow the heat into the inside of the Beetle.

If you do not plan on needing interior heat, you can remove the heater boxes and replace them with some simple bent metal pipes called "J-pipes" or "J-tubes". If you use the J-pipes or do nothing with your current heater "boxes", definitely plug those 2 outlet holes in the fan shroud so that you don't lose so much cooling air. It's like keeping 2 large windows open in your house in the winter when you have the heat turned on- there's a lot of air loss.

What is that black box to the right of your engine, seen at bottom of this shot?
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooling tins missing Reply with quote

yikes!!!!
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooling tins missing Reply with quote

Ravi,
Print out the diagram on top and give me a call. I think we've posted the missing part numbers on our VW Folks India Whatsapp group. But, if you still have questions, let's chat.
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
docrav46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: Cooling tins missing Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
The heater boxes on your engine now have had the sheetmetal outer "socks" removed. The aluminum fins you see on them are the heat sinks that are attached to the exhaust pipe. Those exposed fins transfer engine combustion heat to ambient air.

Complete heater boxes look like this pair. If you would peel away the grey outer skin, you'd see what you have now. The outer skin contains the heat coming off the fins. Your fan shroud's 2 large outlets coming out the rear face normally have hoses that lead to the complete heater boxes' upward-angled inlet holes. The forced air from the engine fan always blows air into the heater box. If you turn the heat lever on in your Beetle (one of the 2 levers which would be at the rear end of the emergency brake), the lever activates an internal flap at the front of the heater box and allows that fan air to blow the heat into the inside of the Beetle.

If you do not plan on needing interior heat, you can remove the heater boxes and replace them with some simple bent metal pipes called "J-pipes" or "J-tubes". If you use the J-pipes or do nothing with your current heater "boxes", definitely plug those 2 outlet holes in the fan shroud so that you don't lose so much cooling air. It's like keeping 2 large windows open in your house in the winter when you have the heat turned on- there's a lot of air loss.

What is that black box to the right of your engine, seen at bottom of this shot?

Thank you so much for your response!
those holes from the outlet of fan shrowd are already plugged.. will post pics
that black box is an electric fan i had added jus in case i drive around in a taffic congested area,,

will certainly get those tins.. cud they be added with the engine still on ?
docrav46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: Cooling tins missing Reply with quote

bnam wrote:
Ravi,
Print out the diagram on top and give me a call. I think we've posted the missing part numbers on our VW Folks India Whatsapp group. But, if you still have questions, let's chat.

yes will do ! thanks
docrav46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: Cooling tins missing Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Your spark plug leads are also missing their air seals, not to mention the missing front and rear engine compartment seals.

will get them!.. those u shaped rubber seals i have already ordered them .. thank you for your response!
docrav46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: Cooling tins missing Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:

hehe yes makes sense.. but is it possible without takin it out though ?
docrav46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: Cooling tins missing Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Even the heater boxes are missing the tins...

Basically look at that chart. You're missing just about everything. The tins are important to move air around the engine so it can cool properly. Without them the engine will start to overheat pretty quickly.

shall i remove those heater boxes replace them with a normal j tube ? would i still need the tins ??
docrav46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: Cooling tins missing Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
#11 (left) and the one for the right side
#5 both side missing <---<< critical

Also the flaps for the fan shroud, it's linkage and thermostat

The skin for both heater boxes are missing

thank you for the response !.
thats a lot of missing tins.. cud u identify the names for me pls as i would like to order them ..
docrav46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: Cooling tins missing Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I would NOT run that engine until I did a lot to it. Pushrod tubes are bent, likely from absence of "sleds". Fuel line looks like "typical" wrong type of rubber hose. Tins. Seals. Etc.

So a lot to do there.

pushrod tubes got damaged from taking the engine out without a jack stand big mistake my mech did ..
could u explain the wrong type fuel line part pls !
docrav46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: Cooling tins missing Reply with quote

Jimbug57 wrote:
Just for starters - Don't drive unless the two #5 pieces are in place in-between the cylinders. Plug the round heater hose holes in the fan shroud with freeze plugs or something. Get the cylinder head tins in and get the sleds in the bottom - #'s 6, 9, & 10.

Awsome Powdercoat has a series of videos on youtube that shows all the tin being installed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4z0cP7-oVM&list=PL5F64A01FA2D7E128

thank you!
will do can u install them while the engine is still installed ?
those holes are plugged !
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: