Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SAW axles, shortage? quality?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:58 am    Post subject: SAW axles, shortage? quality? Reply with quote

heard a rumor the other day that was a bit disturbing.

anyone know what's up with the backlog / shortage / unavailability of race axles?

was told that the company that made them went bankrupt and all the dies got destroyed/trashed...

retooling would be too costly so ALL race axles from ALL sellers (quality issue???) will be coming from the same place.

Will there be different metallurgy per brand?
OR will ALL race axles fall into the declining quality as most of the rest of the HP parts we buy...

ANYONE know any truth or insight to this?
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: SAW axles, shortage? quality? Reply with quote

SAW axles went to shit a long time ago when they outsourced to China. They were a small "upgrade" to stock axles. The short axles had the splines cut too far back and would be under the small o-ring causing an axle seal leakage problem. I have been getting axles thru ERCO now for some time, way more pricey but way better quality. Just installed some that were 1k. Get ready for the new "norm". It will seperate the typical vw tight ass and the people that want quality.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: SAW axles, shortage? quality? Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
SAW axles went to shit a long time ago when they outsourced to China. They were a small "upgrade" to stock axles. The short axles had the splines cut too far back and would be under the small o-ring causing an axle seal leakage problem. I have been getting axles thru ERCO now for some time, way more pricey but way better quality. Just installed some that were 1k. Get ready for the new "norm". It will seperate the typical vw tight ass and the people that want quality.

when was the last time actually purchased from ERCO?

can't seem to fine any avail from him or his suppliers...

could use 4 sets asap...
3-'66 earlier, and 1-3" shorter
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: SAW axles, shortage? quality? Reply with quote

vwinnovator wrote:
mcmscott wrote:

when was the last time actually purchased from ERCO?

can't seem to fine any avail from him or his suppliers...

could use 4 sets asap...
3-'66 earlier, and 1-3" shorter

2-3 weeks ago

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: SAW axles, shortage? quality? Reply with quote

So does that mean the EMPI axles are the same China stuff as SAW? I've heard that guy in Europe makes good axles. Does ERCO source them from him?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: SAW axles, shortage? quality? Reply with quote

It’s the Sway-A-Ways.

Erco, and Empi have axles. There are some back orders on the Finish axles on CSP’s site.

It’s becoming a supply/demand thing. If there isn’t demand, or customers willing to pay for what needs produced, companies simply aren’t making the parts.

vwracerdave wrote:
So does that mean the EMPI axles are the same China stuff as SAW? I've heard that guy in Europe makes good axles. Does ERCO source them from him?

Empi’s axles are Chinese, but have a harder surface than the SAW axles. Erco has his own specific axle made to his specs that are the top of the food chain.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: SAW axles, shortage? quality? Reply with quote

I have used Empi axels with great success. I think as with all vendors, it is a crapshoot. What is good today, might be crap tomorrow.....but for the last two years, I have run Empi axels with success. Ask Mike Herbert at Rancho. He told me about them.
gprudenciop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: SAW axles, shortage? quality? Reply with quote

I run Empi axles also! I have blown 3cvs so far and axles look great. Supposedly they are made to twist some...don't know if true or not???
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: SAW axles, shortage? quality? Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:

Kuplapaja

Around €800 a set.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: SAW axles, shortage? quality? Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:

Kuplapaja

Around €800 a set.

When is the last time you got a set? CSP has them listed at €1,022.

https://www.csp-shop.com/en/transmission/swing-axle-driveshafts-501-201-111ahd-23575b.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: SAW axles, shortage? quality? Reply with quote

I got a set of long ERCO's for sale. Brand new.
28 1/2".

I can cut a good deal on them..
PM me if interested..

Agreed that SAW is bad anymore. I broke one on the first HIT.

Empi's are Meh... Polishing the spades helps some.
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: SAW axles, shortage? quality? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
UK Luke 72 wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:

Kuplapaja

Around €800 a set.

When is the last time you got a set? CSP has them listed at €1,022.

https://www.csp-shop.com/en/transmission/swing-axle-driveshafts-501-201-111ahd-23575b.html

Spoken with them direct a couple of years ago.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: