Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Adding plug for shift fork adjusting
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Adding plug for shift fork adjusting Reply with quote

I did some work on my swing axel transmission and set the shift forks back to original position. They are now out of adjustment. Knew there was a chance this wouldn't work so not a big deal.

I have another trans but didn't want to cut it for a jig but may need to now.

I have seen transmissions drilled and tapped for plugs to allow access to fork bolts for adjusting. Seems if it works it wouldn't be a bad mod and would save a good amount of work. Thought I read a thread here about adding plugs but can't find it. Anyone know where I can find information on this?

I'm thinking of trying it on my old transmission first and see how it works. If it doesn't then I will cut up the old transmission case for a jig.
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding plug for shift fork adjusting Reply with quote

You have something else wrong, do not drill a hole in your trans, pure stupidity.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding plug for shift fork adjusting Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
You have something else wrong, do not drill a hole in your trans, pure stupidity.

Quite sure it is the shift forks. 2,3 and reverse work perfect. 1 and 4 feel Ike they are not going in all the way and pop out with a little strain. Hoping I can see the slider positions through the filler plug once the trans is out to confirm.

If it was 1,3 or 2,4 I would suspect linkage.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding plug for shift fork adjusting Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
mcmscott wrote:

Quite sure it is the shift forks. 2,3 and reverse work perfect. 1 and 4 feel Ike they are not going in all the way and pop out with a little strain. Hoping I can see the slider positions through the filler plug once the trans is out to confirm.

1-3 have nothing to do with each other as 2-4 also do not, I build transaxles for a living. The 3-4 fork you do not even need a jig to adjust.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding plug for shift fork adjusting Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
sgellis wrote:
mcmscott wrote:

1-3 have nothing to do with each other as 2-4 also do not, I build transaxles for a living. The 3-4 fork you do not even need a jig to adjust.

1-3,2-4 could be shift linkage out, too short or long. 2-3 working tells me shift linkage is correct and I likely screwed up both shift forks when when setting.

I have no experience so no mistake can be overlooked. Haha. Will see once it's out.
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding plug for shift fork adjusting Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
mcmscott wrote:
sgellis wrote:
mcmscott wrote:

1-3,2-4 could be shift linkage out, too short or long. 2-3 working tells me shift linkage is correct and I likely screwed up both shift forks when when setting.

I have no experience so no mistake can be overlooked. Haha. Will see once it's out.

I really hate to say it, but just send your trans to some one, you obviously have no clue how a trans works, and drilling a hole in the side will only make it worse. You obviously have no clue what makes a transmission "stay in gear"

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
Casting Timmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding plug for shift fork adjusting Reply with quote

My guess is someone's been watching the EZGZ guy off youtube, that's the only place I saw a guy plugging a side hole in the trans to adjust the shift fork.

I never really understood it either, what are you going to adjust down the road to fix or do something? I think EZGZ or how ever he does his name said something about adjusting it during the life of the transaxle, which made absolutely no sense to me.

To the OP:
It's not the forks that will keep it in gear, it will be the interaction of the slider and hub on the gear.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Adding plug for shift fork adjusting Reply with quote

Casting Timmy wrote:

It's not the forks that will keep it in gear, it will be the interaction of the slider and hub on the gear.

Problem I think is the sliders are not being pushed into position. You can't actually hold it in gear and it doesn't feel correct when moving the stick into 1 or 4.

I will pull it out in a day or so and see what is going on. I didn't do anything to the 1-2 slider so thinking it must be something to do with the forks.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Adding plug for shift fork adjusting Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:

I really hate to say it, but just send your trans to some one, you obviously have no clue how a trans works, and drilling a hole in the side will only make it worse. You obviously have no clue what makes a transmission "stay in gear"

This is a hobby for me. It's about learning new things. I may screw up some stuff in the process and it may cost more in the end but that is all part of it. Not much of a hobby if I just pay people to do everything. I don't have any VW gurus around to learn from so bit of trial and error.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Adding plug for shift fork adjusting Reply with quote

So the hole for adjusting forks is not suggested Smile got it.

Since this has moved from a simple question to a diagnosis I will add some info.

I did a quick refresh on the trans 3 years ago when restoring my bus. Replaced reverse gear with cage and carrier bearings. To the untrained eye everything else looked ok.

Last fall, 7000 miles later, it started popping out of 4th and started making a rumbling sound idling in neutral.

Pulled it apart and found revers shaft very loose in bearings. 3rd gear was a bit rumbly. 3-4 shift fork was very warn and 3-4 slider was rounded off on forth gear side.

I didn't mess with pinon stack as it seemed good and 1-2 didn't have a problem. Just replaced bearing on end. Input shaft I replaced all bearings and 3-4 slider and fork. Revers shaft bearings also replaced.

I assembled the forks back to original position. This is where I think the problem is. Messed up the measurements of some other error with installing them.

So after installing trans into bus I found it would not go fully into first or forth. Didn't feel like it was going in and popped out instantly if started lifting clutch. Took it for a little drive using 2-3 and shifted great and nice and quit idling.

So now the plan is to pull the trans out and inspect through the drain and filler plugs to see if I can confirm the sliders are not going into position before pulling the stack out.
Dougy Dee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Adding plug for shift fork adjusting Reply with quote

Hey neighbour. No need to cut up your core. I have several 4 bolt pinion cases with wore out pinion bores. Some big nut too.
Pay the shipping and it's yours. I'll even mark where to cut to make it work.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Adding plug for shift fork adjusting Reply with quote

Dougy Dee wrote:
Hey neighbour. No need to cut up your core. I have several 4 bolt pinion cases with wore out pinion bores. Some big nut too.
Pay the shipping and it's yours. I'll even mark where to cut to make it work.

Thanks! I will PM
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Adding plug for shift fork adjusting Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
mcmscott wrote:

This is a hobby for me. It's about learning new things. I may screw up some stuff in the process and it may cost more in the end but that is all part of it. Not much of a hobby if I just pay people to do everything. I don't have any VW gurus around to learn from so bit of trial and error.

You have been given correct advise from a couple on here, you seem to dispute what they say and insist the problem is what you say. Then you describe what you actually did, verifying what the couple people are suggesting and not what you say. Why ask a question then insist you are correct? You say you want to learn but refuse to listen to people who do this proffesionally.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding plug for shift fork adjusting Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
sgellis wrote:
mcmscott wrote:

You have been given correct advise from a couple on here, you seem to dispute what they say and insist the problem is what you say. Then you describe what you actually did, verifying what the couple people are suggesting and not what you say. Why ask a question then insist you are correct? You say you want to learn but refuse to listen to people who do this proffesionally.

I was just having a conversation and filling in some info and my thoughts. I wasn't disputing anyone purposely, sorry if I came across as that. I was explaining my thinking. And I have listened. I'm not going to drill any holes and it is very possible that I have something else wrong. But until I find otherwise or another possible problem is explained that fits, I have only my opinion that the forks are not doing their thing. Not saying my opinion is correct just that it is all I have at this point.

Anyway, once I get the trans out and inspect it I will add my findings here.
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding plug for shift fork adjusting Reply with quote

Casting Timmy nailed it on the head.
It is the engagement teeth angle in relationship to the engagement tooth on the operating sleeve. If these are correct they will actually pull the slider toward the gear not away from it. There is enough "slack" between the slider and fork that you would have to have adjusted so far out of whack it is stupid. The amount you might have it out might cause it to be noisy while in the "good" gear as the fork would be pushing it toward that gear.

If you really want to learn, get it apart, take some pics and then ask some questions.
You have been given explanitions and still seem to think it is the fork adjustment.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Adding plug for shift fork adjusting Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
Casting Timmy nailed it on the head.
It is the engagement teeth angle in relationship to the engagement tooth on the operating sleeve. If these are correct they will actually pull the slider toward the gear not away from it. There is enough "slack" between the slider and fork that you would have to have adjusted so far out of whack it is stupid. The amount you might have it out might cause it to be noisy while in the "good" gear as the fork would be pushing it toward that gear.

Thanks for your time.

I understand the teeth hold the sleeve in place. Part I am having a hard time getting my head around is 1-2 worked before removing the trans and I did not disassemble the 1-2 gears/hub. I could have got the forks stupid out of whack and also may not pick up on any noise that would make.

Anyway. I will get it out and take some photos in a few days. Hoping for some cooler weather. I also have a case coming to make a fork adjuster jig. I will drop it in the jig to see what everything is doing unless I find some obvious screw up first that needs fixing.
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Adding plug for shift fork adjusting Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
sgellis wrote:
mcmscott wrote:

You gave sound advice, but then you called him Stupid.. "pure stupidity" is exactly what you said.
NO wonder he isn't listening to you..

Perhaps a bit of common decency and respect dude...
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Adding plug for shift fork adjusting Reply with quote

Ohio Tom wrote:
mcmscott wrote:
sgellis wrote:
mcmscott wrote:

You gave sound advice, but then you called him Stupid.. "pure stupidity" is exactly what you said.
NO wonder he isn't listening to you..

Perhaps a bit of common decency and respect dude...

I said" to drill a hole in a trans is pure stpidity" Never called him stupid.
I agree I can be a bit harsh, never said I wasn't. I don't suger coat to keep from offending sensitive people. If that bothers some, so be it. Never got a participation trophy, and never gave one.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Adding plug for shift fork adjusting Reply with quote

Put a hacksaw thru the trans - that will fix all your problems.

People insist on doing stupid stuff, let them. I have lost all patience -

If people want to drive their cars off a cliff, then let them. Laughing
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Adding plug for shift fork adjusting Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
Put a hacksaw thru the trans - that will fix all your problems.

People insist on doing stupid stuff, let them. I have lost all patience -

If people want to drive their cars off a cliff, then let them. Laughing

Right there with you Very Happy

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: