Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

good score
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Da TOW'D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:18 am    Post subject: good score Reply with quote

We drove 10 hrs to Kamloops BC for doctors and dentist appointments. All done we started our 10 hour return trip home.
All along the Chilcotin plateau there are small towns and lots of big ranches, to handle all the garbage there are free to use Land Fill sites. People can drop off old metal like washing machines and old cars.
Usually there is also a Share Shack that the people can drop off anything, Lots of books and some small appliances and clothes.
We turned into one of the Land Fill Sites and first thing I noticed was a 1973 Super Beetle that had all the windows broken out.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I just had to look- the engine was out and stuffed in the back seat. I noticed the heads were off and #2 piston was looking pretty worn.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The rest of the car was there, the wheels were on- all the turn signal lens and tail light were intact- the body was rusty. I thought I’d use my Swiss Army knife to take the turn signal lenses then thought I should head it home and see if my grandson wanted to drive 3 ½ hours back up and strip it.
We made it home and talked with our grandson and he was all into it.
That night I sorted all the tools I’d need and the next morning we left early and made it back at the dump site.
First thing I saw was that all the turn and tail light lenses were gone. So in the time we were gone somebody else was into the parts.
We pulled the transaxle and rear brakes- took the engine and all the engine parts then stripped most of the goodies in the 3 hour time limit we had to be back home.
While we were working on the bug a Chevy pickup pulled in and was headed to the bug when they saw us working on the bug they stopped and backed back out. Maybe they wanted it.
Another truck stopped at the Share Shack and the driver calls to us asking if we were going to drive it out- nope but with a few more parts we could.
What we scored
Engine less heads, heater boxes, carb
Transaxle + shifter + perfect looking rear brake drums and shoes +the 5 wheels
Gas tank
Rear engine cover
Steering wheel and shaft
Some electrical parts- fuse box + wiper motor
We could have spent more time stripping it but figured I might be back up there some time and finish it.
It was a good time bonding with the grandson.
cheers
Hank
'92 Eurovan Willy DD
and NUTS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: