Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Guys
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
UnHappy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject: New Guys Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hello, i been having this dune buggy with broken transsmition for a few years now and i decided it was time for me to swap the tranny and it was about time i did this beacause i foud that a bggy is freaking strong mechanic and boddy. this think is a beast and have been made from a guys who know what he was doing i can tell by the chassis. i hade no probleme change the transsmition but i still have somme starting and clucth/transsmition shaft adjustement to do. the worst is the starting probleme im not a dummy in mechanic but this probleme is giving me headquake. the starter work but at a very low rotation speed and this for 5-8 sec when i turn the key then its start slow to the point hes not turning anymore, if i turn the ignition key and start again it will to the samme ting, i try bost it with like 10 different vehicule by now so im 99% sure the battry is not the probleme. i also chek alllllll the ground . realy i even handsand the tranny where the starter go and the starter .actually i try to put the 12v direcly on the starter and the gorund to and still samme probleme. here the best part my new tranny comme w a starter of a automatic tranny and when i switch starter it does the freaking samme probleme. i also remember havvig the samme issu with the last tranny, the buggy start on the first try when i start it by pusshing it on compression by droping the clutch. the starter is just nopt giving the power the enginne need to start the motor. i can easy turn the motor with a wrench. here mu clutch /tranny shifter probleme.this one must be more easy to fix the only probleme is when im on neutral its hard to shift to the 1 gear or the second one but once im going forward the tranny go just fine. thanks a lot buggy folks im very new to this world but i like the way they build and how easy it is to work on.
UnHappy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: New Guys Reply with quote

joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: New Guys Reply with quote

For the transmission, check the fluid level, and if old, maybe change it.
UnHappy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: New Guys Reply with quote

ok thanks i change the differential so i add no choises to change the transsmition fluid , i add about 2.5l of 80-90 until it droping from main fill plug, plz tell me if i did it wrong but i found the information on this forum
liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: New Guys Reply with quote

For your cranking issue, check your grounds. You should have a good, solid ground from the battery to both the engine and the transmission. Make sure cables are clean and tight on both ends. Even if they look good, take them apart and clean everything thoroughly. Make sure that the cable end has good contact inside of the cable (on positive cables too) because they will corrode in there. On mine I ran the negative cable from the battery directly to the transmission case and use ground straps to go from the battery to the tube frame. I also ran a smaller strap from the transmission case where the negative cable is to the engine case just to be sure about having solid grounds. Did I mention that good grounds are important?
UnHappy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: New Guys Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply here my set up the grey wire go to the negative battrie pole then atatch to the trany case at the samme place where frame ground strap go i will take thoses aparts and handsand them see if i can get more juce . for the motor ground i have noting but ima try to fin a wire that colect to the engine and the trany at the samme exact location , will keep u update thanks again
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: New Guys Reply with quote

Check your voltage at the starter, also while cranking. If it drops much from 12 volts, there is an issue with the battery, or resistance in the wiring.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New Guys Reply with quote

You MAY have a voltage drop in the circuit that goes from the battery to the ignition switch, then back to the starter motor. If when you activate the starter switch you get substantially less voltage at the starter than at the battery, then you need to clean contacts, check for bad wire, maybe replace the switch. Many VW guys put a Ford starter relay near the starter instead of fixing the real problem.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UnHappy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: New Guys Reply with quote

i have done somme major update on the starting wiring and now my buggy start like a boss. Laughing i cant tell u what the exact probleme was but here what i did 1: new battrie 2 : new ground strap that attatch the engine and the trany 3: added a groud wire to the chassy and 4: much bether contact to the battrie and the starter. look like it was worth the money spen thanks guys so mich for the cluth probleme im jot sure but now it worrk ok. it look like sommtime my cluth is very hard to push and somme time its very easy when its easy i can shift easy when its hard welll.. its hard on my new transsmition lel, i think a new cluth would be a major update on this bug. maybe a cheap and reliable on on ebay? (i know picture look a bit sketchy and rusty but its a buggy after all no ? and honestly its not this bad)ater my first real ride i can tell the direction and suspention are realy smooth but the engine and transmition are realy agressive , but it loook like more the engine is runnig the smoother it get , i also add a new gaz filter new oil and new oil pflow, also i order a new air cleaner and a new clutch wire since mine is broken (yes sommtime the clutch realy hard to push this bad)

YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New Guys Reply with quote

Check your Bowden tube to make sure it has the proper bend in it, it should look like this:

A new clutch cable is a good idea, but also check the hook on the clutch pedal as well as it can crack like this:

'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: New Guys Reply with quote

Take that positive cable end apart, remove the strap and take the cable out of it. Cut it off and strip back about 5/8" to get to fresh cable. Then take some 14ga stranded wire, about 8" of it and remove the insulation from all of it. Then take the individual strands and wrap them tightly around the exposed positive cable end until it's completely wrapped with a single strand. Grease it and then reassemble it. This prevents the cable from being smashed flat and ultimately coming loose in that type of cable end.
UnHappy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: New Guys Reply with quote

Woopsy theyr is a bit of oil diping on my skid plate when i run the buggy is this sommting i should wory about ?

liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: New Guys Reply with quote

Any oil drip is no good. Yours could be coming from anywhere from the top of the engine around the oil cooler to the bottom at the cylinder bases or pushrod tubes. Get in there with a can of brake cleaner, wash it all off and run it to see where it's coming from.
UnHappy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: New Guys Reply with quote

ok will defenetly do this thanks Wink
TonyB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: New Guys Reply with quote

UnHappy wrote:
ok thanks i change the differential so i add no choises to change the transsmition fluid , i add about 2.5l of 80-90 until it droping from main fill plug, plz tell me if i did it wrong but i found the information on this forum

How difficult is it to change the dif gear? I was needing a swingaxle trans and the only thing I could find was close ratio 1-2 and 3-4, and super diff theres a little, but not much speed difference between the gears, it turns 4,000 rpm to do 50 mph with 30" tall tires, so I suspect it came from something off road ... its quiet and no leaks ... my Baja is mild and more for occasional country(dirt) roads, streets and pastures and with its gearing there was no way to drive it at highway speeds. I've tried selling it on facebook for a couple months for $1,000 but haven't gotten an inquiry and I suspect it's because of the gearing, because I'm upfront about it.

A few months later I found a stock geared transaxle and switched them out but now I'm looking at another project and it needs both engine and trans ... so if I could put in a taller gear, I'd be in!

UnHappy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New Guys Reply with quote

TonyB wrote:
UnHappy wrote:

How difficult is it to change the dif gear? I was needing a swingaxle trans and the only thing I could find was close ratio 1-2 and 3-4, and super diff theres a little, but not much speed difference between the gears, it turns 4,000 rpm to do 50 mph with 30" tall tires, so I suspect it came from something off road ... its quiet and no leaks ... my Baja is mild and more for occasional country(dirt) roads, streets and pastures and with its gearing there was no way to drive it at highway speeds. I've tried selling it on facebook for a couple months for $1,000 but haven't gotten an inquiry and I suspect it's because of the gearing, because I'm upfront about it.

A few months later I found a stock geared transaxle and switched them out but now I'm looking at another project and it needs both engine and trans ... so if I could put in a taller gear, I'd be in!

hello im not 100%sure to understand fully your question, im not a vw pro mechanic , but for my parts i buy the wrong transsmition i buy a swing axel instead of a irs one, but lucky me i could take my differential in my old trany and put it back on the new one. u supose to change the gear pignon the small one but doing this require good skill u need to open the transsmition, so what i did is i just put the irs diff in the swing axel one and add my irs cover both side witch a bit of liquid gasket and theyre we go i have my irs trany.ho and yea more easy you can change the big one the gear so u dont have to open the transmition but i try to remove it but i was not able to so i say screw it.The main reason here is that a small pignon gear and a big on should not be separeted as they are machined together .... but heh mithbusted mine work fine with a different pignon , but remember that i have a buggy and im going off road so its not like i was racing drag with my buggy. i would not recomend doing this,

Last edited by UnHappy on Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
UnHappy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: New Guys Reply with quote

Ride Test

Link
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: