Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which Clock is Correct for my 1954 VW?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoCalVolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Which Clock is Correct for my 1954 VW? Reply with quote

Can someone please tell me which clock would be correct for the grill in my 1954 Volkswagen (still 6V)?
I've seen both Perohaus 6V and 8 day wind up. I've also seen the VDO version that does not say Perohaus.
I'd like to purchase one that would have been the correct original accessory.
Thank you!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AndrewCologne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Which Clock is Correct for my 1954 VW? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thats the exact same one I have originally in my Feb. 1955 Oval which should match to your '54 model.
SoCalVolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Which Clock is Correct for my 1954 VW? Reply with quote

Thank you!!! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigdish2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Which Clock is Correct for my 1954 VW? Reply with quote

My March 54 clock.

In the stash

1954 & 63 Vert
1956 Dove blue camper
(2) 1958 23w deluxes
1958 PGSG 11w og paint
1958 logo dd panel
1959 dove blue 11w
(5) 15w deluxes
(2) 1960,63,65 double cabs
1963 swr/bg 11w og paint
1964 limo bus 350 powered
1964 SO36 Dormobile flipseat Westy
1966 (2) so42’s og paint
1969 (2) porsche 912s
1969 dart swinger 340
(3) Porsche 911s sunroof,targa,cab
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mbaldwin19
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Which Clock is Correct for my 1954 VW? Reply with quote

I need the glass for the Perohaus 1954/55 clock. I'll buy a junker clock to use the glass, as my clock is in good shape, missing glass.
MikeB
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Clock is Correct for my 1954 VW? Reply with quote

mbaldwin19 wrote:
I need the glass for the Perohaus 1954/55 clock. I'll buy a junker clock to use the glass, as my clock is in good shape, missing glass.
MikeB

Ads should be posted as a WTB ad in the classifieds but I'm going to leave your post in place in case anyone can give you an alternative or knows of a source.

If it's simply glass and what looks like a single hole in it, can someone cut one for you?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Clock is Correct for my 1954 VW? Reply with quote

when I bought my 2/55 there was an 80mm hole, in the dash, to the left of the speedo. I was told it was for a clock - priced a few and were outrageously priced.
One day, at a garage sale, I saw a AA battery clock and it measured 80mm. I got it for a buck and double-side taped it in - looks great and was a buck... keeps great time too.

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
Matts Bug Parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Clock is Correct for my 1954 VW? Reply with quote

The short answer to your question is any correct for VW oval beetle clock dated for the period you are comfortable with, you have not mentioned which month your car was built in. There are very few correct 6 volt clocks available but they are out there. I am not sure why, it could be that fewer were made than the mechanical wind-up ones or they were unreliable and tossed when they stopped working or both. Below is an overview of correct clocks as best I know from 20+ years of buying and restoring them, the focus is on the mechanical ones.

At Matt's Parts we only sell correct original oval grill clocks - just because the housing is 80MM does not mean it is a VW clock yet my competitors would have you think that. For some years now most clocks advertised on Samba and eBay are not correct clocks.

Two companies that I know of made correct clocks for ovals with clock faces that match the oval speedometer face: VDO and Kohler.

VDO - the history as I know it.

--The earliest oval grill clocks came out in 1952:--the glass was flat,
--the housing was the deepest so the face could sit lower in the housing held by 3 "long legs" suspended from the housing edge so that clock hands clear the glass
--Numbers and slashes on the faces could have a blue/green tinge to them as opposed to white of the later clocks.
--Hands painted either white or military brown
--Knob is longer than later version-in particular the part of the knob that goes below the glass since the clock face sits lower than later clocks with curved glass. The knob is held onto the shaft by a longer bolt.
--In a few cases the flat glass clock had a knob that screws onto a shaft and the has a heavier set screw.
--earlier production has date stamped into the housing. Some later production units are in tachometer housings and with out date stamps. These were made well into the late 1950's and perhaps into the 1960's..

The later VDO versions:

--the glass was curved,
--the housing was shallower and the face is suspended by 3 "short legs" suspended from the housing edge
--the suspension by short legs concept was abandoned in later production units in favour of the face being held to the clockworks by 2 screws-just like speedo faces.
--Numbers and slashes on the faces are white.
--Hands painted either white or military brown
--Knob is shorter than earlier version and uses a shorter bolt.
--Some have Perohaus at 6 o'clock and VDO at 12 o'clock and some just have VDO at 6 o'clock
--date usually ink stamped on back of housing.

All of the VDO-Perohaus clocks have essentially the same clockworks made by Kienzle (There are minor meaningless variances).

Kohler clocks

--For Kohler, I have only ever had two. One was crazy unique: you wound the clock by pulling the knob straight out of the face. A string was attached that recoiled and you wound up the clock by repeatedly pulling out the knob, letting it recoil and repeat.

--I do not know who made the Kohler clockworks but they are TOTALLY different than the Kienzle's in the VDO clocks.
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Which Clock is Correct for my 1954 VW? Reply with quote

Think clocks was dealer mounted items, not factory fitted? So it could in theory be whatever. Maybe distributors in other countries had their own suppliers of accessories, that could in theory include clocks.

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
mbaldwin19
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Which Clock is Correct for my 1954 VW? Reply with quote

1954 Oval Ragtop Perohaus Clock adventures:
Just acquired pristine resto with grill clock installed. Clock ran very slow and short.
Removed clock, oiled and regulated. Broke crystal on reassembly. New crystals
3" on Ebay, $1.50 each drilled for winder and ground to size in a local crystal repair shop for $15 each. Bought original replacement from Matt's Parts in Edmonton have 2 spares now. This clock runs well as long as it is regulated a bit fast. Too slow and it will stop. Keeping it wound helps as it sometimes has to be taken out to restart with side to side rotation. Reinstalling the crystal is touchy, easy to break. As long as no pressure on glass, bezel can be worked off with small screwdrivers and pressed on with finger pressure only on bezel. Recrimp with small punch smoothed around the circumference. I think many of these clocks have not been oiled since the 50's. Cool to have it running again!
MikeB
Tucson
karmann77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Clock is Correct for my 1954 VW? Reply with quote

I’ve just acquired a march 1953 VDO clock and I’ve no idea how you wind it up, I think you just turn the knob but I don’t want to try it without knowing first what to do and which way to turn it?
bluebeetle1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Clock is Correct for my 1954 VW? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
mbaldwin19 wrote:
MikeB

Ads should be posted as a WTB ad in the classifieds but I'm going to leave your post in place in case anyone can give you an alternative or knows of a source.

If it's simply glass and what looks like a single hole in it, can someone cut one for you?

If someone can get me the dimensions - I can get them cut for you Smile

June 1957 "Big Window" Oval Beetle! Yes it does really exist....
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Clock is Correct for my 1954 VW? Reply with quote

Kjell Roar wrote:
Think clocks was dealer mounted items, not factory fitted? So it could in theory be whatever. Maybe distributors in other countries had their own suppliers of accessories, that could in theory include clocks.

Ive seen birth certificates that list the M code for clock, I think that means factory install.

M912 With 4 chromium plated fender beadings
M918 With leatherette instead of cloth material
M922 Illuminable clock in instrument panel

I found the 922 code on IN2VWS site that is now NLA but was listed from a 58 dealers manual
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Which Clock is Correct for my 1954 VW? Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
Kjell Roar wrote:

Ive seen birth certificates that list the M code for clock, I think that means factory install.

M912 With 4 chromium plated fender beadings
M918 With leatherette instead of cloth material
M922 Illuminable clock in instrument panel

I found the 922 code on IN2VWS site that is now NLA but was listed from a 58 dealers manual

⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Which Clock is Correct for my 1954 VW? Reply with quote

I thought VWkidds vert might have had the clock to the left of the speedo but he said there is no evidence of a hole there.

I wonder what the M code was for dash vs grill clock

IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Which Clock is Correct for my 1954 VW? Reply with quote

Oval clock option was also M922.....Seen here in a 10-1955 Salesmans Handbook, and a VW factory M option catalog.

⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: Which Clock is Correct for my 1954 VW? Reply with quote

Interesting, Karmann only.

So im guessing no factory clocks for sedans.

I got all excited to see what codes 912, 918, and 920 were but are not listed in either of those manuals either.

BTW, thanks for sharing your literature, I really miss all the info your site had.
Frankvolks54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Clock is Correct for my 1954 VW? Reply with quote

Where can I buy the clock and grille setup.. Is for a 1954 oval...
Thanks for the help..
Yustrn
JHC Controla

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Which Clock is Correct for my 1954 VW? Reply with quote

Frankvolks54 wrote:
Where can I buy the clock and grille setup.. Is for a 1954 oval...
Thanks for the help..

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2398640

Here is the clock- Kochs sells the reproduction grills.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: