Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Lowered" front shocks...how to remove the lower metal bushing?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
misfitnick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: "Lowered" front shocks...how to remove the lower metal bushing? Reply with quote

I recently bought a pair of these shocks...

https://www.jbugs.com/product/9650.html

...to go onto the front end of my 1956 beetle, but they won't fit because of the metal bushing that is installed in the lower end of the shock. This bushing is too small to fit over the shock mount on my lower trailing arms. I have tried to press this bushing out using my arbor press with no luck, it might as well be welded in! So, is there any easy way to get that shock bushing out? Are there any other mods I will need to do in order to mount these shocks? Thanks for the help, gents!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: "Lowered" front shocks...how to remove the lower metal bushing? Reply with quote

Don't try to remove the steel collar from the bottom of the shock. Instead, remove the steel collar from the old shock that stuck onto the stud of the control arm.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: "Lowered" front shocks...how to remove the lower metal bushing? Reply with quote

here's one way to remove it
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also a chisel and hammer. Sometimes you can find the seam and open it up.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: "Lowered" front shocks...how to remove the lower metal bushing? Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Don't try to remove the steel collar from the bottom of the shock. Instead, remove the steel collar from the old shock that stuck onto the stud of the control arm.

X2- If confronted we would use an air chisel to run it off the stud- otherwise it stayed No Harm.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: "Lowered" front shocks...how to remove the lower metal bushing? Reply with quote

misfitnick wrote:
. . . bushing is too small to fit over the shock mount on my lower trailing arms. I have tried to press this bushing out using my arbor press with no luck, it might as well be welded in!

DO NOT press that out of the new shocks!! You will not be able to press the new shock on to the trailing arm.
Like the other folks told ya . . . the old shock left a piece on the trailing arm and ya gotta get it off before you can install the new shocks!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: "Lowered" front shocks...how to remove the lower metal bushing? Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:

Why did this remind me of this?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Very Happy

Anyway. sometimes you have to heat up the piece that is left in place or slice it with a dremel
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: "Lowered" front shocks...how to remove the lower metal bushing? Reply with quote

Yep, usually heat and vise-grips will do the trick...twist it back and forth as it slides off
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: "Lowered" front shocks...how to remove the lower metal bushing? Reply with quote

If you have an arc welder, run a short bead of weld on it. That will heat it up and give your pipe wrench or vice grips something to grip when you twist it.
misfitnick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys!! I honestly didn't realize that the original shock bushings remained on the lower trailing arms (I thought for some reason that the bushing sleeves were an integral part of the trailing arm that the rubber shock bushing might slide over...). After heating them up with a propane torch and hitting them with my air hammer, they popped right off. Thanks again for everybody that replied to my inquiry, I am in your debt.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: "Lowered" front shocks...how to remove the lower metal bushing? Reply with quote

yes those old shock bushings can be a pain in the...like some other stuff you come across on an old VW Crying or Very sad
Glad you managed to get it off. Mounting new shocks will make a huge improvement to handling.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENAK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: "Lowered" front shocks...how to remove the lower metal bushing? Reply with quote

To revive an old thread for clarification....

The bottom sleeve is from the old shock and should be removed?

I know obvious question. I just wanna make sure befor I break something.

Thank you.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: "Lowered" front shocks...how to remove the lower metal bushing? Reply with quote

Picture please. Since you are asking, let’s be sure you get the correct answer!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
ZENAK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: "Lowered" front shocks...how to remove the lower metal bushing? Reply with quote

On closer inspection. I have realized I’m an idiot. After heat and lots of it, I was able to remove the old shock sleeve.

Note to all. Search and READ.

Sorry 😑
joebsa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: "Lowered" front shocks...how to remove the lower metal bushing? Reply with quote

I successfully removed the lower sleeve from my new shock and destroyed the rubber bushing. Had to order a new shock. My bad. If I had measured the OD of the the new shock sleeve and then measured the OD of the stud at first, I would have realized that the sleeve was still rusted onto the stud. I remember weeks ago removing the shocks and noticing that there were no sleeves in the bushings at the bottom, shrugged my shoulders and proceeded to throw them in the trash. I looked at the lower arm stud and thought that it was part of the stud due to how clean it looked. After heating it up with MAPP gas and putting a pipe wrench on it, off it came. $25 mistake, wasted time, but I will never forget what I learned and hung up that damaged new shock on my wall of shame.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: