Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

(Nadine) 1969 Neptune Blue Panel Delivery
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:18 pm    Post subject: (Nadine) 1969 Neptune Blue Panel Delivery Reply with quote

Well after about a month's communication, I took off last week and drove the 1300 miles to retrieve this 69 Panel from Lambertville, New Jersey. That's right, 19 hours later, I was finally loading up the bus. Overall trip clocked in just over 2600 miles.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Originally Neptune Blue, somewhere throughout the years, someone sanded down the original paint to the primer, where they add a yellowish-creme color. Years later someone added a baby blue color, with the belt line being white. Don't you love seeing brush strokes on your bus? Laughing

I was hoping I'd be able to remove the top crap coats, but getting through it all, it's becoming clear that there isn't any original paint left on the bus. Bummer.

Oh well, I'll have to sand it down, prep it, and shoot some L50K back onto the old gal. I guess we'll have a shiny bus after all.

A couple weeks prior to arriving, I asked the owner if the steering wheel had a lock or if the steering turned freely without a key. After nearly a decade sitting, he had managed to lose the keys. And yes, you know it. After driving all those miles, it took ten seconds to find out the bus did in fact have a steering wheel lock. Second kicker? In NJ, gas stations not only pump people's gas, but perform many of their needs mechanically within their neighborhoods. So finding a jack to lift the front beam to maneuver the bus for loading onto the trailer took some time and more effort than I wanted to exert after driving nonstop. No one owned any tools!

Anyways, here's the dirty girl as I picked her up, safely at the house.

The tar-backed insulation throughout the cargo area:

That shit had to go. Using fresh flat razor blades and Goo Gone, it's coming off nicely. The only down fall is where the adhesive was, its leaving a tinge of brown, discoloring the interior panels from the tar.

Still lacking the top portion closest to the front cab, but numb fingers and daylight called for continuation another day. I'll continue progress tomorrow.

Don't worry, no sheep were harmed in these seat covers. They were China's finest.

Picked up a rebuilt long block you see in the photos above, assuming it's a 1600. The previous owner doesn't remember. Built on a VW U case, so believe it to be a 73ish type 3 engine.

Metal work will take place on the front floor:

And also the rear lower rockers, both sides. There is some rust trouble along the lower engine hatch support and lower hatch lock area, this will call for some donor bus bits in time.

Thanks for looking guys, I've got some big plans for this lady. This bus was shipped to LA, where it spent most of it's years in Washington State. Maybe someone here will recognize it, not too many panels anymore. The only thing tying it to days out west was a sticker for a record label in Seattle. There's some funky stuff taking place within the bus, so I'll be sure to share that nonsense soon.

Take care, enjoy life and stay healthy,

Sam

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: (Nadine) 1969 Neptune Blue Panel Delivery Reply with quote

It's a lot more solid than I was thinking it would be when you sent me the first pictures! Is that a split bus rear bumper? I like that it has a westy sliding door handle. I'd be tempted to just clean it up and drive it as it is!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: (Nadine) 1969 Neptune Blue Panel Delivery Reply with quote

So, Sam, I guess this means that you are not interested in the 1976 panel that is near me?

Anyone else want a nice panel van?
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RIX70Bay Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: (Nadine) 1969 Neptune Blue Panel Delivery Reply with quote

In one of the middle pics, it looks like house insulation in the panel. I had the same stuff in my 70 Bay. Is that the type of insulation that is in these buses?

1970 7 Passenger Bus (Rose)
1968 Square back (Baby Huey)
1970 Standard Bug
1951 Crosley Super
1968 Camaro (Gifted to my son)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: (Nadine) 1969 Neptune Blue Panel Delivery Reply with quote

thefalconer_88 wrote:
It's a lot more solid than I was thinking it would be when you sent me the first pictures! Is that a split bus rear bumper? I like that it has a westy sliding door handle. I'd be tempted to just clean it up and drive it as it is!

It is indeed, a split slash style rear bumper. Like many of these, never know the stories that led to the state we find them.

Someone had a thing for red. They painted just the most random items red. The Westy handle I’ll keep, see if I can’t get it back to being the off white.

The panels for the slider seem odd? Don’t recall seeing those for delivery buses. I’ve seen photos where the just had a middle type panel hiding the slider door mechanism and cables.

I have full intent to get it back to being Neptune Blue. I’ve already ordered the replacement metal for the rockers and front floor/battery tray. The current engine is sloppy, the long block I need to investigate.

Overall, it’s a really solid bus.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: (Nadine) 1969 Neptune Blue Panel Delivery Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
So, Sam, I guess this means that you are not interested in the 1976 panel that is near me?

John, as of right now, I’m at my cap. Though the French Panel is a nice buy, I fell in love with this one being an earlier bay. So far, it’s surprisingly solid.

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: (Nadine) 1969 Neptune Blue Panel Delivery Reply with quote

RIX70Bay wrote:
In one of the middle pics, it looks like house insulation in the panel. I had the same stuff in my 70 Bay. Is that the type of insulation that is in these buses?

Though I have found “house” fiberglass insulation behind Westfalia interior panels, I don’t think VW had anything in the Delivery models. That was some previous owners additions. Same with the endless hell of removing the tar backed insulation along the walls and ceiling.

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: (Nadine) 1969 Neptune Blue Panel Delivery Reply with quote

Recap of day 2.

Lots of scrubbing with flat blades and Goo Gone. My fingertips are number than Eric Clapton’s guitar-picking sausage links.

But the pain was totally worth it. Photos of today’s efforts, please enjoy.

Yes, that is rust along the rear hatch latch area. Bummer. I need donor metal for this (wink wink)

Someone through the years added this port plug do-hickies. My guesses are limitless.

The Factory loaf line (red line) clearly visible now with the dirt and grime removed.

One hole to weld up and the cargo floor is exceptional.

Front seat pedestals:

Front floor has really bad spots, but overall is very much intact. I’ll be splicing within these originals when the replacement metal arrives.

Plan is to leave the bus as factory, using a off-white headliner just over the front cab area.

I need a couple headliner poles for what it’s worth.

Have a good evening guys,

Sam

subliminaldood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: (Nadine) 1969 Neptune Blue Panel Delivery Reply with quote

If it isn't to late, Super Clean in the purple bottle works very well for cleaning up old grime. My engine bay is nearly spotless thanks to that and a nylon brush. Just be sure to wear gloves.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: (Nadine) 1969 Neptune Blue Panel Delivery Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
Recap of day 2.

Lots of scrubbing with flat blades and Goo Gone. My fingertips are number than Eric Clapton’s guitar-picking sausage links.

But the pain was totally worth it. Photos of today’s efforts, please enjoy.

Yes, that is rust along the rear hatch latch area. Bummer. I need donor metal for this (wink wink)

Someone through the years added this port plug do-hickies. My guesses are limitless.

The Factory loaf line (red line) clearly visible now with the dirt and grime removed.

One hole to weld up and the cargo floor is exceptional.

Front seat pedestals:

Front floor has really bad spots, but overall is very much intact. I’ll be splicing within these originals when the replacement metal arrives.

Plan is to leave the bus as factory, using a off-white headliner just over the front cab area.

I need a couple headliner poles for what it’s worth.

Have a good evening guys,

Sam

My fingers are hurting just looking at the before and after.

That’s Gods work, Sam....beautiful.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: (Nadine) 1969 Neptune Blue Panel Delivery Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
jtauxe wrote:

John, as of right now, I’m at my cap. Though the French Panel is a nice buy, I fell in love with this one being an earlier bay. So far, it’s surprisingly solid.

Ha ha. To each his/her own. I much prefer the type 2b models, since you can stuff a Type IV engine in the back.

Looks like you are cleaning this one up real nice, though. Good luck with it!
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: (Nadine) 1969 Neptune Blue Panel Delivery Reply with quote

Seeing Red, well now less of it.

Seat Bulk Heads Before:

After using some Graffiti Remover:

The things that previous owner's do to these buses is absolutely bewildering.

Have a great weekend guys,

Sam

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: (Nadine) 1969 Neptune Blue Panel Delivery Reply with quote

Took advantage of some shop time this past Sunday.

Tore apart the front brakes. This is the first bus I've worked on that the metal brake lines were so brittle they snapped with the lightest pressure of a wrench.

With those components removed, I scrubbed up the wheel wells, wire brushed and scrubbed the spindle and beam components.

Here's a high glare shot of the driver side I wrapped up a little after 9pm last night.

The fill reservoir was of course shot, so I replaced it along with it's plastic supply tube.

See, isn't that better? Laughing

I also removed both bumpers. The nose has some gnarly rust issues. So it'll be calling for the inner and skin of the front valance, the lower dog legs, along with the lower nose repair skin. That's all down the road, I've got too many to-do's on too many lists already.

Having the rear bumper removed gave way to drop the worn out engine.

The endplay on this engine is insane.

I took the time to scrub down the engine bay with better access, removing the firewall panel to inspect the fuel tank.

Surprised at how clean the fuel that was in the tank actually is, I'm hoping once I get the tank removed, a visual inspection will confirm a solid, and clean fuel tank. Having it out, I'll replace the sending unit, fuel vapor lines, fuel neck, and screen on the bottom of the tank.

I tend to put my ultrasonic cleaner to work about every time I'm wrenching on a bus anymore. I used it here to clean all the original hardware.

Awaiting brake components:
wheel cylinders (front and rear)
Front brake lines
Brake Hoses (front and rear)
Parking Brake cables
Master Cylinder

I've taken the stock 14" rims to have powder coated. I'll order tires up when I get back next week. I'm needing to track down the components to get the spare in place in the rear wheel well.

As far as the long block goes, I'm also dropping off the engine tin to have it blasted and powder coated. I've ordered up a carb, an intake, various gaskets, a new oil cooler, and some other odds and ends to start making it an actual engine. Which reminds me, I need to figure out what clutch setup I need.

Here's a shot of my Hazet Assistent. Most notably being an awesome shop speaker cart. Do we have to have things that are expensive and merely a practice of tunnel-vision psychosis for ownership?! Laughing

Have a great week guys, do something that makes you happy.

Sam

Last edited by SamboSamba22 on Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:17 am; edited 2 times in total
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: (Nadine) 1969 Neptune Blue Panel Delivery Reply with quote

That’s a lot of cleaning in one day. It’s addictive when you get going and seeing results, huh. This bus of yours is super cool. Thanks for posting.
1960 211 Panel American Camper Conversion
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: (Nadine) 1969 Neptune Blue Panel Delivery Reply with quote

Awesome work Sam - is/was that red spray paint on the seat rear panel? I've had good luck myself with graffiti remover spray (Goo Gone) removing old paint, since the PO of my Bus randomly did the same thing. Had to use a lot of elbow greases and a green Scotch Brite to get the thicker bits rubbed gone but it worked.

I'll never get to the OG Kansas Beige, but it'll be really cool to see you get back the Blue on this one!

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: (Nadine) 1969 Neptune Blue Panel Delivery Reply with quote

Some PO of my '75 single cab had sprayed the entire interior (OK, it's a single cab, so not that much) with black spray paint. I took it off with a lot of acetone and elbow grease. Soooo nasty. Still had to repaint, too.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: (Nadine) 1969 Neptune Blue Panel Delivery Reply with quote

mikewire wrote:
Awesome work Sam - is/was that red spray paint on the seat rear panel? I've had good luck myself with graffiti remover spray (Goo Gone) removing old paint, since the PO of my Bus randomly did the same thing. Had to use a lot of elbow greases and a green Scotch Brite to get the thicker bits rubbed gone but it worked.

Yeah someone along the way thought it would be a good idea to shoot red spray paint throughout various sections of the bus. Graffiti remover is doing the trick, but it's a delicate balance of time and scrubbing. Left on too long or to abrasive, it cuts to the factory primer.

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: (Nadine) 1969 Neptune Blue Panel Delivery Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
Some PO of my '75 single cab had sprayed the entire interior (OK, it's a single cab, so not that much) with black spray paint. I took it off with a lot of acetone and elbow grease. Soooo nasty. Still had to repaint, too.

It's such a pain in the ass job. Very messy and having to contain the goop of the remover in efforts to keep it from getting where you don't want to remove paint is the annoying bit. I've got plenty left to remove, thanks for feeling my pain Cool

Sam

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: (Nadine) 1969 Neptune Blue Panel Delivery Reply with quote

I was very happy this evening to find a relatively clean fuel tank. Even the sending unit is in nice shape. Though I've ordered a replacement sender, the original has smooth hearing operation inside, so I'm going to stick with it.

Should I submerge the original sender in anything to "improve" it? Ya know, break up some of that rusty junk that you know just has to be in there.

Engine bay with fuel tank removed, prior to cleaning.

After some scrubbin'

Mind you, still being mostly use to late bay buses, to remove the grey firewall cover, you remove the phillips screws along the panel facing you. There are also 2 phillips screws underneath retaining the panel. What I didn't realize was there was in fact 4 screws on the bottom of the panel. Does anyone know when VW made this change from 4 to 2 screws on the bottom of the firewall panel?
(accessed just below the panel, above the transaxle and starter)

Dropped off the 5 rims and 16 pieces of various engine tin bits to be sandblasted and powder coated. Rims will be gloss white. Engine tin and mustache bars will be gloss black.

Really juggling time until parts come in later this week. You guys will just have to work on your own projects until I can give you something to read while sitting across your wife.

(now laugh, did she ask what was so funny? Aren't they nosey?) Laughing

jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: (Nadine) 1969 Neptune Blue Panel Delivery Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
... until I can give you something to read while sitting across your wife.

Sitting across my wife? I don't think she would like that. Confused
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: