Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

(Nadine) 1969 Neptune Blue Panel Delivery
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: (Nadine) 1969 Neptune Blue Panel Delivery Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
SamboSamba22 wrote:
... until I can give you something to read while sitting across your wife.

Sitting across my wife? I don't think she would like that. Confused

Am I the only one who gets yelled at for being on my phone?! The miss always tells me all I do is “Volkswagen crap”

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: (Nadine) 1969 Neptune Blue Panel Delivery Reply with quote

Over the last couple days I've tackled some electrical connection issues in the dash, cleaned all the grounds on all four exterior light assemblies, replaced the positive and negative battery cables as well as the transaxle cable.

Replaced the rear shift coupler, the front coupler that resides in the front of the shift tube (68-71 bushing), greased all components and cleaned up the shift block off plate and housing. I checked the transaxle code (CA) because the throw on the shifter is so long, 3rd hits the parking brake release. I've known this to be an issue when 091's are installed into earlier buses as they have longer throws, but it's the original box for the year. Thoughts? Could the shifter have been replaced with a later year? I'm not aware of shifters being different throughout 68-79.

Wrapped up the front brakes with bending new metal lines, rubber hoses, wheel cylinders, shoes, and getting a new master cylinder installed. I went ahead and installed the drums, made adjustments for the shoes prior to adding brake fluid. I learned this years ago, if you do a brake job, and DO NOT adjust the shoes out to mate the drum first, when bleeding the system, without that resistance you'll basically pop the pistons out of the wheel cylinders and have a mess of things behind the drum. Which of course makes sense now, but a thought that didn't occur my first go around to what seems like forever ago.

Driver side
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Passenger side

Note that I did reuse the inner metal supply line between wheel cylinders.

Purchased a battery to test the functions of the electrical, with much surprise I have most components working. Up initial testing, the only items not cooperating are the horn, the fuel gauge, the reverse lights and the dash lights.

I dug around a bit behind the dash, removed all the wiring, cleaned the connections, the wire ends themselves, and reinstalled everything. Always take the time to label the wires, it makes it so much easier for reinstall.

Discovered the front turn signal housing grounds were broken. Fixed those, and the quick turn signal flash went away. Also discovered that the coil within the headlight switch that operates the dimming of the lights was shot. The switch will function running and headlights, but theres no dimming of the current non-existent dash lights. Bulbs are good, receiving 12v. So my theory is the circuit within the headlight switch is causing a fuss.

Still awaiting my replacement floor metal and battery tray. Klassicfab shipped it out two Wednesday's ago. This past Wednesday, FEDEX delivered to someone in Stockton, CA. My package was suppose to go to Benton, AR! WTF?!

Received a bunch of the engine parts: generator, ignition coil, drive pinion, fuel pump, carburetor, ignition components, oil cooler, and the various items that all are on standby until I pick up my engine tin from the powder coater. I have items I need to clean up for that engine as well; intake, generator stand, fan, Hoover bit, thermostat and its bits, and probably a bunch of items I've currently gone blank on this morning.

Though it's ugly, I'm trying to get the bus operational, so I can at least drive it in and out of the shop, making it easier to move paying projects in and out. I want to take it to the Eureka Springs show, but the miss doesn't like that idea. She said it looks like a "creeper van" Laughing

Perhaps it does, but it isn't anywhere as creepy as that Panel Jason had with the Toy Company all over it, with it's dancing toys! Laughing

Have a great weekend everyone, stay safe

Sam

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: (Nadine) 1969 Neptune Blue Panel Delivery Reply with quote

Been crunching away the past week or so bringing life into this long block I picked up with Panel last month.

Here it is nice and naked, checking flywheel shims, flywheel seal, and endplay.

I know the engine sat for a long time, so I pulled the rocker assemblies off and checked torque on the cylinder head nuts. Yep, most were loose.

Installed the drive pinion gear with the distributor. Installed with the mandatory two washers (spacers) as well. Getting those installed in an assembled case was fun Shocked

Installed oil cooler, generator stand. Checked torque on case half nuts and bolts.

The weight of the engine started to scare me a bit on the table, so I transferred the engine onto a transmission jack with a piece of plywood. Makes a good work surface.

Reused an old exhaust setup and clutch kit from another engine. All in decent shape.

The powder coated items look really nice. Also picked up the wheels, awaiting tires.

These are late Split/early bay stock 14" bus wheels.

Once tires get in, I'll be able to move it out into a cubby in the shop and start working on paying customer's projects Laughing

Sam

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: (Nadine) 1969 Neptune Blue Panel Delivery Reply with quote

Just an update, the engine started to knock immediately on start up! So much for having luck on a mystery long block!!! Laughing

Looks like it's going to need to be pulled, torn apart, and inspected.

Nothing like parking the bus with brand new tires...

Sam

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: (Nadine) 1969 Neptune Blue Panel Delivery Reply with quote

Not a whole lot has happened with the panel the last few months.
I did manage to pull the rear window out, along with the front windshield. The nose is completely rotten under the glass, and with all the damage and mud on the lower sections, looks like I'll be doing another nose replacement on a bay bus!

The Panel will be rolling to the sandblaster in a couple weeks. Going to rip all the crud off, pull doors, and have the exterior blasted and epoxy primed. This will give me a clean and clear state of the buses solidness, and the metal work may begin.

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: (Nadine) 1969 Neptune Blue Panel Delivery Reply with quote

Well damn, it's been so long uploading photos seemed that of a distant memory Laughing
I've been relatively busy with life and work the past 5 months, I'm beginning to learn why all the old fellas say wrenching on other folks cars, you lose interest in doing it on your own.
But aside from my personal absence on here, the Panel has been receiving some progress. I decide to have the entire exterior sandblasted and epoxy primed, while not messing with rusted front cab doors nor the trashed deck lid.

The bus being blasted in stages, showing the good and the bad. Overall, I didn't think it was too gnarly for a Washington State to New Jersey Early Bay.

Passenger side rear rocker and corner rot.

Gotta love when metal repair includes irrigating the sheet metal Laughing

A couple weeks ago, I decided to chop the roached nose off. A process I've decided to do twice now on my last two personal buses.

Fortunately the inner structure and A pillars are clean and solid aside from where the lower A pillar section welds to the inner end caps that support the inner valance. I'll have to cut the rust out and create patches to weld the caps to before building back up the framing for the nose skin.

The front floor isn't all that bad. Both driver and passenger rot is really isolated to a "resting feet" area, seemingly from wet boots out in WA. I'll be using Klassicfab patch panels for the floor.

As you guys may have been tagging along before my monthly break, the mystery longblock ended wasting some time and energy, so while I've continued to put off it teardown and dissection, I've begun building a new engine for the Panel.

1691cc
- New Brazilian VW case
- CB Performance C/W 69.5mm crankshaft
- AA Pistons Thickwall 88mm Pistons/Cylinders
- AA Pistons 500 Series Heads (Ported and Polished by Brother's Machine Shop w/ Matched Ported Carb Manifolds)
- SCAT 5.4 I beam Rods
- Engle W90 Camshaft
- Engle Single Hi-Rev Springs, Chromoly Caps and Keepers
- Scat 1.1:1 Rockers (so using traditional heli-cut timing and cam gears)
- 26mm Schadek Oil Pump
- 8.1:1 Compression Ratio
- Weber 40 IDF's
- Vintage Speed Sport Exhaust
- Stock Weight Flywheel

Currently waiting on the cylinder heads to finish up the long block. Decided today as I'd want a new (rebuilt) transaxle with the new engine as I don't know the shape of the unit in the bus, so I called Rick up at Wright Gearbox to put me down for one. This building on a budget sure does add up Cool
Sam

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: (Nadine) 1969 Neptune Blue Panel Delivery Reply with quote

As the bus sits today in my middle bay, awaiting its continued love with my time and wallet.

mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: (Nadine) 1969 Neptune Blue Panel Delivery Reply with quote

Looking awesome Sam!

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: (Nadine) 1969 Neptune Blue Panel Delivery Reply with quote

I'd say this bus was lucky picking its new owner. Keep it up!
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: (Nadine) 1969 Neptune Blue Panel Delivery Reply with quote

metz wrote:
I'd say this bus was lucky picking its new owner. Keep it up!

"Did I find you, or you find me?" - Talking Heads

Thanks dude, plenty left on the table. Trying to get the engine and transmission squared away, so I can at least drive it in and out of the shop for paying customer's projects Laughing

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: (Nadine) 1969 Neptune Blue Panel Delivery Reply with quote

Spent some money with a couple guys within the community. Bought a set of commercial gray hubcaps with white painted centers.

This is the first bus I’ve lowered from stock. A few weeks back I installed WagenWest 2.5” drop spindles. Really nice stuff from Nate. Now what to do with the rear…

Sam

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: (Nadine) 1969 Neptune Blue Panel Delivery Reply with quote

Finally moving along engine wise, I spent some time yesterday setting up rocker geometry and pushrod length. To achieve the proper angle at half lift, I coincidentally was still able to retain the stock push rod. That was nice.

Waiting on heater boxes from being sand blasted and coated, and trying to decide what to do exhaust wise.

Everyone and their mom is out of the Weber 40's, so I'm trying to figure out my approach right now. Though I'm waiting on my transaxle from Wright Gear, I'm ready to get this engine under load and break in this camshaft. Not my first choice, but do the HPMX 40's clear the stock fan shrouds? I'm almost tempted to just install a damn Solex PICT 34/3 at this point.

Still needing to delete the mount for the oil bath in the engine bay.

More to come. Cool

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: (Nadine) 1969 Neptune Blue Panel Delivery Reply with quote

Got around to installing some more key components to the Panel’s engine build. Getting really close to firing it up and burning in that camshaft!

I ended up ordering a fuel pump and distributor from Bill at Sparxwerks. Very pleased with the finish and care, as always.

A close up of the fuel pump. Note this is with the usage of an alternator.

Clears just fine.

I didn’t take any photos of the distributor, but it’s a beautiful 034 that Bill did up nicely. I’m hoping to be able to use it with the dual carbs, if vacuum is an issue, I’ll stash it away and buy a magnaspark or something comparable.

Took a lot longer than it should have, assembly due to the fan shroud made it more difficult and time consuming, but here is the engine with the carbs installed.

Waiting for some free time to fire this bad boy up. The Panel has tons of metal work left to do, but at least when the engines back in, I can drive it in and out of the shop and drive it into the first bay to make use of the lift to get some better access underneath for welding the front end.

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: (Nadine) 1969 Neptune Blue Panel Delivery Reply with quote

Well today was the day, I set up my test stand bits and fired it over. Removed ignition components, hooked up lights to oil pressure gauge and cranked for a good 30 seconds. Pressure wasn't an issue, light goes out immediately upon cranking. I know I know, but what was the ACTUAL oil pressure? I don't know, that gauge hasn't come in yet, but will be installed in the bus.

Had an issue getting fuel, and after removing the beautiful pump Bill restored for me, I realized I had the wrong fuel pump rod, so the other new Brazilian pump went back on until I get the correct push rod.

No leaks, no grinds, grunts, knocks, etc...just some occasional exhaust popping due the exhaust on the engine for the test run processing. Running the dual Webers deletes the pre-heat riser tube needs but I impatiently didn't cap them off.

Happy day, ready for my transaxle to arrive from Wright Gearbox!

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: (Nadine) 1969 Neptune Blue Panel Delivery Reply with quote

UPDATE TIME!

The bus and I (and the family) just completed the 29th Annual Eureka Springs VW Show in Eureka Springs, Arkansas. Always love coming up to that area. Nothing like breaking in a new motor with a 50 minute 1/2 gear parade in the heat of August! Laughing

Here the front nose clip, epoxy primed, ready to be installed onto the bus.

But first I had to weld up the front valance skin. I am still needing to complete both passenger and driver dog leg sections. Also needing to address the lower A pillar on the driver side, so shame me, the front valance is currently "floating" on that side.

I really need to start buying weld-through primer.

And with the new Klassicfab nose installed. I weld the headlight buckets onto the nose while it is off, which gives much better access to the tabs for the buckets. Wire wheel the paint off, drill a couple holes in the buckets and plug weld them together. Easy peasy.

Installed some H4 headlights while I was at it, they truly are a great improvement over the stock sealed bulbed headlights.

On the trailer, ready to head to Eureka Springs this past Friday morning.

Here she is stanced up, outside of La Familia Mexican restaurant in Eureka. The service was terrible so we bounced, went to Amigos downtown. Great food.

Not seen in any of the photos, but that I'm currently still feeling:
- Installed Headliner
- Reupholstered the Front two seats
- Plumbed my VDO Oil Temp Gauge
- Installed Door Panels, Door glass, seals, sweeps, rebuilt the window regulators, installed the pedestal mats, walk through mat, front floor mat.
- Drained oil, ran valves, and away we went! Cool

(I was an absolute zombie in the heat on Saturday during the show after Thursday night's 20hr day. Never Again.)

Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: (Nadine) 1969 Neptune Blue Panel Delivery Reply with quote

damn that's a good update

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: (Nadine) 1969 Neptune Blue Panel Delivery Reply with quote

Thank you Brian. So much work goes into these things that's never seen. I don't attend the shows for accolades or awards, I attend for the community. People have such nice cars, endless pocket books.

And the cleanest, softest hands. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Here's a couple shots of the interior. I thought I had pulled the headliner tighter in the section you seem "bunched up", I'm okay with the outcome, wish it was a little cleaner finish, but not bad for a first headliner go. Much easier it being just the front cab area.

The seat covers and door cards are TMI of course, their color VW Gray, which is more of a light tan/gray tone. I like it, though I do think it will show more dirt, grime, and wear than the typical beige/tan leatherette.

She's coming along. I've got about 200 miles on the 1700 I built, which will soon be dumping the oil and running the valves. I also need to address the exhaust leak that has been present but gotten a little better since I installed the Vintage Speed exhaust.

I'm also getting a little bit of a lean pop (rarely) which I think is from needing some adjustments on the fuel/air mixtures on the Weber 40's. Kicker is, I believe my stock rebuilt pump is pushing out too much pressure, because when I adjust the screws out, it's simply too rich. Jets are about spot on for what I need application wise, so I'm thinking my fuel pressure is too high. I've read mixed opinions, what do dual Webers like best as far as fuel pressure?

jeb1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: (Nadine) 1969 Neptune Blue Panel Delivery Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:

I ended up ordering a fuel pump and distributor from Bill at Sparxwerks. Very pleased with the finish and care, as always.

I've been thinking about adding one of these to my 1600 single port with an alternator. I see it clears the alternator once installed, but can you remove and install the fuel pump with the alternator installed?
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: (Nadine) 1969 Neptune Blue Panel Delivery Reply with quote

jeb1978 wrote:
SamboSamba22 wrote:

I've been thinking about adding one of these to my 1600 single port with an alternator. I see it clears the alternator once installed, but can you remove and install the fuel pump with the alternator installed?

Yes. There’s more room there than what appears in the photos.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: