Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which bare head casting to start with?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Which bare head casting to start with? Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
Brian_e wrote:

The Mofoco 042's are quite a bit heavier, and the castings are way nicer than the AA heads. The ports are decent shaped out of the box, and the bowls are decent, but mine came with huge undercuts under the seats. The casting flash is a little worse than the AA, but not terrible. They should flow better than the AA out of the box, but I haven't had them on the flow bench yet.
I did. On a customers set of heads Out of the box they flowed about the advetised numbers, but the port velocity suffered in the bowl due to the huge ledge over the seats. Also the exhaust port velocity could be better. The ports are too large at the exit. I got a set for a customer w.o. valves. I made a 41 mm valve that fit the seat with a proper seat to valve relation, filled up the ledge and gave the seats a good 4 angle cut and gained 10 cfm, without touching the chamber.

The new CB 044 are really heavy, and the casting is amazing. Zero casting flash. The bare head ports aren't shaped as nice as the mofoco's But still way better than the AA. The new 044 chamber is the new heart shape, and CB has done a bunch of CFD research making the new chambers. Personally I think this new chamber is lights years ahead of the other VW chambers.

Pretty sure you aren't getting any decent hand ported heads for under $1500 from anyone who knows what they are doing unless they are built on China castings.

For the money, the Panchitos really are killer heads. Small port volume, and super efficient CFD ports. They aren't the perfect head for everything like some seem to think, but for 2000-2276cc big torque engines, they are really really good. The non-cnc versions need a bunch of work in the chamber. Without, they choke a little early on the flow bench. Scroll through the CB engine builds and see some of the numbers they are getting with them, and the very different combos they are used on.

If you need a 2332cc head that will rev higher than 6000rpm, I think the CNC wedgeport is the next option. It has a smaller port volume than the others, and the flow it still way up there.

These are just my observations from what I have seen and heald in my hands.

Brian

Thank you two for the feedback. As I know these ledges cut my flow a little; I have readily admitted to this occurring on some of my heads. I have been working for the last few years to improve my heads one thing at a time; this is next on my list. Also, this only occurs on my 040, 042 and 050 Rasser cylinder heads so once I do make the change, as you said, I will get even more flow than I have now.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Which bare head casting to start with? Reply with quote

DerrickfromNC1 wrote:
My fav off the shelf heads for this engine are the:

CB CNC mini wedge
CB CNC ultra mag plus
CB Panchitos

Roy at MOFOCO mentioned in several post last year about an all new higher flowing as cast 050 that would be out this year. I check his site regularly for info on this head but have no heard anything. What’s going MOFOCO?

Also whose using those DRD/EMPI heads?

This pandemic has put a huge delay on anything new from me. Between labor issues, shutdowns(of other businesses and industries) and that my business has tripled over the last 8 months, I am still hoping to have them done by the end of the summer. The test set is on my motor, in my car. My goal was to get it tuned as perfectly as possible, make some 1/8 mile runs at Great Lakes Dragaway, take my car to a chassis dyno and then remove the heads to do the flow testing. So far, I have my car running and driving but that's it.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Which bare head casting to start with? Reply with quote

Good to hear Roy. Keep your head down and keep improving things!! I am eager to see what you come up with for the next ported version.

Brian
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Which bare head casting to start with? Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:
Good to hear Roy. Keep your head down and keep improving things!! I am eager to see what you come up with for the next ported version.

Brian

Same here!
I’m on go for my next set of heads per the wife. Since my dub is on jackstands and I’m currently doing home improvement projects I can wait a little longer b4 I pull the trigger. A set of 050s that flow similar numbers to some of CBs off the shelf heads CNC heads such as the UltraMag at a comparable price would be a welcome addition to the market and my 1st choice!

Derrick from NC
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: