Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

distributor as cam sensor options...
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject: distributor as cam sensor options... Reply with quote

hi there,

so when running sequential, you need a cam sensor of some sort, or a way to tell the ecu where #1 piston is at... duh

so, what kind of distributor can i use? i see that the late 2.0 type 4 distributors already have a hall sensor, but will the body and shaft fit into a type 1 case? if so, then can i just remove 3 of the windows?

or, can i take any distributor, strip it, lock it, and put a magnet on the rotor and make a custom cap for it, that is drilled and tapped in the right spot for a vr sensor, that way, when the rotor is pointing at the number 1 position, the sensor will send a signal to the ecu?

ive also seen someone add an internal magnet on the cam gear and drill and tap the case for a hall sensor. does anyone have any experiance doing so.

i saw this here,

https://ub-52.blogspot.com/2010/01/blog-post.html

im also open to other ideas, but i would like to use a distributor that has the same shaft as a type 1 so it will drop right into the current hole.

thank you
aiden
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: distributor as cam sensor options... Reply with quote

Do you have a 1979-83.5 aircooled bus/van distributor with all the fixin’s on the shelf??

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: distributor as cam sensor options... Reply with quote

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/7073.htm

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: distributor as cam sensor options... Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

I know, but they have been out of stock for months and when I talked to him he says it would be AT least two months. And the other one that another company makes is out of my price range.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: distributor as cam sensor options... Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Do you have a 1979-83.5 aircooled bus/van distributor with all the fixin’s on the shelf??

I do not. Why?
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: distributor as cam sensor options... Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

I know, but they have been out of stock for months and when I talked to him he says it would be AT least two months. And the other one that another company makes is out of my price range.

I have the micro cam sync on mine.

After getting the tune dialed in ive never bothered to make the switch to sequential

Sequential injection and spark really isn’t nearly as big a deal as it gets made out to be

1965 Chevy c30, Microsquirt turbo aluminum 5.3/nv4500
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: distributor as cam sensor options... Reply with quote

Hmmmmm, I though more people would of done this Think
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: distributor as cam sensor options... Reply with quote

If you just grind three of the four lobes off the points cam it would be a mechanical hall sensor. Can be wired to produce a 0-12 volt or 0-5 volt signal.
THe rest of the distributor could be used as....a distributor.
Using points to run modern electronics.....weird eh? but I do it all the time. Works good.

or
Compufire with one magnet? Wink
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: distributor as cam sensor options... Reply with quote

modok wrote:
If you just grind three of the four lobes off the points cam it would be a mechanical hall sensor. Can be wired to produce a 0-12 volt or 0-5 volt signal.
THe rest of the distributor could be used as....a distributor.
Using points to run modern electronics.....weird eh? but I do it all the time. Works good.

Ok madok, hand over the rest of the info... hand it over nice and slow and I wont shoot you Shocked gee, take a joke man! Seriously, this, I'm interested in. Time for me to buy a cheap big cap 40hp distributor and get on it! My biggest question is, how to you connect the signal from the distributor to the other end? Can I reverse engine-nerd something?

Thanks
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: distributor as cam sensor options... Reply with quote

40 or 60 ohm resistor between 12v ignition power and points.
When points are open, 12 volts
when closed, 0 volts
similar to this
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: distributor as cam sensor options... Reply with quote

modok wrote:
40 or 60 ohm resistor between 12v ignition power and points.
When points are open, 12 volts
when closed, 0 volts
similar to this

thanks a ton Madok, do you think there would be any advantage to use the same principle, but with a cheap electronic ignition module/ a real hall sensor?

thanks
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: distributor as cam sensor options... Reply with quote

Our 5.9 / 360 Magnum died in the driveway last week. I did a lot of YT and found scannerdanner who has some great trade school vids on troubleshooting modern cars. The Dodge uses a "square wave, 5 volt, pull down, hall effect sensor for the cam position sensor in the dist and also for the crank position sensor. You CAN test them with a volt meter but a scanner is best.

I looked for pics of the inside of the dodge dist. The rotor is basically solid for 1/2 of the diameter then open for the other half. I was expecting windows. I guess the leading edge of the rotor is the signal. So it really is determined by what your computer can be programmed to read.

BTW, after testing the cam position sensor and crank sensor both were good and the 5 v bus was not shorting out so I ordered a rebuilt computer and it fired up instantly. WOOTT !!

Here is a vid with pics of the inside of the dodge dist.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=dodge+5.9+v8+...orm%3DQBVR
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: distributor as cam sensor options... Reply with quote

Yes you could use a compufire, I would still add a resistor as a "dummy load".
It would just go across the two wires.
the nice thing about that.... is it could be 100% reversible.

Tho, I like the simplicity of the points idea.
They last an incredibly long time if just used as a 'sensor" instead of handling all the power.
I've been using the same set of points since 2012, and they weren't new then.
5-6 days a week.
You could also use maybe the sensor from a crane xr700 ignition kit, which is an optical trigger, I'll have to look that up.... but I think it would be even easier and maybe cheap cause nobody likes those.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: distributor as cam sensor options... Reply with quote

rayjay wrote:
Our 5.9 / 360 Magnum died in the driveway last week. I did a lot of YT and found scannerdanner who has some great trade school vids on troubleshooting modern cars. The Dodge uses a "square wave, 5 volt, pull down, hall effect sensor for the cam position sensor in the dist and also for the crank position sensor. You CAN test them with a volt meter but a scanner is best.

I looked for pics of the inside of the dodge dist. The rotor is basically solid for 1/2 of the diameter then open for the other half. I was expecting windows. I guess the leading edge of the rotor is the signal. So it really is determined by what your computer can be programmed to read.

BTW, after testing the cam position sensor and crank sensor both were good and the 5 v bus was not shorting out so I ordered a rebuilt computer and it fired up instantly. WOOTT !!

Here is a vid with pics of the inside of the dodge dist.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=dodge+5.9+v8+...orm%3DQBVR

i swear i have ptsd from dodge engines. sometimes at night, when im trying to sleep, i can hear a dodge ticking under my bed Laughing glad to hear your truck isnt a ticking time bomb like my dads lol.

madok, i agree with you on just keeping it simple for now and sticking with points. if i want to use a hall sensor later, its just a bolt on basically so no biggie.

my next question if you dont mind madok: so, your a machinist, how would you go about removing the three extra lobes? just hand grind them down on a wheel? also, would it be optimal to alter the shape of the lobe? from my understading, you want to send the signal out, right when, or right before, the number one piston is at tdc. will the cam lobe contact the points too late? or in other words, is the lobe too gentle? meaning that there is too much duration? am i over thinking this? Think
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: distributor as cam sensor options... Reply with quote

Yeah just grind em down.
Good question.... i don't know for sure...... maybe nobody does know, but I THINK
IF the computer is equally capable of reading a hall or a VR sensor, I think it will be able to work fine with points.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: distributor as cam sensor options... Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
Xevin wrote:

I do not. Why?

Could be valuable to some Bay/Van owners that use those and want their car all original. Was just a thought.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: distributor as cam sensor options... Reply with quote

Could use Compu-Fire module with 3 of the 4 magnets removed, leaving only the one magnet for #1 TDC ...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: