Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:42 pm    Post subject: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Greetings everyone, I've been wanting to introduce and share my latest project for some time now. The coast is clear to start working and digging in as just this week I finally have the title in my name in my actual hand. WhooHoo!

This bus has been a while coming and actually it's been sitting in my garage since Dec 2019 waiting for the title work to get sorted. This all started out with my buddy Kevin a few years ago over a 77 Sage Green Westy that jolted me back into bus ownership after 20+ years on the sidelines. Frankly, I thought buses were all basically used up and gone and not a realistic possibility to own again and not on my radar. I was wrong. I really don't know how or why the Bay showed up and why Kevin placed it with me, but I'm glad he did. Owning that bus has flat out changed my life and upgraded it positively in too many categories to list. With the full support of my wife, we leaned into that bus with all our hearts, time and energy to eventually take on several distance runs and counting around the region. Another killer friendship blossomed with the engine builder and now mentor Brian who has taken me under his wing all things air cooled. I'm getting there and climbing as a bus man, but no masters degree yet. I have my strengths and applying myself on weaknesses.

Other buses came and went around me. Some good ones, some really roached ones and a few GREAT ones. The concept of owning a split went from no way, to maybe, to wanna shoot for one? to "Get a Split!", from my wife. A few VW shows and local runs and it doesn't take much to go there. We watched several go by and never pulled the trigger. Again, it was Kevin who found what we were looking for and put me on the phone with an awesome guy in NM and a week later we had our first split window, a 65 SWR WT Standard. Once we pulled the trigger it was like BOOM and it was here. RED needed almost everything but had a lot going for it. Taught me a lot, a lot about buses and myself both. We have two running buses now which seems crazy to me as neither ran or stopped when we got them and Red needed the lower 8 inches replace in a lot of areas which the Bay didn't. Of coarse, they still need constant attention and lessons to come, but I'm mostly on top of them and have one to run while the other is offline getting service. We always said that if something really special came along, we could make room for one more. We have bus fever pretty bad and it's not getting any better.

If I look back, I can see Kevin sending some foreshadowing clues about some bus, but we're always talking buses. Then he started showing me pictures and eventually I was standing silent in his driveway getting a look at his trailer from 30 feet away soaking it in before even walking around it. Will this be mine? Should I take it on? It's definitely older than anything I've done so far.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My wife Cat reasoned we should just get it so I have something to work on next and that we can take our time and apply what we have learned from the others. Kevin brought it over to finally get it out of the elements.

It seems to me this bus has been in the patina machine long enough. Apparently parked outside since 1977. So, I clear out and purge my last stall in the garage and park all our daily drivers outside in the winter. Having to clear them all of snow all winter and take hail damage in summer seems worth it to both of us as much as we cherish our trio.

As a matter of prudence, I don't see the point of touching the rig or buy any parts for it until the title work is done. Why jinx it? A duplicate needed applied for, some key people out on travel. I get the title and Covid hits. I go to the administrative building early March to get the title transferred to my name and there all freaked out, they say the paper sits in a folder 24 hours before they touch it. I say I'll do ya a favor and come back another time. I blow it off a few months as Covid escalates and eventually workarounds are established I finally decide to give the title work another try. I stand in a line in the sun for 1 hour in a mask and sweating through my clothes, but I'm committed to that line and all in 2 hours I get the paper work submitted and taxes paid. They say 6 weeks, it takes 4. Done! My Dad and I discuss and I say I would only do this for a sick bus, or some old Harley, Panhead or older maybe be worth it, but this 60 year old bus is def worth the hassle to me.

So that's the introduction! I have an August 31st 59, titled South Dakota 1960 converted panel Bus. Primitive camper. I've had time to research several of the camper ID threads here the last few months and feel I have it narrowed down. I can't wait to share what I have found out about the conversion and take feedback. Thanks to all the others who have made those searched fruitful and I hope this bus can add some new data points to the topic. The bus has spent it's whole life in the Black Hills of SD and I thank Kevin for trusting in me to be the guy who brings her back to life and keep her local. It's gonna be fun and require all hands on deck for sure. My neighbors thought we were crazy bringing home the first project but now we all smile and wave at them as we drive by. One has already asked me what color I'm painting this one, haha

1960 211 Panel American Camper Conversion
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

I hope you didn’t listen to the neighbor about painting it!

On a side note, I notice your sage green a Westy has carbs now. You didn’t want to keep it fuel injected ?
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

AS350driver wrote:

On a side note, I notice your sage green a Westy has carbs now. You didn’t want to keep it fuel injected ?

Thanks, yeah. That question comes along a lot with running a thin paint, blem or weathered bus. In this case a no paint bus! Sometimes it’s a nice person trying to be polite, sometimes a real bone head. I haven’t fully come up with proper responses to the question. When I try to explain why I won’t be painting it I never convert anyone and I just get bland stares back like I’m crazy or wrong, so have taken to acting like I didn’t hear them.

I went over my T4 engine build pretty thoroughly in the Hell in a Bucket thread.
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

WildIdea wrote:
AS350driver wrote:

Thanks, yeah. That question comes along a lot with running a thin paint, blem or weathered bus. In this case a no paint bus! Sometimes it’s a nice person trying to be polite, sometimes a real bone head. I haven’t fully come up with proper responses to the question. When I try to explain why I won’t be painting it I never convert anyone and I just get bland stares back like I’m crazy or wrong, so have taken to acting like I didn’t hear them.

I went over my T4 engine build pretty thoroughly in the Hell in a Bucket thread.

Ok I’ll scroll through it again, I must have missed it. I had a bear of a time getting the FI to work on my 79, but once I did I loved it.

The 60 looks pretty darn solid.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

AS350driver wrote:
WildIdea wrote:
AS350driver wrote:

Ok I’ll scroll through it again, I must have missed it. I had a bear of a time getting the FI to work on my 79, but once I did I loved it.

The 60 looks pretty darn solid.

It’s a long thread now! The FI carb choice had a lot to do with the preference of the builder and what he was doing with the heads among other things. It’s a good strong runner on its third season now, I wish you could drive it for yourself sometime.

I plan to post some more pictures of the good, bad and the ugly of this camper tomorrow after I get some dang sleep! Thanks for checking it out!
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Killer bus. Doesn't look to have ever been hit. That right side blue patch has certain outlines.
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Great find of a local vehicle. Congrats.

I also liked the backstory.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

I rolled the bus out the other day and started photographing it properly before I start emptying and cleaning it. The story is that it was parked when the owner went to WY to work in the coal beds and never fired it back up. Looks like it was spared any collisions sitting in a field that whole time. That's a lot of years sitting outside in the elements. Hot sun, rain and frigid winters have slowly done their handiwork on the metal and I'm in love with the effect. It's interesting to me that the lower sections seem to be the most well preserved. The opposite of what we typically see from water and road salt. After doing rocker and floor repair on my 65, I really find this one of the biggest pluses of this bus.

Mostly surface rust accept for the back of the passenger dogleg. I anticipate other issues when the camping interior comes out. I can't see anything coming through the cargo floor so I'm hopeful any issues that pop up will be minor. For now, this looks to be the worst section I can see. The lower hinge on the forward cargo door is a little bendy at the mount so I gather the B pilar is rotted up inside some. I've been through that metal repair before, so I'm not too concerned about the work involved there and thankfully, only that one part of the dogleg has a problem. Overall, most of the rubber is shot. The shift coupler tore just trying to get it out of gear one day. Gonna need all of that all around for sure.

So far, I can see it's missing one rear taillight lens and the other is cracked in half, two headlight glass, one commercial gray hubcap and one wiper arm. Not sure why the front mirrors are on holiday, but you have to really watch those exposed mirror arms walking around the bus. They really hurt when you don't notice and walk into them. Owe! You only do that once but I don't need everyone of my friends and family to have to learn that. The truck mirrors have an amazing coat of rust and the glass is intact, I love 'em! I'll post pics of those next. The front doors have perfect alignment although the handles need a little work. They function but seem dry and tight inside. These old tires are holding air 8 months in my garage, which I wouldn't expect, but nice to not be needing rollers. I love the thin pair of white lines. I'll have to look for a modern equivalent to replace them with if possible.

There is one pretty good bump on the lower passenger door that looks like it can get popped out and a crease up higher that can maybe get massaged as well. I've seen some incredible PDR work on OG patina panels here the Samba. I'll see what the pros say is possible and I'm thinking that for these two door issues.

I mentioned this was a local bus, and this bumper decal is proof. Volkswagen of Rapid City, S. Dak.! I would say the decal, now missing, protected the original paint just enough to make out the message. I'll try to preserve this the best I can. One of my neighbors is a former mechanic of the place and has been by a few times. He just kept saying rust, rusty, rust, and me going yeah, yeah. He seems happy to be retired and working on thumpers and cafe racers now. I can make out a little satisfaction under his burly mustache when I catch him outside in a bus. If anyone could scare up a local plate frame or a lead it would be him.

WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Killer bus. Doesn't look to have ever been hit. That right side blue patch has certain outlines.

Thanks! Here is a better picture of the area on my bus.

I've seen this before on another bus on the Patina thread.

I have no idea why something would weather this way but I will guess at a theory I've been mulling over. On my bus, I feel like it has something to do with the camping wardrobe cabinet behind that area. That the cabinet effected and influenced the temperature of the panel differently than the rest of the bus. The upper rear cargo vents would let a lot of air and moisture come and go from the bus, but the cabinet would keep that particular panel area stable. Coupled with its particular orientation to the sun over time and influenced more or less by the winter or summer to location, etc. In this case, possibly helping preserve the wear of the paint? Does this sound crazy? I'll never know, I like it as another unique feature of the bus.

I first started thinking about it while looking at this area on my Bay and noticing it as a common occurrence on others. It's the only area on my Westy doing this and feel that the open area and temperature behind the metal is affecting adhesion. Like I said, just a random thought and not pushing the idea.

Last edited by WildIdea on Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
Great find of a local vehicle. Congrats.

I also liked the backstory.

Thanks for checking in!
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Even that rear curtain is righteous. I looks like the body wagon Clint Eastwood hid on in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing the camper interior when you have it cleaned out.

Personally would repaint it, not enough OG paint left.

Look for newspapers in the doors or walls. Found 1974 pieces from SF area in our walk thru panel camper conversion.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Looking forward to seeing the camper interior when you have it cleaned out.

Personally would repaint it, not enough OG paint left.

Look for newspapers in the doors or walls. Found 1974 pieces from SF area in our walk thru panel camper conversion.

Thanks for the input Eric&Barb!

I've found some pretty neat items in buses. So far this one has caught up some pretty neat items. It had several fruit boxes with various automotive liquids and a few cases of old aircraft oil, like 50 quarts I have now Shocked and a few older paper and metal oil cans that were full for garage decoration. A few old battery chargers that have metal housings and neat paint. I have my fingers crossed for a pre '64 silver coin!

Last edited by WildIdea on Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Thanks for checking in folks, I'll keep the tour going with some front cab shots.

I pulled the front mat and it looks like it's in pretty decent shape and will likely come back to life with a good cleaning and hydration. The floor beneath is pretty solid. The underside appears to all be intact and dry.

I'm always amazed and interested in the different ways and places that each bus seems to take wear and they all tell a different story. I'm really attracted to and digging the overall look of the weathering on this bus. It's pretty straight and would be easier than some to get prepped and painted but I won't be the person doing that. It's going to be my stock ratty bus with a light touch preservation so it will function as a driver but with all its age, wrinkles and grey hair running proud.

Somehow the front glass seals kept out water enough from eating or staining the dash. The church key was in the front door pocket. The door cards are rough but I will attempt to bring them back. Same as the headliner pieces. Pretty saggy but hoping I can unwrap them somehow. The rear view mirror has some rubber mounted base. I've read here on a mirror thread that some panels didn't come with rear views mirrors? This one looks like it's from some other brand or make. Maybe added during the conversion?

The front kicks are pretty decent but I noticed the fuse box base has a crack in the corner. I found this wire in the shape of a female symbol with a sliding bead on the parcel tray. I tossed a piece of jute twine through it and hung on the rear view mirror. That talisman is definitely staying in the bus.

The front bench material is really roached but the frames are solid. Shouldn't be too bad there. Folding up the bench looks like the spare would still hold air, who knows. Looks original so would like to keep it in the bus. The stow spot on a bus keeps them pretty protected.

These truck mirrors are pretty amazing. I know some folks don't like them but these things just work with the overall look and rusty finish going on overall. To me they're perfection. Glass is intact and they function really nicely. Pretty much why I don't want to paint the bus, because all these pieces wouldn't match anymore. Same with the wheels and bumpers, etc.

As time permits I'll show the camping interior and the engine. These are all baseline shots to archive before I dig in on anything. Thanks for looking and comments welcome.
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

I’ll try to dig for it but there’s a similar bus that may be in the logo or patina thread. It’s from up in Canada if I recall and the owner did some buffing, CLR, and linseed oil I believe. It doesn’t have a ton of OG paint left either, but looks amazing. It’s dove blue as well. I’ll keep digging for a link.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Interior mirror looks to be a Beetle unit.

Our camper conversion came with a definite aftermarket mirror.
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Ok. Here’s a similar bus after the guy bumped out the dents and cleaned/treated the patina. More pics on Page 155 of the signwriting/logo buses thread
This might give you some idea of how well you can make your bus look without painting it.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2017127.jpg

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2017124.jpg
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Quote:

Spare tire is probably original since it's a Continental tire.
If it's a 6.40x15 tire, I'd say definitely.

Nice original paint wheel too
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nineteensixtyfiveVG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

such a nice bus, im jealous
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

WildIdea wrote:

They got dual visors in a panel bus but no rear view
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 32

Jump to: