Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This part sucks but it always the most rewarding when you see that og paint bleeding through. Good Job!

1960 Dove Blue Double Cab Patina Build

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

burwin wrote:
Ha I knew you could’nt go a weekend without an update. That is looking peachy! You’ve got me scratching my head about how well (we’ll how badly) I derailed my engine bay now! Great work!

Thanks burwin, I like to update this thread when I feel I have something noteworthy to share in the interest of being thorough. Sometimes I wonder if I should be putting my time exclusively into my bus, but I know I wouldn't be learning as much about it, so I try to do both. That and I can't work on it all day anyway even if I had the time. I gotta take physical breaks as I go. I try to stay truthfully revealing about what I'm doing and just putting myself out there while I publicly journal my progress. That and hope I can learn about my bus from others here I wouldn't otherwise know.

Sometimes, when I log in and see others have replied, I get a little nervous about the possible feedback before reading it, but I know it is only going to help me get where I want sooner with less pain, so a huge thanks for the feedback.
Thanks for hanging in there with me!
1960 211 Panel American Camper Conversion
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:

I've done this kind of thorough clean-up of decades of grease, dirt, tar, etc on several old Buses. You ought to get your hands on a quart or gallon can of "wax and grease remover" solvent. Used buy body and paint folks to wiper down painted or primered surfaces prior to paint, this stuff is great at softening-up and removing wax and grease. Use those thick blue paper shop towels soaked in this solvent (use gloves) and you'll have a very clean engine under-carriage in no time. Works great, won't harm your paint!

Bill Bowman

Like this gem of a comment. Post of my year! I mean, I don't mind investing my time on this tar removal, but I don't want it to be a retirement project if it doesn't have to be.

The morning of the post I immediately went to my auto body supply to grab a gallon of wax and grease remover. It made perfect sense that it wouldn't hurt paint if it's made to use around paint. I always thought of it for finger prints, not an oil spill. I got the gallon, thinking it will come in handy for the upcoming engine and transaxle projects, maybe need another down the road by the looks of them. Anyway, they recommended the H.E.T. brand for $18 vs the $40 ppg brand for what it was I'm using it for.

This morning I was able to try it on an area before I headed to work. What's left a bit tougher to access now and I have to literally crawl under and get my head inside the wheel well. Easy to strain muscles like this so I'll do 1.5 hour shots max.

The normal satisfying first peal of crud with the plastic chisel and follow up with the pick to evict the smaller chunks.

I poured some solvent in a dish and just brushed it on with an old paint brush and my jaw dropped Shocked The grime literally fell off almost by itself and a little petting with the brush. At times, its good to go back and target a few thicker spots with my pick and repeat the treatment. The tougher areas on the edges seemed to put up a little fight, but nothing the solvent couldn't handle if I picked at it a little to take it down between applications with the brush.

It made a normally horrid job actually a bit fun and I can't wait to get after it again tonight. Now posting, I see some spots I need to work on more. It does leave the paint alone, untouched and unharmed!!! This spot took 40 min from start to cleanup and would have taken me several hours otherwise. Even with some tough areas to go, I feel I'll cruise through this task way sooner that I was anticipating and with better results.

I have a few bits of bumped metal to straighten and I'll still condition the paint and exposed rusted areas as a final step, but until then, I'm a fan of this new process. Thanks for posting the tip Mr. BulliBill.

I hacked off half the handle to the brush, that helped, but otherwise, I'll see ya'll on the other side of this project.

WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

German Krew wrote:

This part sucks but it always the most rewarding when you see that og paint bleeding through. Good Job!

Thanks GK! I'm weirdly addicted to cleaning these parts! Can't stop. Why is chipped up and distressed old VW so visually appealing?
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Im glad someone suggested a solvent more appropriate for what you are doing, the previous stuff you used is definitely too weak...well too weak for my patience anyway Laughing

I use brake-clean on gunk/grime like that and it just melts away. Scrape off the majority of it like you have been doing, but then just soak and spray, very little scrubbing or picking required. Zero damage to original paint/primer/sealer.

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

sled wrote:

finnegan and freiburger got bit by that: non-flammable brake cleaner will not work as starting fluid Smile

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Pretty decent day of Volkscleaning. I started out pretty fresh on the lower transaxle mounts while laying on my back with a paper towel roll under my neck. I hit the worst of it before my arms eventually gave out. Anything overhead is a drag and the wax and grease remover is a huge help in minimizing the suffering. Just chipping away at that and any ground gained here is a positive. I got a little further than the middle line, so hoping that will pay off when I come at it from the other side.

After that effort, I was ready to advance something in a different body position, preferably looking down. I decided to tackle the passenger side wheel well section.

It was pretty dirty a few weeks ago and I've been taking it down in layers and pretty much ready for its final stripping and detail.

I pulled the data plate for some damage control there and worked through the surface rust and stripped it down in the ultrasonic. I used my stereoscopic magnifier hood and a wax carving blade to take down the rust just above the plate surface and used a heated Simple Green solution that brought back a pretty original tin reflective surface without putting hairlines all over it. I applied a thin coat of grease on the back of the plate before mounting it up.

The area overall is pretty solid. I used simple green in a spray bottle, CLR on a sponge and even applied a bit of the wax and grease remover around the gas tank drain hole to remove the remaining seal adhesive.

I have wiring harness body grommets on my order list, but these two are not cracked, so I rubbed a dot of gear oil on them to melt off the dirty scale. Several clean water washes and some compressed air in the seams and a thin spray wax coat and this was the result. Pretty solid day as 4-5 hours straight is hard to come by these days.

Thinking I'll attempt a repeat of this on the other side tomorrow and see how far I get, my day is looking like I'll be able to get out there and keep going.
ddutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

You did a beautiful job on that engine room, it looks very clean and nice now but it's still factory original. That tip on using a degreaser pays off big time.
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Quote:

Damn that looks so good nothing better then OG paint. Great work!.

1960 Dove Blue Double Cab Patina Build

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

When you blink your eyes in the dark what do you see?
Bendango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Wow this is awesome.

WANTED - [WTB] 55-62 Bus Thin Lip Package Tray SWR

Getting Used - SWR 60 westy copy built by vw ( apparently Rolling Eyes )
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=320866

Braukuche wrote:
Where did you find the elephant dick?
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

German Krew wrote:
Quote:

Damn that looks so good nothing better then OG paint. Great work!.

X2!! Killer job you're doing here!
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Nice work! At first I thought this was the same camper that sat on the street near Canyon Lake in Rapid City for years. I had to go back and look at the pictures again. They had an external power connection on that one. Keep up the great work.

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

A group Thanks for checking in ddutch, German Krew, BarryL, burin, oakman, and DubStyle. I appreciate the comments, they are very encouraging!

DubStyle wrote:
Nice work! At first I thought this was the same camper that sat on the street near Canyon Lake in Rapid City for years. I had to go back and look at the pictures again. They had an external power connection on that one. Keep up the great work.

Hopefully the bus your referring to is alive and well!

In my teenage years, my family lived in a house a few blocks from Canyon Lake Park. By the seventh grade I was already a 6 ft tall pimpled up leper walking around all hunched over with long hair and a leather / jean jacket combo, Metallica back patch. I would walk that park smoking Marbs listening to the Doors and Sabbath on a cassette walkman trying to sort out the meaning of my existence. It was mostly an earthen dam and spillway sprinkled with trees and chimneys left over from the '72 flood. In my middle 20's I worked for a company that did its revitalization...We added a bridge to the island, loads of dirt work and brick paved pathways around the perimeter off the lake. I loved working on the job because it was such a meaningful place for me. When I go there now I remember it two ways and now adding a third period with the times I spend with my family there now. I remember there always being buses in this town. Back in the late 80's early 90's a lot of us had one (bays). It's not surprising they're still turning up around here.

Looking back at my life now, I think of all the small episodes that consumed my thoughts and actions. Family drama, school drama, party drama, things I though were so important that ended up just being no big deal or maybe huge consequence. The people, places and things that came and went....all forming me in small ways to be in a position to take this project on. This bus was parked outside baking in the sun and thawing ice for all of it, nearly the entire span of my life. I was 5 when it was last licensed. Now our paths have intersected and we occupy the same space in time. It's weird to think about. I wish I could go back to that former me in the park and tell him he'd make it through and things like this bus were waiting.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

I was able to get after it again the following day and finish up the lower transaxle mount tar removal. I had tackled the passenger side first, not just because the gas had dripped on it, but it also had the most built up crud. It looks to me like the axle on that side leaked a bit more. I'm also right handed so I had better control laying on my back from the passenger side and could reach in there pretty far with my arm. It was a bit more awkward with my left hand from the other side and was grateful the remaining crud was not as bad. Still took a few hours, even with the wax and grease remover.

There is still a spot at the front of the center of the torsion tube that needs attention, but I had to save that for later and get out from under the bus and reset my physical and mental composure. It takes a measure of concentration for me to wiggle under the bus and do the stripping work, and eventually I hit a limit and just call it for the session. I had some other responsibilities to tackle for the mid day and decided to go back out in the evening to tackle the other wheel well area.

It's a pretty light weight sedimentary dust caked on this area. Just takes water to break it up and wipe it off. That reveals a hidden level of rust scale that has poked through and grown over the paint. I have a few small areas that are behind the gas tank where I feel some mice pee ate up some paint. Nothing critical, but I didn't escape that entirely. I'm noticing some decent size paint runs around the well and feel like the rust is showing up in the further reaches because the paint wasn't really spraying in there that boldly. I got after it in earnest, but there just isn't that much paint in the far corner.

I thought I might remove the duct work here but kinda got lazy because the bus is full of parts at the moment and I didn't want to empty that and crawl in there to unhook it. Then I realized there is a nice bead of sealant around the duct and the body so that made the decision for me to leave it, at least for now. I did feel the cleaning around it with water and compressed air was thourough. I can actually stick my whole hand and arm inside the duct to my elbow and it wasn't that dusty inside so I may very well be living that this way. Two days in a row and basically 4 session of cleaning and I can feel it today! Hurts so good!

So I have the lower transaxle mount cleaned and basically detailed. That and the gas tank area and upper wells finished. I still have the compartment ceiling to tackle as well as the rear facing edge of that's pretty bad and the rear corners. Looks good facing forward, but pretty bad when I turn around in there! Not to forget the underside of the wheel wells still to go. It's getting less intense in these areas, so glad I checked off the worst first. I've been exploring the tail lights and wiring and have a box of seals and random bits to install in the compartment to advance that a bit as time permits. I'm feeling like this weekend I could get up front and unhook the shifter and pull the rod to assess and recondition the tube and parts, well see how it shapes up. Thanks for checking it out!

AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

“ The people, places and things that came and went....all forming me in small ways to be in a position to take this project on. This bus was parked outside baking in the sun and thawing ice for all of it, nearly the entire span of my life. I was 5 when it was last licensed. Now our paths have intersected and we occupy the same space in time. It's weird to think about.”

Isn’t it though? To think of where your bus was at key points of your existence? I know the history of my 65 subhatch going back to the late 80’s, told to me by the lady who sold it to me. Before that is foggy.....it was sold new in Germany, took a detour to Westfalia-Werke, ended up with 1965 California plates on it......then turns up in the late 80’s in Silver City, NM. It was somewhere for 20 years, but where?

It sounds like you’ve got the history of yours pinned down going a lot further back.
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

What a pleasant surprise!!

Hey buddy, stumbled across your new splittie last night, been catching up with what your doing.

What a great looking bus, I'm pleased for you and have enjoyed reading the story to date, its looks very good under the grime.

Good luck and I will await further updates..duly subscribed to!
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
Bendango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Wow - double stacking the updates this week! Thanks! We are traveling and it’s been years since I saw my Bus, will be a few more until I see it again. So your thread is good therapy in the mean time. I

Your work got me scratching my head so much I had to scour for a picture to asses my engine bay. I POR’d up to the engine seal. So no frame horn work but I will have to go and repeat what you have done in the engine area when a new engine goes in.

Keep up the good work - this is way better than Netflix!

WANTED - [WTB] 55-62 Bus Thin Lip Package Tray SWR

Getting Used - SWR 60 westy copy built by vw ( apparently Rolling Eyes )
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=320866

Braukuche wrote:
Where did you find the elephant dick?
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

MorkC68 wrote:
What a pleasant surprise!!

Hey buddy, stumbled across your new splittie last night, been catching up with what your doing.

What a great looking bus, I'm pleased for you and have enjoyed reading the story to date, its looks very good under the grime.

Good luck and I will await further updates..duly subscribed to!

HaHa! Thanks MorkC68! Awesome you found me over here hanging on there Split Bus forum. You have been a great friend and supporter from the beginning of my TS participation, the first to comment on my 77 Westy thread even!

The whole time I watched you painstakingly strip and refinish the chassis on your Westy I though to myself "Tough never-ending overhead work, I sure am glad I don't have to do that!" Now here I am doing it! Funny how life and buses have a way of flipping the script!

I'm pleased you're in for this trip.
Wild
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

burwin wrote:
Wow - double stacking the updates this week! Thanks! We are traveling and it’s been years since I saw my Bus, will be a few more until I see it again. So your thread is good therapy in the mean time. I

Your work got me scratching my head so much I had to scour for a picture to asses my engine bay. I POR’d up to the engine seal. So no frame horn work but I will have to go and repeat what you have done in the engine area when a new engine goes in.

Keep up the good work - this is way better than Netflix!

Thanks burwin, I feel the same way about several others threads going on right now. It’s nice when there is progress and updates to follow.

I still consider myself a neophyte, clearly there are folks here with more experience than I have. I suppose I will be until I start seeing parts, conditions, systems and issues for a second time or more. A lot of this stuff is a first time go around for me and having to get up to speed before I make a decision or a dreaded newb mistake. On the other hand, it’s really interesting working through a project for the first time. Even exhilarating because of the age of this bus crossed the anxiety of breaking something or some sort of failure or set back.

It’s funny to me that all I’m doing at this point is cleaning parts or learning the art of it. Cleaning and if necessary, learning how to take something apart to clean it without hurting it or giving it an unnatural finish. I feel like it’s going slow, but I just updated an album in my phone and it actually has been a fair amount of progress for the last few months. I’ve even found a way to bring small bits so the shop to process so that’s helping. I’ll chip away and post as time permits. Thanks for the feedback!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 32

Jump to: