Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

I don't recall ever having bought a bottoming tap. I just ground them down from taps that were broken or worn out. Mostly in the old ski repair/boat shop where I worked in the 90's. We broke taps regularly.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
I don't recall ever having bought a bottoming tap. I just ground them down from taps that were broken or worn out. Mostly in the old ski repair/boat shop where I worked in the 90's. We broke taps regularly.

I was thinking that’s what I’ll resort to. I just checked and I only have one, so I’ll pick up another to grind on. Thanks!
1960 211 Panel American Camper Conversion
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Your unmolested bus is probably alright at the RGB springplate threads. Do you have a little bottle-brush you could chuck into a tool and spin some of your cleaning solvent around the internal threads?
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Your unmolested bus is probably alright at the RGB springplate threads. Do you have a little bottle-brush you could chuck into a tool and spin some of your cleaning solvent around the internal threads?

Yessir, I have that stuff laying around. When you brought up bolt threads on my RGB an exclamation mark went off, because I’ve dinked up one on my torsion bar mounting holes on my ‘65 and Brian happened to come over like an angel and bail me out with one of my taps, so I’ve no appetite to take any chances on this set up. Like always, I appreciate the input, and gobble it up whenever you guys share it.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Although I had a good part of a day to work on the bus, I basically just got some cleaning and prep work done on the other wheel setup.

Started off of the brake cylinder. It was about the same shape as the last one accept this time I knew what to expect. I had let it sit overnight soaking in some oil. I use the parking brake pad spreader bar that was handy to twist the frozen pistons and wiggled them out from there with some nippers.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As bad as this all looked up front, they cleaned up pretty nicely. It’s not that I’m too cheap to buy new brake cylinders, and I will if I fail here, but I wanted to see if I could bring these back. I put the new seals on the pistons with the flair going the same way they were when I took them part. Thinking this is right and hoping my hone job is sufficient for a seal.

The seal cap needed cleaned up and new seal installed. No pics needed for that. The backing plate and RGB got degreased, heavy material removed, scrubbed and oiled down. That ate up some time but who’s counting.

I had hopes of installing it all same day, but just ran out of time. No big deal, I’m not in a hurry. I learned more about the axle seals and cleaning the RGB threads this week anyway so I don’t have both to redo. I’m in great shape to do that fresh then next time I get a few hours. Looking forward to it.

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

WildIdea wrote:

A transmission builder warned me about parts 6 and 10 to use the OG ones if possible as the aftermarket ones are notoriously softer metal.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
WildIdea wrote:

A transmission builder warned me about parts 6 and 10 to use the OG ones if possible as the aftermarket ones are notoriously softer metal.

Good to know! My take off were a little scratched but I can see the replacement metal looks like a bit lower grade metal.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Had a bit to go out and assemble the second rear wheel on the transaxle. I had the parts all clean and ready to bolt up and I wanted to get it back together before something happened to the parts or I forgot how they went together. I have the proper taps and they spin in by hand. They don’t produce much grime, just a trace, but I decided it would be useful to leave it in to help keep the paper backing plate gasket aligned.

I had a min where I was having trouble keeping this pad spreader bar clip vertical while I was tightening the cylinder mounting bolt. It kept spinning to the right when I tightened. I resorted to clamping this bung to the side and that helped a lot.

Everything else went on pretty easy, but I was having trouble sliding the drum over the new pads even though they were turned in all the way. I poked around and realized I didn’t have one of the pads properly seated to the cylinder piston. Once I turned the piston a little and it clicked, it all went together and operates properly.

I spun the jack around and redid the other bearing cap and bolted it all back up. I have a decent command of the set up now but have that nagging feeling I still have more to learn. Still feels awesome to tidy up the shop and get this transaxle spun around and pointed towards the bus again.

Just taking a min to think through my steps. I want to clean up the starter and have it tested. Thinking I can fill the RGBs and see if they hold fluid.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Back in the days of me having to deal with RGBs, I’d use a strap over the top to keep the axles as straight as possible. It helps tremendously on the install, specially if doing the job by yourself! Cool
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
Back in the days of me having to deal with RGBs, I’d use a strap over the top to keep the axles as straight as possible. It helps tremendously on the install, specially if doing the job by yourself! Cool

That’s a good tip pyrOman! I’m debating on putting my axle boots in now or waiting. Last time I installed my ‘65 transaxle I bumped on of the axle boots on the heater cable tube and don’t realize I tore it (1/4inch half moon slice) until I filled the transaxle with fluid. I had to put the replacement on with axle installed anyway....I will have my Dad around to spot me, but I’ll probably implement your idea! Thanks
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

WildIdea wrote:
Everything else went on pretty easy, but I was having trouble sliding the drum over the new pads even though they were turned in all the way. I poked around and realized I didn’t have one of the pads properly seated to the cylinder piston. Once I turned the piston a little and it clicked, it all went together and operates properly.

you do good work and a lot of it, too.

For brake work i always used copper paste, it stays in place well, and it is designed for high temperature applications. Also for all exhaust nuts and bolts.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
WildIdea wrote:

For brake work i always used copper paste, it stays in place well, and it is designed for high temperature applications. Also for all exhaust nuts and bolts.

I was about to write something similar. The grease might be OK, but you should at least remove the excess. A little goes a long way, and you don't want it to warm up and drip onto the braking surface.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
WildIdea wrote:

Thanks mandraks! That’s really cool to hear from you. I’m climbing every day but this is a long class and much ahead of me to learn. That keeps it interesting. I’m having a great time in my garage and hanging out here. Thanks for the pointers and suggestions, I bank them.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
mandraks wrote:
WildIdea wrote:

I was about to write something similar. The grease might be OK, but you should at least remove the excess. A little goes a long way, and you don't want it to warm up and drip onto the braking surface.

Thanks cdennisg, when I pop the drums off to install the brake cables, I’ll wipe it down better. I can see it getting hot in there for sure.
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

WildIdea wrote:
BarryL wrote:
WildIdea wrote:

Good to know! My take off were a little scratched but I can see the replacement metal looks like a bit lower grade metal.
I would take a bit of time to spray that clean metal "axle tubes r.g.b.'s and drums" with some black paint to protect it from rusting.That is if you haven't already clear coated it Smile Hey some people just like that kind of look.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Busted-bolt wrote:
I would take a bit of time to spray that clean metal "axle tubes r.g.b.'s and drums" with some black paint to protect it from rusting.That is if you haven't already clear coated it Smile Hey some people just like that kind of look.

Thanks Busted-bolt
The axle tubes, RGBs, backing plate and drums are already protected by rust. The thin layer or tooth of 60 year old rust and patination. Some gear oil rubbed in will hold nicely. This is what I’ve done. I don’t get too worried about rust never sleeps. Ever since I learned that powdered rust is a old time rifle bore protectant, I stopped seeing rust as a 100% liability. This whole bus is full of cavities with rust scale and it’s ok. I do think this look is appropriate for this bus. Reminds me of parkerised military surplus. A freshly painted black transaxle is pretty to behold, but not my choice here. What you see is what you get.

This is me saying this as an experienced automotive painter! It’s one of the topics I actually have decent experience in. It gets hard, cracks and flakes off accept when you want to strip it, then it holds! Anyway, is not a choice I made out of laziness.
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

I see Your'e point , if you seal up rust with paint it will just come back stronger. Yes a bit of well placed oil would be supiror to paint in Your'e application. Nice bus by the way Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

WildIdea wrote:
Busted-bolt wrote:

Thanks Busted-bolt
The axle tubes, RGBs, backing plate and drums are already protected by rust. The thin layer or tooth of 60 year old rust and patination. Some gear oil rubbed in will hold nicely. This is what I’ve done. I don’t get too worried about rust never sleeps. Ever since I learned that powdered rust is a old time rifle bore protectant, I stopped seeing rust as a 100% liability. This whole bus is full of cavities with rust scale and it’s ok. I do think this look is appropriate for this bus. Reminds me of parkerised military surplus. A freshly painted black transaxle is pretty to behold, but not my choice here. What you see is what you get.

This is me saying this as an experienced automotive painter! It’s one of the topics I actually have decent experience in. It gets hard, cracks and flakes off accept when you want to strip it, then it holds! Anyway, is not a choice I made out of laziness.

I like this theory and practice.
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

WildIdea wrote:
Thanks Busted-bolt

Another option you might consider for rusty metal under your bus, it's what I did on my '59 bus, is to treat the clean rusty metal with Ospho (Krud krutter) then paint with clear POR 15 to seal it. I'm ok with the rusty look, but didn't want it to get worse. The clear POR 15 will yellow if exposed to sun light.

I have enjoyed reading your thread since day one. You have a refreshing attitude for the "dirty" work that's needed to be done.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641871&highlight=
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

silkvw wrote:
treat the clean rusty metal with Ospho (Krud krutter) then paint with clear POR 15 to seal it.

I have to admit, I have always wondered why anyone would pre-treat rust, then use POR. POR is intended to put right on the rust, as in, Paint Over Rust.

Ospho is good stuff, but you can paint over it with Rustoleum or TremClad or spray paint if you like, as the rust has already been treated.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Page 20 of 32

Jump to: