Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

WildIdea wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
mandraks wrote:
WildIdea wrote:
Everything else went on pretty easy, but I was having trouble sliding the drum over the new pads even though they were turned in all the way. I poked around and realized I didn’t have one of the pads properly seated to the cylinder piston. Once I turned the piston a little and it clicked, it all went together and operates properly.

you do good work and a lot of it, too.

For brake work i always used copper paste, it stays in place well, and it is designed for high temperature applications. Also for all exhaust nuts and bolts.

I was about to write something similar. The grease might be OK, but you should at least remove the excess. A little goes a long way, and you don't want it to warm up and drip onto the braking surface.

Thanks cdennisg, when I pop the drums off to install the brake cables, I’ll wipe it down better. I can see it getting hot in there for sure.

Definitely clean that grease off. Grease does not belong inside the drum anywhere. All of those locations should receive a copper anti-seize paste. If it was me I would tear it down, remove, clean and replace. You are doing a great job on this bus!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

buseric wrote:
WildIdea wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
mandraks wrote:
WildIdea wrote:
Everything else went on pretty easy, but I was having trouble sliding the drum over the new pads even though they were turned in all the way. I poked around and realized I didn’t have one of the pads properly seated to the cylinder piston. Once I turned the piston a little and it clicked, it all went together and operates properly.

you do good work and a lot of it, too.

For brake work i always used copper paste, it stays in place well, and it is designed for high temperature applications. Also for all exhaust nuts and bolts.

I was about to write something similar. The grease might be OK, but you should at least remove the excess. A little goes a long way, and you don't want it to warm up and drip onto the braking surface.

Thanks cdennisg, when I pop the drums off to install the brake cables, I’ll wipe it down better. I can see it getting hot in there for sure.

Definitely clean that grease off. Grease does not belong inside the drum anywhere. All of those locations should receive a copper anti-seize paste. If it was me I would tear it down, remove, clean and replace. You are doing a great job on this bus!

Thanks buseric, I see my error and will correct it. I used the orange anti seize on the brass stars and their mounts. I don’t know what I was thinking other than I wasn’t sure I should use it all over, but now the grease seems like a terrible choice for those friction points.

In general, every time I post I’m a bit in fear of being/getting flamed, I don’t know why, so far all I’ve been met with is positive criticism and support. I can’t thank ya’ll enough for taking the time to point me in the right direction from time to time. I will stay open minded. I don’t want to be right, I want to get it right. I have every reason to believe I will drive this bus someday and that reward is a big motivation. Until that day, learning the ins and outs of these systems is really interesting. Again, thank you for the input.
1960 211 Panel American Camper Conversion
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
silkvw wrote:
treat the clean rusty metal with Ospho (Krud krutter) then paint with clear POR 15 to seal it.

I have to admit, I have always wondered why anyone would pre-treat rust, then use POR. POR is intended to put right on the rust, as in, Paint Over Rust.

Ospho is good stuff, but you can paint over it with Rustoleum or TremClad or spray paint if you like, as the rust has already been treated.

When I tried POR 15, I bought the "3-step stop rust system". It came with POR 15 metal prep. This is "Step 2: Prep it! Neutralize rust and etch with Metal Prep.". So, I think it's needed.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641871&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

silkvw wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
silkvw wrote:
treat the clean rusty metal with Ospho (Krud krutter) then paint with clear POR 15 to seal it.

I have to admit, I have always wondered why anyone would pre-treat rust, then use POR. POR is intended to put right on the rust, as in, Paint Over Rust.

Ospho is good stuff, but you can paint over it with Rustoleum or TremClad or spray paint if you like, as the rust has already been treated.

When I tried POR 15, I bought the "3-step stop rust system". It came with POR 15 metal prep. This is "Step 2: Prep it! Neutralize rust and etch with Metal Prep.". So, I think it's needed.

Is their metal prep the same as Ospho, or a version of it? Not sure as I have not used it. I have painted POR directly over rusted surfaces, and it held up solid. The only prep I did was to clean off loose dirt and rust, and wipe it down with some thinner to remove any grease.
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

POR 15 website says: • Special note: POR-15® Metal Prep is designed to leave behind a zinc phosphate coating which creates the best surface to coat with POR-15® Rust Preventive Coating.

OSPHO MSDS says it is Phosphoric Acid.

So, there may be some difference. Perhaps there is a chemist reading this?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641871&highlight=
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Can we not get into the whole Por-15 topic here, please. I won’t be using it anywhere in this bus, thanks!
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

WildIdea wrote:
Can we not get into the whole Por-15 topic here, please. I won’t be using it anywhere in this bus, thanks!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Don't worry I started a new thread so it doesn't get hijacked by the POR-15 brothers its called "When buttering a rusty biscuit".

1960 Dove Blue Double Cab Patina Build

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Been tackling some other projects last week, so not a whole bunch to report. I was still able to advance a few things and that pleases me, even if it’s just a little movement forward.

I’ve been going through a checklist of things I can address to the undercarriage while the transaxle is out and what I need to do to the transaxle itself before it goes back in the bus.

I was looking inside the wheel wells assessing. I don’t feel they need a whole lot of detailing but will likely take a sitting or two each to clean up. Some small things, like I noticed the brake cable tubes have a glob of hardened grease....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I took a few hours and degreased the brake cables themselves. They look operable and in good shape, so I plan on using them. Still cleaning grease. Will it ever end? Insert Serenity Prayer here......

I filled the RGBs and happy to report they haven’t leaked after siting overnight. I realize that putting weight on them could change that but hopeful they’re good to go. I spun the axles a few times as I though that would help expose a leak but that didn’t change anything. They feel clean and smooth....

I had some time to run the starter to Dakota Battery so I cleaned it up a bit first. They said the starter shaft wasn’t turning properly, but wouldn’t be a problem to rebuild, so I left it with them. They were stoked to be involved with this project!

I imagine they’ll call in a few days...inching forward with the critical help of others. Thanks for checking in!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

That starter needs the main shaft supported by the bushing in the trans in order to spin properly. If they just spin it as is, by hand, it will feel like it has a bad bearing. If they spin it as is with full battery power, they could damage it internally.

On the RGB's, did you torque the axle nuts? If not, they might leak oil. That whole seal/bearing/gasket/o-ring/spacer system needs the torque from the big axle nut to make things seal up tightly. Most folks don't usually add any oil to the boxes or the trans until it is in the bus and bolted up tight, since it can be tough to torque those nuts to 250-ish pounds with the trans on a stand or on the floor.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
That starter needs the main shaft supported by the bushing in the trans in order to spin properly. If they just spin it as is, by hand, it will feel like it has a bad bearing. If they spin it as is with full battery power, they could damage it internally.

On the RGB's, did you torque the axle nuts? If not, they might leak oil. That whole seal/bearing/gasket/o-ring/spacer system needs the torque from the big axle nut to make things seal up tightly. Most folks don't usually add any oil to the boxes or the trans until it is in the bus and bolted up tight, since it can be tough to torque those nuts to 250-ish pounds with the trans on a stand or on the floor.

Very good! Thanks cdennisg. I don’t have a picture handy that shows well, but there is a strap that goes for the solenoid the starter housing that has an insulation that was flaking off. Their plan was to get the piece pulled apart and get that covered up with new insulation and address anything else that needed it. I believe they have a full command of the internal mechanisms.

It’s all coming that much clearer the more I mess with the RGBs. Your input and descriptions help a lot. Makes me wish we lived in the same area. How awesome is this site?!
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

WildIdea wrote:
Por-15, I won’t be using it anywhere in this bus, thanks!

Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause

What’s That Noise?!?
Bendango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

We must have not had a weekend last week cos’ if there had been Wildidea would have posted an update! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

WANTED - [WTB] 55-62 Bus Thin Lip Package Tray SWR

Getting Used - SWR 60 westy copy built by vw ( apparently Rolling Eyes )
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=320866

Braukuche wrote:
Where did you find the elephant dick?
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
WildIdea wrote:
Por-15, I won’t be using it anywhere in this bus, thanks!

Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause

Thanks Clatter. Whenever I post, I imagine your gonna read it 😂 . I’ve learned a ton from you and have benefited from your somewhat tough love. It pleases me to see you still have an all seeing eye on my projects and welcome your feedback. Best,,,
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Bendango wrote:
We must have not had a weekend last week cos’ if there had been Wildidea would have posted an update! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Ha! Thanks Bendango!

This is what’s up, it’s legit cold here. When it’s 20-30 and warms up to 40 for a few hours, I can fire up the propane and get a few hours in. It’s been -0 the last week and no break for another 10 days or so. I’m just not gonna fight it. It gives me incentive to give attention to other neglected areas in my life. I won’t list them here cause we all have them.

I haven’t wanted to post up a bunch of volume posts as this thread is getting long and looking to get crazy long by the driving phases, so just wanting to post as relevant as possible content.

If I were to get my starter back would be tempted to get going again despite the cold. We talked about painting the body of the starter, and then I decided why start painting stuff now and called them back. I didn’t talk to my contact directly and now with the time they’ve had it I’m starting to wonder if the message got passed along. Anyway, I won’t be calling them back to bug them. They’ll call me when it’s done and if it got painted I can always distress the paint if it looks too new.

I was able to get a bunch of parts organized this weekend. Was all in a room getting heaped up with other stuff. Felt good to get a refresher on what bits I have and what I will be needing.

I’m still cramped up in this 3rd stall. It was an addition to the house by the previous owner and probably made for a golf cart. I have all my tools and a bus shoe horned in here. As much as I envy spacious garages, I’m dedicated to making this space be enough to resurrect this camper. It’s actually become a really cool place to hang out. My problems or stresses can’t find me here, so it’s perfect!

Thanks for checking in! I appreciate the feedback and ya’ll pulling for me!
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Excellent eye for detail. As the owner of a cramped garage yours looks almost spacious and operating room calibre clean!

not to be a nag but sure hope you have some venting for that propane heater and a CO detector etc
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
Excellent eye for detail. As the owner of a cramped garage yours looks almost spacious and operating room calibre clean!

not to be a nag but sure hope you have some venting for that propane heater and a CO detector etc

Thanks velvet! Yeah, it’s called, crack the doors. I start it about 30-40 min before I go out and shut it off when I get in there. Seems to help enough to make touching items bearable. Still have to put on layers and a hat. I’m not tough enough to huff poison.
Bendango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Thanks for the update. I’ll sleep better now. Laughing Laughing Laughing

WANTED - [WTB] 55-62 Bus Thin Lip Package Tray SWR

Getting Used - SWR 60 westy copy built by vw ( apparently Rolling Eyes )
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=320866

Braukuche wrote:
Where did you find the elephant dick?
willieb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

WOW! 21 pages and counting I'll be reading for a while. It's amazing our buses are very similar in condition and circumstance! I googled the PO's address and found what I believe is my bus on the edge of a corn field in Nebraska. From the condition and findings in the bus I believe it's been siting since 1979. I'm very exited about this bus! like you said WOOHOO
willieb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

WildIdea wrote:
EverettB wrote:
Quote:

Spare tire is probably original since it's a Continental tire.
If it's a 6.40x15 tire, I'd say definitely.

Nice original paint wheel too

I'll have a closer look. Thanks for the data point, EverettB!

sweet go paint, I don't have a spare but I love the paint.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Hello again friends, the weather finally started warming up and I have been itching to get back after this camper bus. At -10 lows and highs in the teens, it just isn’t worth it to go out and mess around. I took the time to give other, mostly neglected things some sorely needed attention. Nothing much more than monitoring my battery tenders and a parental check in on my starters sleep over at the battery shop. They said the cold buries them with battery work and they did actually have to order something for it and we all know how that goes these days. I’ll leave them alone and press on.

After a month of no action in the garage, it tends to get stuff stacked in there. It took me at least an hour just to organize the space! This is what I mean about keeping a momentum!

I was hoping to get the gas tank installed and off the floor and thought I would slosh some diesel fuel around in it and see how clean it really was. I have had it setting with a cup or two in it and rotating it at intervals. I wasn’t happy to see more fine particles coming out. I sloshed it around 5-6 times and it did start to reduce, but I can’t do that all day and I got kinda tired doing that. I gave up and will hit it more later before I decide what it’s ultimate fate is.

I have been looking to do the final details for my transaxle install and realized I had these stale air duct work tubes to clean up still. Would be nice to get them in place before the transaxle goes back in. I moved onto that.

I had first thought I would be doing a complete tear down and build back up but on closer inspection, I felt they might just need a cursory scrub and blow out. I dry brushed the outside and swatted the fabric and that came pretty clean. A little soapy water in places to loosen some caked dust and they looked pretty good. I bore brushed the heck out of the internals and was basically satisfied they looked clean to run.

I hit the painted parts with some TR-3 and had me wondering what a gallon of this OG paint would be worth today. The two mounting bolts were welded so tight my impact rounded the corners loosening them just enough to remove them. Now that they were off I was able to add heat and oil on the nuts and going back and forth for small gains until they released. Once wire wheeled and ultrasonic they spin back together nicely. I referenced some old pics to check orientation and just stuck them on for now without tightening them up. I want to see about blowing out the entire length of tubing if that is possible.

In the meantime, of note, I targeted the last spot of paint on the transaxle around the starter mounting area.

I was enjoying working in the garage in just jeans and a T-shirt stoked at just how freeing it felt after months of needing layers of clothes on. I put the engine seals in and threw the apron up just to see how it looked fitted. Feels good to have a few more parts off the shelf and on the bus where they belong. Safer there.

While looking up the pictures for the duct work, I saw some early pictures that shows how dirty this areas was. It’s good to remember, because it is easy for me to feel like I’m not making noteworthy progress.....

I will be slowly migrating the transaxle back into the bus in the coming sessions. I’m grateful to have had some hours in the garage again. Thanks for checking in!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Page 21 of 32

Jump to: