Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

this is going to be a killer bus.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

I’ve pretty much been on two topics the camper bus as of late. The fuel tank and the starter.

Last weekend I was thinking I would install the fuel tank but felt it needed one more look to assess the level of debris coming out before I placed it. Over the last few months since it came back from the welding shop, I would pour a quart of solvent and slosh it around and dump it. I would still get a pretty good amount of fine chunks. I tried some wire probes but that was futile.

I have rehabbed two tanks to date but feel the level of junk coming out of this one is just too much. I can’t see pimping $50 bills into it and trying to flow the contaminated fuel though a new power plant. I feel that it may have had a chance if the local radiator shop with the hot tank would have stayed open. Anyway....I’ve giving up on this tank. I can’t keep wasting time and resources on a lost cause. I will keep it for a bit. I’ve never had anything on a workout that targeted my biceps like covering the filler neck with one hand and the other end of this tank and winging it back and fourth. Muscles scorched for days, haha. Looking to try a new direction here. Open for suggestions on replacement options.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I hadn’t heard from the battery shop in a while so just swung in there and asked if they called and missed it cause I get a lot of spam calls. They said yeah. The problem they said was that I noted I needed it checked out and it is a 6v starter in a 6v system but that the starter appears to be 12 v starter. Huh? From the numbers on the housing it says it’s a 12v Mercedes in their system.

So I’ve been doing some research. On the bus end I’m trying to add up the facts of what I have going on with it. There was no battery present when I got it. The starter is 12v the bell housing is unclearanced. The flywheel is chewed up some. Might possibly be what parked the rig in the day...

So as it stands right now. I asked about going 12v but I’ve garnered some advice of a few members here that said no permanent mods and there are other ways to go about it. Thanks. Brian handed me two 6v reman starters that I walked over to the battery shop for a look over for possible use and at least known 6v parts and measurements on hand to compare what’s going on with my original starter. I’m going for one 6v starter. A stock ish 40 horse engine will be built up using a 6v flywheel. Im hearing a 12v battery could be used and lamps changed, voltage reg etc and if I choose that route the battery shop recommends put 12v solenoid on the 6v starter.

So it’s been a little mystery that has taught me a lot of things and lining up a clearer direction for the bus going forward. This is where I’ve been folks. Again, forgive my ignorance as I get up to speed here. I’m having fun learning. Thanks!
1960 211 Panel American Camper Conversion
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

The number at the tail of the arrow = 3N = March 1957
See if there is an "L" number... over to the right of 0.5/6... if you're curious.

Similar:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Since you are going to give up on the tank anyway you might try some Tide and let it dry out. Plug the outlet. Pour in 1/2 Quart of phosphoric acid and let it sit and slosh it every couple hours but just by rocking the tank so it moves on the bottom. Dump that after a day then add another 1/2 quart with filled tank of water and let that sit for a couple days. Rinse, dry, look inside.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
The number at the tail of the arrow = 3N = March 1957
See if there is an "L" number... over to the right of 0.5/6... if you're curious.

Similar:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search

Thanks easy e! I appreciate your input and leads!
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Since you are going to give up on the tank anyway you might try some Tide and let it dry out. Plug the outlet. Pour in 1/2 Quart of phosphoric acid and let it sit and slosh it every couple hours but just by rocking the tank so it moves on the bottom. Dump that after a day then add another 1/2 quart with filled tank of water and let that sit for a couple days. Rinse, dry, look inside.

Barry L, I really think I’m done working with this tank. I’m disgusted I put this much time, money and fluids into it already so cutting my losses, but I can accept that because I’m learning so much on the topic. I feel I’m way past where I should be for giving up. I will put your recipe in my notes for a later date. As always, thanks for checking in!!!
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

I keep thinking I’m ready to place the transaxle back in the bus whenever I get the notion, but I keep finding things to check off first.

I was hoping to have my fuel tank in first and place the pet cock in with a ton of space, but while I wait for a few new tank options to materialize, I have resolved to advance the transaxle install and place a tank at some point in the future. I don’t feel it will be that tight with the transaxle in there to spin the fuel valve on.

I wanted to bolt up the stale air ducts and thought I would blow out the main duct run while I had them off. I put my compressed air in the vent at the front of the bus and blew out quite a bit of debris. It was pretty satisfying seeing the bug carcasses and mouse droppings get evicted. I kept at it with a good length of oil line that I could push the whole way through from both directions. I’m pretty satisfied that is is clear, but will try to get some suction up in there for a final clearing.

The two stale air cable levers are in disrepair. One is broken at the hinge pin and the other broken at the cable. I have the one side that is broken removed and set aside to repair. The other is still on the duct at the engine. Looks like I can repair or at least use as a model for something to be fabricated from.

I pulled the second torsion tube cover and was happy with the condition. I’ve been trying my hand at rebushing these on my ‘65 that were hogged out and don’t have a complete command of the indexing situation yet, so I’m not looking to meddle with these here. It doesn’t look like they need it, so I cleaned up what I could on the outside and replaced the cover.

These two short hard brake lines held a drop or two of clear fluid when I pulled them off earlier. I ran zylene in them a blew them out. The long run will get the same treatment from up front when I get the master off. If it is clean and clear I hope to run it if not I will replace it. Bolted up my duct work and some new soft lines.

Inching forward. Happy to have had a few hours to tinker. Thanks
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Applause Applause

1960 Dove Blue Double Cab Patina Build

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

German Krew wrote:
Applause Applause
Thanks for the encouragement! I appreciate it!
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

I had a open couple of days and decided it was prime for stabbing the transaxle back in the bus......finally. I've been tinkering a lot just trying to game plan an order and frankly, it's been out a whole year since this transaxle slithered out all oily and have gotten kinda used to walking around it in the shop. Will be real nice to have it out of the way!

I started out the session with breaking down the brake pads again and stripping off the axle grease I had put on the friction points like @buseric had recommended. I used copper paste in the stars and tiny bits here and there. It went back together in a jiffy and it never hurts for me to get reps at this.

I added the now cleaned parking brake cables to the backing plates and once the transaxle was lined up to the undercarriage, I clipped the zip ties holding the wound cables and started them back in their carrier tubes.

Everything was going pretty nicely and I was having a good time messing with this hardware now that it is all clean. I know this might all have to come out again for whatever reason and I accept that and press on. At least it will be clean to handle if that need arrises. My goal is to get it bolted up, dropped on the ground level and add fluid and see how my seal job holds up. A good bit ahead of me at this point still.

There is a bit of pushing and lifting and I get some boards to prop up the axles to clear the mounting horns. She gets over the cradle enough for me to pull the jack out and get by body centered underneath for some leverage. I use my lower leg and knee to jack the case up and over and she's in! slides right up into the forward mounts at the torsion tube and slides right into my shift rod coupler. Oops, forgot my clutch cable and had to pull the bowden table, slide it over the cable and pull the trans back out enough to clear its rear mount (bout an inch) and slide it all back forward again.

Up to this point my rear rubber mounts and cradle have been mocked up loose. I read a thread here once where a guy used a level on his transaxle case. Said that if that isn't level your engine will sit crooked. The virtues of reading here often, pick up stuff like that. I riffled around the shop looking for that little level cause my 4 footer won't fit and remembered my phone has that tool. I used a piece of metal strap on the top two bolts to set it on. I had to remove my phone to take the pic, wasn't gonna run in the house for another device. Anyway, once satisfied, I cycled around the front and rear mounts about 3 times tightening it up a little each time before the final torques.

I was looking to turn my attention to the RGBs and started on the drivers side, mostly because I'm right handed and it presents well for that. I'll refresh the sequence and transfer that to the awkward side. I know I still needed to chase the threads and have a new 12mm 1.5 tap on hand. I get a little bit of crud out, not much, but the bolts turn in by hand with a little resistance and they wouldn't before.

At this point I'm looking my old spring plate bolts over and a few are torched. I reject two right away and eventually pass on a third. It was earlier in the day still so I suited up for a mid session parts store run. I loath doing this and I can never find what I need on the fly, especially on Sunday, but once in a while I can use a break. I come up with something close. They're a little long, missing the short collar and have a 19mm head instead of 17mm d'oh!, but they will work for now and I can swap them out when I get the real deal in hand. A few buddies are seeing to that, thanks guys! I will update here when I have that in hand.

Clean bolts, chased threads, a clamp and loads of patience and the first spring plate is mounted. Hard brake line gets treated with a repeated long xylene soak and compressed air and eventually mounted up. I gleefully grab the shock absorber from the shelf where its been waiting a year and she's looking pretty good to me! A couple before and afters from last year to remind me I'm getting somewhere.

That was that for the first day. Other things were calling, so I stopped with the other side staged and called it a day. Thanks for looking!!

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Take some old grease and fill that cupped openings that goes up against the spring plates. That will keep mud and water from filling up those areas and causing more rust.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Those blue shocks could use a little distress treatment, hahaha. They stick out pretty bad! I was chomping to get back after it once I rested overnight and the path before me clear. Kids in school and no one home, it's crank up the tunes time in the garage.

The second spring plate mounted right up and I was through that in no time.

Next up was the axle boots. I opted to install these on here as I've cut a hole in one hitting the heater cable tube mounting them outside the bus first. As much as it would have been easier to mount outside the bus, I wasn't in the mood to take chances and do it twice if I slipped up installing the gearbox alone. With xylene close, I used that for a final clean on the boot to metal surfaces.

I found that propping the axle up again gave me a little more room to get the small nuts on the seam bolts. I'll admit I use a little black RTV on the stitched seam and around the smaller bottom mount at the axle. I feel that if a gap appears it will show up here. I don't put any at the larger mounting plate side as that connection seal seams bomb proof once tightened up.

I had three old clamps that show a VW logo that I reused and one oddball looked strong so I reused it too.

At this point, I check off the brake lines cause I have the tools close and decide to go for the tires. These are way fun to see go on and my shop is getting more empty as we go!

With a few pumps on my jack out comes the jack stands (a ridiculous amount of crud under those) and down goes the bus to be a roller again. I haul out my hog of an impact and zip up my axle nuts and drop the pins in.

I clean up and basically just sit and gaze at the rear of this thing. I just can't stop taking it in, happy to just be near it. I spent the rest of my time just organizing tools and general shop condition. I will monitor the RGBs for leaks tonight, now that they have the wheels torqued. So far so good. Coming up I will get some gear oil pumped into the chambers and see what that brings.

This clear shop sqft is gonna get filled up again as I have my sights set on the front beam next and the front controls. The plan is to refresh those and then address the engine so that when it is complete it won't be sitting around waiting for me to get the bus ready and go right to mounting it up and motivating. Thanks for checking it all out with me.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Take some old grease and fill that cupped openings that goes up against the spring plates. That will keep mud and water from filling up those areas and causing more rust.

Good idea! I picked a lot of dirt out of that spot on cleanup. I'm bolted up at the moment, but when I get my new spring plate bolts I think I can loosen them all up enough to get something in there. Thanks!!
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Great work. Bus looks amazing. You are taking the right approach.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

buseric wrote:
Great work. Bus looks amazing. You are taking the right approach.

Thank you! I try to use my head, but honestly, I’m not getting through this on my own. I have an awesome support group and will take direction from as many places as possible. I try to apply what is taught and not see it as criticism. Has worked well for me in life and especially as I learn about AC VW.
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Looking killer! Applause Applause

1960 Dove Blue Double Cab Patina Build

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Looks great. You have the right attitude.

1500 single port | 1963 small nut/big brake transaxle | CSP Disc Brakes | dual circuit m/c | Deutsch Polster seats
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bendango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time to update in such detail. Really nice to read through and day dream of wrenching.

WANTED - [WTB] 55-62 Bus Thin Lip Package Tray SWR

Getting Used - SWR 60 westy copy built by vw ( apparently Rolling Eyes )
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=320866

Braukuche wrote:
Where did you find the elephant dick?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

WildIdea wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

Good idea! I picked a lot of dirt out of that spot on cleanup. I'm bolted up at the moment, but when I get my new spring plate bolts I think I can loosen them all up enough to get something in there. Thanks!!

Lot easier to just remove the bolts and slide the RGB to the rear. Then fill that inner pocket up with old grease. Flex the swing plate slightly inward and slide the RGB back in place and bolt it back down.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
WildIdea wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

Lot easier to just remove the bolts and slide the RGB to the rear. Then fill that inner pocket up with old grease. Flex the swing plate slightly inward and slide the RGB back in place and bolt it back down.

Yes, I can do just that. I just received a group of three new Rasche head stamp swing plate bolts tonight from @sled, beyond grateful, so now have a matched set of 8 that are all in great shape. I’ll be all over this again this weekend and report back. As always, Thanks for your knowledge here.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Page 22 of 32

Jump to: