Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Thanks for checking in German Krew, bobrk and Bendango! I feel I have a full momentum going now that the weather is improving and my progress is reigniting my interest to continue. Although I have a lot of the rear end under control, today it has occurred to me that I'm far from done cleaning this bus as I eyeball the front beam.

First off, I wanted to jump on the trans first for a few final things to check off before I moved along up front. I started with the rework that Eric&Barb suggested and loosened the lug nuts and jacked the bus back up in the air. I removed the tires and the lower shock mounts and started in on the drivers side, clamping the swing plate and removing the mounting bolts. The RGBs pulled back enough to expose the casting cavity and I filled that up with some axle grease. It went back together pretty quick and I do feel better having that filled with grease as there is a gap in the top of the casting that would let water and grim enter and build up. Thanks for the advice!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Another really cool aspect to this job was connecting with The Samba member sled on some matching hardware replacements. He was gracious enough to part with what I needed and I had them in hand last Friday, waiting for me here on this project today. Thanks sled, for helping me and showing an interest in my project. You’re a part of it now and not in a trivial way. Mismatched hardware is the worst!!!

Once the tires went back on and the bus off jack stands, I went ahead and started filling the gearbox with fluid. Putting a few pumps in at a time and letting it sit and repeating throughout the morning and afternoon. Since I torqued the wheels, I'm totally dry on the drivers side and I did see what I would call a "mist" of gear oil behind the backing plate at the wicked in the seams. No hanging drip though, so I'm not going to worry about it for now. I feel I can redo the seal if I need to, but thinking it is some assembly oil squeezed out from torquing.

Moving to the front, I was hoping to get the front drums off and prep them for a drop off soon to get turned. This section is a new situation here to get familiar with and assess. I feel going for getting the wheels off and processing is a good start. I was thinking on getting the bus turned around in the stall, but felt that too big a hassle and with the weather looking good, I can open the stall door and let some natural light in there to work with would be welcome.

I started with the passenger side because I have the most room there. The stars where frozen but I was able to pull the drum off with a little tapping with a rubber mallet and a piece of soft wood.

The driver side was about the same, accept the inner axle spacer was gripping tight. I upleveled the removal of the pistons, springs and pads so I could get behind the spacer to drive it off. I cut the soft brake line and slide the backing plate to the side enough to get a thin punch to tap the spacer free. I left the brake assembly in a bucket for later and spent the last of my time cleaning and organizing the bearing parts.

Drums are clean and set to drop off, but guess what?! Its snowing hard here again all the sudden, so may have to wait an extra day.....It's all good, none of this is done in emergency. Thanks for looking and comments welcome.

1960 211 Panel American Camper Conversion

Last edited by WildIdea on Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:39 am; edited 1 time in total
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

really enjoy your attention to detail and documenting all the steps

any idea what the significance is of that "J" that appears to be welded on to the pass side inner front wheel well?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
really enjoy your attention to detail and documenting all the steps

any idea what the significance is of that "J" that appears to be welded on to the pass side inner front wheel well?

Thanks velvetgreen!

The J you are seeing is a hole or split in the metal where rust is starting.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

With a busy week in the books and everyone wanting to have some fun, we lined up a short bus run around the Hills with Brian's family, instead of choosing to log more garage time. It was a good choice, not only was the weather perfect, I hadn't seen any of the parts I had ordered last week to advance any of the current projects on the Camper Bus.

Or 1965 WT Standard never got a build thread on here, she just makes random appearances on our '77 Westy thread and here now. I'll say that having this bus to jump in and run around helps take the urgency off the camper bus project, and the Westy before Red. Needless to say, I feel immersed in this hobby and really enjoying having one to cruise as well as a project around for when the weather turns sour. I chose my favorite pics of the day to share to keep it simple.

In my family, we can never agree on things like a meal or a movie, but we always agree that a bus run is a great time. Its feels like the only thing we can all agree on and it connects us. For that I'm grateful for what the VWs bring to my crew.

The town of Keystone near Mt Rushmore has a chainsaw artist who put up a huge Big Foot this year, so we swung in to check it out. That was really fun and pretty cool to just pull up next to it.

From there it was down this hill to grab some pizza and actually get some visiting in. A needed refresh and always a great way to spend the day. We're always chomping to get out after a long winter and I don't feel I was slacking much the last several months. Both our buses ran great with no issues to report.

When I got home there was a package delivered while we were out. My latest WW order with the new fuel tank had arrived. I was too tired to mess with it and tried to keep my expectations low. I didn't open the box until just now. I was pleasantly surprised.

First off, I feel the color of paint is pretty close match to my original and at first glance, it all looked pretty good. I set my original tank next to it for some closer comparisons....I think its gonna work out great. The molding is pretty much the same and the filler neck is in the ball park. Not perfect, but there is a little flex, so hoping it will install without having to modify anything. I'm anxious to find out. I'll try to jump on it during the week if I have a gap in time anywhere.

My front drums got turned and picked up last week, little stuff like this I try to check off during the week . That's my update, thanks for checking in!

Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

First off, great thread! The documentation of each step is only bested by the actual efforts that you are putting into each step. Thanks for sharing. I have gone back and started reading your bay westy build in my spare time.

Secondly,

WildIdea wrote:
Im hearing a 12v battery could be used and lamps changed, voltage reg etc and if I choose that route the battery shop recommends put 12v solenoid on the 6v starter.

I wasn't aware that this was an option. I'm by no means questioning it but rather excited to learn something new. Please update on how the starter solenoid swap plays out and any details on the process you are privy to.

Keep up the great work!
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

great stuff going on !
Since the new tank has a proper hole for it, You may want to consider putting in a fuel gage sender unit NOW, while it's easily accessible. Even if the bus doesnt have a gage. it would be easy to mount one under dash later on. jmho.

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Okie Adam wrote:
First off, great thread! The documentation of each step is only bested by the actual efforts that you are putting into each step. Thanks for sharing. I have gone back and started reading your bay westy build in my spare time.

Secondly,

WildIdea wrote:
Im hearing a 12v battery could be used and lamps changed, voltage reg etc and if I choose that route the battery shop recommends put 12v solenoid on the 6v starter.

I wasn't aware that this was an option. I'm by no means questioning it but rather excited to learn something new. Please update on how the starter solenoid swap plays out and any details on the process you are privy to.

Keep up the great work!

THANKS Okie Adam, the ‘77 was the bus that brought me back in. It’s really what I started cutting my teeth on and put me on this path again. It’s a great bus and has taught me more than I can list here. That and all the people....immeasurable value and positivity.

I’m still a bit in the fence on what voltage to run. Leaning on a pure 6v because like I said at the beginning here, I want to learn the system as it was initially designed. I suppose I still have time to change my mind. I trust this battery shop to the fullest and wouldn’t repeat anything here unless I feel I heard them right. I mentioned that to Casey when I was dropping off two reman 6v starters to have inspected that I hear you can run 12v through them without much problem? He kinda frowned and said yeah, but if your gonna do that I would put a 12v solenoid on the starter.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

djfordmanjack wrote:
great stuff going on !
Since the new tank has a proper hole for it, You may want to consider putting in a fuel gage sender unit NOW, while it's easily accessible. Even if the bus doesnt have a gage. it would be easy to mount one under dash later on. jmho.

Thanks you djfordmanjack! Your right. I’ll look into the fuel sender. I saw German Crew run one on his DC thread and he put a gauge at the front on his parcel tray I believe....looked clean. I feel the nudge and hearing the cues...I appreciate it.
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

I run fully 6V in my 58. Have been on many long roadtrips, worked great. Make sure you have good clean connections, consider soldering the fuse box and headlight switch and have a good generator. Everything maintained and functional, it works great. I carry spares as it can be a little harder to find bulbs, coil, regulator etc while on the road.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

I’m looking at my front beam and just thinking ugghh, what a mess, where do I start? On the ‘65, I had good dust seals accept one which was split and I put a zip tie around it and pumped several full tubes of grease in the joints. This one is just too far gone to justify that and I have more of an appetite to dig deeper on this one. There is complete disintegration of anything rubber and presents a tiny clink when I grab the spindle which I feel will be more pronounced if driven on.

I’ve never had one of these off, but they’re going to get fully serviced so I get a bit of reading in where I can. My service manual spells it out. Usually I come home from work too bushed to hit the garage, but last night I was just too interested to not go poke around and one thing led to another.

Shock takes some oil and comes off with a screech. It’s rubber mount inner sleeves are rusted to the both the bolt and the lower mount. I have a method for those....and steering arm comes off with a ball joint spreader. Service manual told me where to unbolt and how and where to tap and the stub axle comes off. That’s satisfying.

I was kinda stuck there with the torsion arms not wanting to move off the beam. It’s 11pm and I get a text from Brian, he’s in his shop late too! He says I have to hit them a little bit. I would never hammer in anything without permission, but they slowly tap out! Again, pretty satisfying. I leave them in the beam where they can wait there until I’m ready for them.

Was a fun night....I’ll work the the other side off and have some cleaning ahead of me. Thanks for looking.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

if the spindles need rebuilding, send them to Greg Noble ("campingbox" on here) he's the best in the business.

Im sure you could clean them extremely well and specify him not media blast and paint them...to retain the original patina look you're after.

front suspension is much more pleasant than rear!!!
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

buseric wrote:
I run fully 6V in my 58. Have been on many long roadtrips, worked great. Make sure you have good clean connections, consider soldering the fuse box and headlight switch and have a good generator. Everything maintained and functional, it works great. I carry spares as it can be a little harder to find bulbs, coil, regulator etc while on the road.

Thanks, buseric. Looks like the road I will be taking. Thanks for the input, it adds clarity and builds confidence in the decision.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

sled wrote:
if the spindles need rebuilding, send them to Greg Noble ("campingbox" on here) he's the best in the business.

Im sure you could clean them extremely well and specify him not media blast and paint them...to retain the original patina look you're after.

Agreed, on all points. Greg is the man for the job, and will build them how you want them.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

sled wrote:

Thanks sled! And second by cdennisg!!

I reached out and spoke with Greg yesterday and he agreed to take them on! We had a wonderful conversation and I picked up a lot of good info already. Following his instructions and looking to get them headed his way (clean) within the next week or so.

Then I can carry on with the rest of the beam while I anticipate the return. Good stuff happening.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

I pulled the driver side spindle before work the other day. Came off in a snap after doing the passenger side the other night and having all the tools laid out already. The upper shock bolt was actually the toughest spot of the session, but it freed up with a little heat, oil and my breaker bar. Nothing broke.

Started in on one with some degreaser. Picked up another gallon of this wax and grease remover as the rear end ate up almost an entire gallon and I can’t be without. This stuff is critical to have around.

I have a few hours today to finish the major cake removal of the spindles and torsion arms and move closer to getting them shipped off. That’s my immediate goal.

I also ordered a fuel sender and gauge to install down the road, so the tank install can wait a few more days. I’m kinda excited to get that checked off and a few more loose parts actually on the vehicle. That area is finally shaping up and I feel good about taking my time there. Thanks!
Bendango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Feels like the engine build is just around the corner! Very Happy

WANTED - [WTB] 55-62 Bus Thin Lip Package Tray SWR

Getting Used - SWR 60 westy copy built by vw ( apparently Rolling Eyes )
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=320866

Braukuche wrote:
Where did you find the elephant dick?
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Bendango wrote:
Feels like the engine build is just around the corner! Very Happy

Maybe so, maybe so....I really cant wait for that. Still a lot up front to check off first!
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

I was fortunate to have a 3-4 hour session today, felt good. Checked off one of the spindles and have it all clean and went after a few other things while the other one was soaking in degreaser and getting picked on.

A little ultrasonic work on the parts that can fit, haha Cool

I went after the lower shock mount that had the shocks inner rubber mount sleeve rust welded to it. I was looking for a seam to thin out the opposite side of, but couldn't find one. I secured the lower arm and used my flapper disk to thin up one section. I was hoping that would do it, but I needed to thin up another side and use a hand file where my flapper would have hit the side of the arm. It was satisfying to tap it with a chisel and see it spread out and come off.

The passenger side spindle and arms descaled and hydrated with a thin layer of oil.

The driver side spindle got some love today as well, although not completely cleaned up just yet. I can only pick and scrub on this so long before I need a break. I brush on some degreaser and come back at intervals. I hope to finish it later tonight.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

WildIdea wrote:
I mentioned that to Casey when I was dropping off two reman 6v starters to have inspected that I hear you can run 12v through them without much problem? He kinda frowned and said yeah, but if your gonna do that I would put a 12v solenoid on the starter.

Running 6 volt starter solenoid on 12 volts results in the starter gear pounding the heck out of the flywheel starter gear. Been running 6 volt starter on 12 volts for years that way and several hundreds of thousands of miles. Just do remember to check for wear and grease or just replace the front bushing in the starter, when you are replacing the starter bushing in the transaxle.
Bendango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

WildIdea wrote:

This makes me wish I had taken your approach when I dealt with my under carriage. Less work than sand blasting and respraying and far far nicer results that will wear nicer.

Ill remember this for the next under carriage one day, its only OG once.

WANTED - [WTB] 55-62 Bus Thin Lip Package Tray SWR

Getting Used - SWR 60 westy copy built by vw ( apparently Rolling Eyes )
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=320866

Braukuche wrote:
Where did you find the elephant dick?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Page 23 of 32

Jump to: