Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best rebuild kit for Solex 32/43 PDSIT carbs in 2020
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: Best rebuild kit for Solex 32/43 PDSIT carbs in 2020 Reply with quote

I am looking for the best quality rebuild kit available today for Solex Dual 32/34 PDSIT carbs. I am mostly interested in finding the best gaskets, o-rings, etc. I have done a lot of homework but most information is from the past and less pertinent to today.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank You.
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Best rebuild kit for Solex 32/43 PDSIT carbs in 2020 Reply with quote

Probably going to be Royze if the needle & seats are still made well
They were also preferred
Chris
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Best rebuild kit for Solex 32/43 PDSIT carbs in 2020 Reply with quote

For a few bucks more bite the bullet and send them to Tim at Volkzbitz, the carb(s) that comes back is just like you'd bought a brand new one from the dealer back in the day, no home rebuild can come close.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Best rebuild kit for Solex 32/43 PDSIT carbs in 2020 Reply with quote

I know - I should send them to Tim. I have been in touch and he gave a quote. And if it weren’t for all the work I’ve lost because of the pandemic, I would have sent these to him months ago.

Like many of us, I’m just trying to maximize my resources. I could also wait and keep driving with my center mount Weber - which is actually running quite well in the summer weather with 17 mpg. But I know the duals will be much better.

At least The first one cleaned up nicely-

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Best rebuild kit for Solex 32/43 PDSIT carbs in 2020 Reply with quote

top is warped at the middle screw, and throttle bushing looks worn from the photo. Don't kill a good set if you don't have the tools to fix it properly. We understand about the lack of funds many have right now.
xyzzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Best rebuild kit for Solex 32/43 PDSIT carbs in 2020 Reply with quote

I mixed and matched pieces from various kits. Your mating surfaces are indeed warped as SGKent says. Even my original and fairly pristine duals were warped at the mating surfaces. Telford helped me get these cleaned up after getting them rebuild from Tim @ Volkzbitz.

The biggest challenge was getting the correct float levels after having removed material getting the mating surfaces flat. Don't bend the float tabs, no matter what.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Best rebuild kit for Solex 32/43 PDSIT carbs in 2020 Reply with quote

Info on rebuild kit recommended from Richard Atwell.

https://www.ratwell.com/technical/DualCarbs.html#kits

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Best rebuild kit for Solex 32/43 PDSIT carbs in 2020 Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-SOLEX-34-PDSIT-CARBURE...Swu4BVnslm
in Italy
seem to be old time solex parts place.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Best rebuild kit for Solex 32/43 PDSIT carbs in 2020 Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip Alan, this is more promising than what I've seen out there.

I also wanted to thank Tim (from Volkzbitz) - he sent an email through the Samba providing me some excellent help/support/and advice. This was very kind and I am grateful to this community of people who are so willing to be helpful.

Thank You Tim (and all of the rest of you) for taking the time to provide meaningful guidance on this, and so many more topics to keep our VW's running the best we can.

Jeff
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Best rebuild kit for Solex 32/43 PDSIT carbs in 2020 Reply with quote

That same Ebay seller in Italy has LOTS of neat stuff. Like throttle shafts and blades.
(also throttle shafts for my 1956 Porsche carbs, 32PBIC.)
Keep in mind, that Solex carbs are EXPENSIVE. Always were. Germany's best always cost more than Italian stuff.
I like these 32-34 PDSITs but they are complicated and often worn or missing parts. They are easily the hardest carbs I ever balanced. But they will hold their setting for years, unlike cheesy aftermarket stuff.
I once bought a ragged 1973 bus with automatic. The Vacuum advance was non functioning. I finally bit the bullet and bought one from the dealer for about 1/3 of what I paid for the whole car. But after that I was finally able to get the carbs dialed in and wow, the performance was pretty glorious.
Front shocks were quite a little worn, but that thing had so much roll on oomph, one could ALMOST DO A WHEELIE! Well, with a couple bounces. This was how a stock 62hp CD code engine is supposed to run.
Vanagons:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: Best rebuild kit for Solex 32/43 PDSIT carbs in 2020 Reply with quote

Machine shops can anneal and straighten cylinder heads easily, has anyone tried stripping a car and having a warped body straightened this way?
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Best rebuild kit for Solex 32/43 PDSIT carbs in 2020 Reply with quote

I followed the link to CB performance and noticed they are selling those Brazil Solex 34 PDSITs for $360ish for the set.
Really, that is a terrific price. Also, they have the choke thermostats for $21.95 and 28m venturis silly cheap.
I don't know how these would fit with the stock 72-74 air cleaners, which also give heated air at startup. And, you might not pass smog check in CA, But that would be a good way to go as well.
Still not quite as good a system as the FI, but if you already have low pressure pump, WAY better than a single progressive.
Vanagons:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: