Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front inner wheel bearing removal
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:56 am    Post subject: Front inner wheel bearing removal Reply with quote

Does anyone have any tricks to press out the front inner wheel bearing race? the manual says to press it out from the other side. I have a large drift of the correct size and a large press but the drift won't fit through the opposite side. The bearing race is about 59mm in diameter and the opening on the other side for the outer bearing is only 54mm.

I wanted to avoid using a punch. I think it would screw up the bearing seat as there's very little real estate to punch on.
I'm going to fabricate a special tool for the press to do this but wanted to ask if anyone had any tricks before i did so.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Front inner wheel bearing removal Reply with quote

I use a brass punch to avoid damaging the race but that's my only trick
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Front inner wheel bearing removal Reply with quote

I also use a punch. Carefully
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Front inner wheel bearing removal Reply with quote

Heat the drum around the race a little with propane torch then sometimes even a wood dowel will get it moving. I also use a brass drift.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Front inner wheel bearing removal Reply with quote

You use a punch or a drift whatever you want to call it and angle it in from the opposite side and hit it on opposite sides until it drops out-prob the drum on 2 2x4s so it can drop out.

A 2lb ball peen hammer works well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2oLA6--fwQ

4min mark

Last edited by 74 Thing on Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Front inner wheel bearing removal Reply with quote

Why are you taking it out? I can't think of a good reason to pull it unless you're replacing it, in which case get a long straight punch and go to town from the backside.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Front inner wheel bearing removal Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:
Why are you taking it out? I can't think of a good reason to pull it unless you're replacing it, in which case get a long straight punch and go to town from the backside.

I want to media blast the drums and I think the bearings and races are mismatched. I'd rather just replace them and not have to worry about them.

Thanks for the input everyone.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Front inner wheel bearing removal Reply with quote

edgood1 wrote:
Thompson2 wrote:

I want to media blast the drums and I think the bearings and races are mismatched. I'd rather just replace them and not have to worry about them.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Yup... long thin punch from the backside, a good hammer and some profanity... you'll be fine. Very Happy 2x4 under the drum is a good suggestion to prevent chipping..

And if you were just blasting, stuff some paper towels in the center of the drum and be careful how you hit the center. No need to pull anything out for that.
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Front inner wheel bearing removal Reply with quote

Your flaps should have a tool you can rent. It’s a drum race removal tool. It’s basically a circle with two bits chopped off it. They have them in various sizes.

There are some photos of the factory ones on this site in the tool listing. I think the number is 447 & 447b
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: Front inner wheel bearing removal Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
Your flaps should have a tool you can rent. It’s a drum race removal tool. It’s basically a circle with two bits chopped off it. They have them in various sizes.

There are some photos of the factory ones on this site in the tool listing. I think the number is 447 & 447b

Thanks. I ended up making something similar that worked great. Someone else gave me the idea of welding a bead around the inner face of the race and the heat contraction causes it to drop out. I googled that and it's a real thing:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hemmings.com/stor...-races/amp

Not sure that I'd use mig on a cast iron drum but I might try to Tig one.
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Front inner wheel bearing removal Reply with quote

I've used the (MIG) welding method a few times. Worked everytime.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Front inner wheel bearing removal Reply with quote

I made this contraption for the press:

it worked like a charm. no profanity required!
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Front inner wheel bearing removal Reply with quote

What's wrong with using a long punch? I've changed thousands of them (literally) that way.
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Front inner wheel bearing removal Reply with quote

Bruce Amacker wrote:
What's wrong with using a long punch? I've changed thousands of them (literally) that way.

It's really loud and I do this stuff super early in the morning in my attached garage. It also eliminates the risk of screwing up the bearing seat.
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Front inner wheel bearing removal Reply with quote

I like the tool you made. Nice and delicate.

I have also used the method of mig welding the inside of the race to shrink it. Works great!
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: