Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westy poptop holder screws.
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject: Westy poptop holder screws. Reply with quote

So I was very impatient and used the correct diameter screws but the wrong length and just saw they pulled out of the wood.

Will it be OK to have the screws as long as the wood? I'll have to fill the holes with putty and not sure what kind for maximum strength. Suggestions please. Feeling so stupid, I should have known better.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy poptop holder screws. Reply with quote

I thought you were a part time shop teacher?
Buy longer screws. They're oval head slotted IIRC. Get stainless.
Fill the old holes with wood glue and then jam the holes full of toothpicks. The combination of glue and toothpicks will give your new screws some bite. Once the glue dries hard, predrill, of course.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Westy poptop holder screws. Reply with quote

Yes pretty stupid of me to have used the shorted screws in the first place. So the original were oval, that helps as I'd like to look through my boxes for the original ones. Yes I do use toothpicks and wood glue Wink

Major Woody wrote:
I thought you were a part time shop teacher?
Buy longer screws. They're oval head slotted IIRC. Get stainless.
Fill the old holes with wood glue and then jam the holes full of toothpicks. The combination of glue and toothpicks will give your new screws some bite. Once the glue dries hard, predrill, of course.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: