Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1957 Oval Euro Ragtop
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Oval Euro Ragtop Reply with quote

1958ghia wrote:
Those peanuts are coming off and holes welded up, I’ll use the semaphores!
Thanks!!

… i'd say, those "puffy" peanuts were put on at the USA port, anyway, to bring in-line with USA specs - nothing like the Euro-look - nice.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1958ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Oval Euro Ragtop Reply with quote

Dan22 wrote:
1958ghia wrote:
So I am super excited to show off my new purchase!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

!

Is this where you found it? Parked next to a corn field? Smile Smile

Well kind of. The owner posted on FaceBook Marketplace and this is where we pulled in to buy it. Cornfield all around and some dang muddy areas too. I’ve started taking door panels and such off to clean inside, found about 1/2” of caked in dirt in the bottom of the doors, but perfectly preserved and dry!!
1958ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Oval Euro Ragtop Reply with quote

Got the OG interior uncovered! A bit of ripping which I can live with, and unfortunately way back when someone replaced the passenger seat base with one that has either beige or gray/green polka dot upholstery.. So if anyone wants to swap for a blue polka dot base?! I bet that’s next to impossible to find... Not too bad looking for a 64-year old interior set!!

67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Oval Euro Ragtop Reply with quote

Very nice! Place a WTB, you never know. You only need one decent seat to get the passenger side bottom and driver's backrest.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1958ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Oval Euro Ragtop Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
Very nice! Place a WTB, you never know. You only need one decent seat to get the passenger side bottom and driver's backrest.

Good call! That’s very true..
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Oval Euro Ragtop Reply with quote

1958ghia wrote:
67 Florida Deluxe wrote:

Good call! That’s very true..

It's probably far fetched but I found a back rest cover this way years ago.
Near mint passenger back rest cover to install on the driver's side. Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Oval Euro Ragtop Reply with quote

… a great source of parts is in thesamba classifieds - I wanted to keep the seats in my pacific blue Ghia - all apart at the seams - WANTED a driver seat to match my passenger seat - put a wanted ad and got exactly what I wanted for $200, shipped - lucky me...

that great matching driver seat is not original to this car - never thought i'd find that great match...

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Oval Euro Ragtop Reply with quote

I'll add to the anecdotes...

The PO of my '56 oval got the proper front footwell carpet for Strato Silver because he placed a WTB - and it's in remarkable condition (still awaiting installation by me Embarassed ). Fortunately, the rear carpet/parcel tray is original to the car. I got several near-impossible parts for other vehicles by placing WTB ads. There are folks that have parts in their stash that don't give them much thought until a WTB ad triggers them. One has nothing to lose except the cost of the free ad Cool

'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Oval Euro Ragtop Reply with quote

failing that himmelservice sell it by the metre but it is new looking and not faded!

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Oval Euro Ragtop Reply with quote

finster wrote:
failing that himmelservice sell it by the metre but it is new looking and not faded!

Or closer to home, West Coast Classics. I believe they get it from himmelservice. Not sure about the price differential, but there may be a difference in minimum amount bought. Worth checking both if you decide to go the new route. Then take it out back and let the kids play with it for a while prior to install to wear off some of the "newness" Smile

http://www.classicvws.com/material.htm

1958ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Oval Euro Ragtop Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
finster wrote:

Or closer to home, West Coast Classics. I believe they get it from himmelservice. Not sure about the price differential, but there may be a difference in minimum amount bought. Worth checking both if you decide to go the new route. Then take it out back and let the kids play with it for a while prior to install to wear off some of the "newness" Smile

http://www.classicvws.com/material.htm

Thanks all! Have an email already into HimmelService about possible door panel fabric inserts too, so seat covers may just be the next thing on the list..
1958ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Oval Euro Ragtop Reply with quote

I just took my speedo out to fix color squares and check this out! Blue text was a conversion ring glued onto the KPH original speedo! Anyone see one before?? Kinda cool..

67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Oval Euro Ragtop Reply with quote

Cool! Never seen that before. Pretty stealth Cool

Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Oval Euro Ragtop Reply with quote

Ahhhh, that explains the blue text! Very cool, I want one. I'm really curious about the history behind this part.

What's interesting is that the diamond-shaped window for the turn indicator light lacks the fletchings (side points) of an "arrow." And the other two holes were probably slightly larger to aid in alignment and for full view of the oil and gen lights. I wonder if it was a factory part Think

Last edited by Busstom on Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
1958ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Oval Euro Ragtop Reply with quote

So on my car it was definitely Euro delivery (awaiting birth certificate), and someone in military brought it back to US in 60s timeframe. So maybe it was a common conversion?!
Happy hunting!
1958ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Oval Euro Ragtop Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Ahhhh, that explains the blue text! Very cool, I want one. I'm really curious about the history behind this part.

What's interesting is that the diamond-shaped window for the turn indicator light lacks the fletchings (side points) of an "arrow." And the other two holes were probably slightly larger to aid in alignment and for full view of the oil and gen lights. I wonder if it was a factory part Think

The other one out there for sale now. You can see underneath. Holes are definitely enlarged and it seems to cover up the VDO logo too..

1958ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Oval Euro Ragtop Reply with quote

Been working on getting the rear wheelwells fixed up with some Wolf Parts rear bumper brackets. First, some idiot sprayed some rattlecan cream color in the wheelwells for some reason, so got that back down to the original Horizon blue paint color - amazes me that the wheelwells can be SO clean and painted nicely but then back in the bumper bracket area have issues of rust and hosed up bumper bolts/etc. Oh well, I'll work on getting the color cut in later but here is some progress!

Rear apron off - you can see the cream color here:

Rusted-out bumper area though:

Cleaned up and ready for cutting:

Final fit-up:

First welding, now just need to finish up and grind down:
Bendango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Oval Euro Ragtop Reply with quote

What’s the latest - this thing was look sweet.

WANTED - [WTB] 55-62 Bus Thin Lip Package Tray SWR

Getting Used - SWR 60 westy copy built by vw ( apparently Rolling Eyes )
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=320866

Braukuche wrote:
Where did you find the elephant dick?
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Oval Euro Ragtop Reply with quote

1958ghia wrote:
I just took my speedo out to fix color squares and check this out! Blue text was a conversion ring glued onto the KPH original speedo! Anyone see one before?? Kinda cool..

but then how would the distance be counted? I suppose the counter in the middle of the speedo is still counting KM's, not miles?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1958ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Oval Euro Ragtop Reply with quote

Ah yes! I have been VERY busy over this summer on the project, and ended up going WAY beyond where I was originally going to go. Initially I was going to keep OG paint, but it ended up that more and more of it was not OG and so I decided to go all-in for a re-paint and re-interior job.

First and foremost was getting the front driver's quarter fender replaced because it had been hit on the fender, and you can see how much filler was used, so off it went!

Then it was time for donor metal to be installed:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: