Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1957 Oval Euro Ragtop
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1958ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Oval Euro Ragtop Reply with quote

After getting quarter fender replaced and rear bumper brackets were all fixed, the rest of the body was 100% rust-free and original, so started getting ready for epoxy primer.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Then got the epoxy primer applied and high-build urethane:

Laid down some good paint eventually (I screwed up mixture on initial paint and it was too thick, my compressor crapped out unknowingly during painting, etc.) So needless to say there is a lot of paint sprayed on this car now! I used single stage urethane paint, mixed as close as I could get to the OG L331 Horizon Blue, because I kept the interior OG paint and exterior is all that got resprayed (including under fenders, fender wells, etc.)

Finished product after fenders reinstalled:

Next to my '67 Westy:
1958ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Oval Euro Ragtop Reply with quote

Couldn't resist getting some pics of my mom's Mignonette 1959 Ragtop while I was putting on running boards and fixing the brakes! Pretty cool to have a couple ragtops in the garage at once!

1958ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Oval Euro Ragtop Reply with quote

Now a current update, after getting correct symmetrical euro headlights installed, got the semaphores working, bumpers installed, etc.. Basically exterior is done because I've been waiting since early March for interior kit to show up from WCC. I think it'll show up any day now for the correct blue polka dot complete seat covers and door panels! Time to start on headliner next then work my way down.

1958ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Oval Euro Ragtop Reply with quote

Oh, and a couple interior shots as well. Got the radio installed, new speaker installed and working great! Also the interior is absolutely ready for the new kit from WCC - I put down some thin/rubber Dynamat-style insulation, 1/4" foam insulation over that, and then carpet padding/headliner padding into the roof area as well. Coming along!

Here is a couple dash pictures of how I am going to roll with the OG paint. Got some knob/switch rings as well that are all in German (evidently Choke in German is "Choke" lol!). Thought they fit the car nicely considering it was originally delivered to Berlin.

aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Oval Euro Ragtop Reply with quote

Very nice job, gtreat progress pics, liking the stance.? Were those dash knob inserts an options items? Or aftermarket? Kinda sorta funny, 3 knobs for short memory individuals
Tomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Oval Euro Ragtop Reply with quote

Outstanding work and a beautiful car.
Like the other one too, what does it have for a colour?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1958ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Oval Euro Ragtop Reply with quote

The green 1959 ragtop is a 9-month only color for square windows called L14 Mignonette Green - it was also used in split window cars called Reseda Green I believe as well.

Tomas - the dash knob rings are just magnetic aftermarket pieces that someone makes - not sure if I'll keep them on or not, but I kind of like the German language on them.
Bendango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Oval Euro Ragtop Reply with quote

Looks great especially next to your mums car. What a garage and great job.

WANTED - [WTB] 55-62 Bus Thin Lip Package Tray SWR

Getting Used - SWR 60 westy copy built by vw ( apparently Rolling Eyes )
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=320866

Braukuche wrote:
Where did you find the elephant dick?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Oval Euro Ragtop Reply with quote

The paint looks amazing in the photos. Very nice build! Interior will really set it off!
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Oval Euro Ragtop Reply with quote

Awesome! And a few questions....

1.) Please tell me you've done paint & body before.......that work (metalwork ta' boot) is too good for you to just have picked up some tools & had at it. Wink

2.) Looks like you did all right in the garage yes? How did you vent the fumes?? (I'm great at paint repair, preservation, etc. but have never touched a spray gun & would like to be able to in the future so I could handle my own repairs/sprays if I had to)

3.) Whose disc brake kit is that (if you know)

Thanks in advance! Cool
1958ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Oval Euro Ragtop Reply with quote

RandyV - to answer your questions!
1 - that was the first car that I've fully done bodywork/paint on. I definitely learned a TON, and I have a LOT of stuff in my garage now that is Horizon Blue that my wife is kinda pissed about.. hahahaha!

2 - I actually didn't vent it out, because I was worried about bugs and stuff from outside, that was one of the items that I would do differently. Here is right after painting:

3 - I'm not sure who's disc brake kit it is, but I am thinking Empi or one of the cheaper kits - I put an AC Industries kit on my Westy and was actually quite impressed with it. I would recommend AC Industries even though it is a Chinese kit - there is another forum outside of theSamba that someone did all the measurements for run-out, etc. and said everything was spot-on too!
1958ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Oval Euro Ragtop Reply with quote

Started to get some headliner material in. I can at least get the pieces that won't be touching the blue polka dot material (aka b-pillar) done, which really just amounts to the rear window surround. Definitely the toughest piece to get situated right, but I think it turned out pretty well. This is one of the cheaper Wolfsburg West headliner kits, but I was pretty happy with the one that I installed in my mom's '59 ragtop. Maybe my next car will get the full treatment of the WCC german cloth!

You can see the foam insulation overlaid over the thin/rubbery Dynamat style stuff here - it definitely deadened the sound!

Window area cut out and glued to the exterior edge of the window. Window rubber will really hold it in-place nicely.

Final work, just some clips to dry overnight.
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Oval Euro Ragtop Reply with quote

Great work again!!

Wow! You did a fantastic job in my amateur opinion on paint! I can imagine how the wife feels...LOL!! Laughing (25 years ago a buddy of our "group" used to paint in a garage that we vented with a couple of house fans and cops would eventually shut it down but those are great old stories to tell....) Laughing Wink Cool

And more kudos to you on headliner. I currently am dealing with a PO "looser than I'd like" install and while I'd probably help a friend on their install....I'd rather leave mine to the pros for an uber-tight and proper (ragtop too) install.

Kudos again!!! Wink
1958ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Oval Euro Ragtop Reply with quote

Getting a couple things going lately. Finally found a good-looking US Forces in Germany ‘57 front plate and got it mounted, and got some pics of my almost done interior kit from WCC/Silver Lining Auto Restoration (Morrie). Excited to get this kit in my hands! Unfortunately Lenny didn’t write down my request for lighter blue vinyl and light gray rear cardboard, but I’m excited to get the polka dot blue fabric interior either way!

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Oval Euro Ragtop Reply with quote

Beautiful work! I am hoping you blew out the pilot light on the water heater before spraying that gas cloud in the garage? If not, someone is watching out for you!

Car looks great!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
1958ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Oval Euro Ragtop Reply with quote

Haha, good point Jimbo! I think the picture looked MUCH worse than it actually was, because there are two pilot lights in there - hot water heater and gas furnace! Embarassed
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Oval Euro Ragtop Reply with quote

1958ghia wrote:
Haha, good point Jimbo! I think the picture looked MUCH worse than it actually was, because there are two pilot lights in there - hot water heater and gas furnace! Embarassed

The furnace looks fairly new. So, it most probably has electronic ignition. Does it click-click-click upon the demand for heat?

Anyways, I had a neighbor, several blocks away from our house, back when I was a kid, who burned the garage and a few rooms of their house down to the ground, because of spraying in their garage!

Be safe! Bug looks great!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
1958ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Oval Euro Ragtop Reply with quote

Thanks Jimbo! It's getting there. I can't wait to get the interior to my house and start installing the rest of the headliner and then move onto carpet/interior bits!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Oval Euro Ragtop Reply with quote

I can’t wait either! You are tackling all of the items that I will have coming up in the next 2 years! I am watching the details getting checked off. Keep the pictures going!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
1958ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Oval Euro Ragtop Reply with quote

Few updates that I've had little time to work on lately with the holidays and such, but I was able to get the blue canvas sunroof cover on and complete out the headliner. It is the WCC sunroof cover and I might pull it back off to try to get it to "pucker" less where it transitions to the side edges - not terribly happy with the fit as it seems too narrow too. I'm working with Morrie that bought WCC and he is interested in getting measurements and OG samples of bug sunroof covers if anyone has one that they're taking off and not using again (ripped/etc) just for details! Let me know if you have one.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: