Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Time to buy CARBS... help me out
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:04 pm    Post subject: Time to buy CARBS... help me out Reply with quote

OK the engine is ready for tins, etc... I don't have carbs tho. I figured I would get stock-ish carbs. Air Cooled dot net experts say to go with weber 40 IDFs. My 1st thought was the Solex 34 PDSI.

Engine is TIV 1.7 built to oem 2.0. In a bus of course. Got some assume New Camper Special Heads. IIRC they are ported like the 2.0. Got the 9590 cam from Type 4 store for carbs.

So what should I get?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Time to buy CARBS... help me out Reply with quote

if you plan to use it in winter where you are in TN, consider a whole factory set up. This means other parts, and probably getting the carbs from Tim at Volksblitz. If this is a summer vehicle only then anything with or without chokes will work. That is my 2 cents.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Time to buy CARBS... help me out Reply with quote

The type 4 gurus will know what carbs you can run on a two liter. Probably FI or aftermarket racing FI system could be used for mild to great performance. The critical issues are matching the cam and heads and stroke etc with the right venturi size. People run the IDA-48 on them which would be pretty much the ultimate carburetor for a Type 4 2.0 liter Race Engine. A single weber progressive is available but it wouldn't be. a very good choice. typically chokes aren't needed with dual carbs as they warm up nicely being mounted to the aluminum intake manifolds that bolt directly to the heads. Dual ICT 34's are available but have all the complexity and jetting issues of IDF's DRLA's without the performance the larger carburetors offer. The Weber IDF 40 or 44 are probably the best performance for the money.

Last edited by Danwvw on Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Time to buy CARBS... help me out Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
The type 4 gurus will know what carbs you can run on a two liter. Probably FI or aftermarket racing FI system could be used for mild to great performance. The critical issues are matching the cam and heads and stroke etc with the right venturi size. People run the IDA-48 on them which would be pretty much the ultimate carburetor for a Type 4 2.0 liter Race Engine. A single weber progressive is available but it wouldn't be. a very good choice. typically chokes aren't needed with dual carbs as they warm up nicely being mounted to the aluminum intake manifolds that bolt directly to the heads.

-17F is the record low there in 1985. Without chokes I think it might be a bit hard to start in really cold weather when it is in the - numbers. The average low in January there is 27F.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Time to buy CARBS... help me out Reply with quote

They actually start better once it's below about 20' F just need big enough squirt jets and the trick is to pump the throttle with it very near closed. But If what your after is just a stock performance tame engine then then run the stock carbs or the 34's and choke it. I have a set of Dellorto 40's with "choke" IE enrichment circuits that I have never tried as I don't seem to need chokes on my Dellorto 36's on my 1.8L Type 1 VW Bus engine. The 9590 Cam looks like a great set-up, Looks like it's the cam for the 100 Horse 914 version of the T-4 engine and is mild enough to run Stock FI.

Last edited by Danwvw on Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Time to buy CARBS... help me out Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
They actually start better once it's below about 20' F just need big enough squirt jets and the trick is to pump the throttle with it very near closed. But If what your after is just a stock performance tame engine then then run the stock carbs or the 34's and choke it. I have a set of Dellorto 40's with "choke" IE enrichment circuits that I have never tried as I don't seem to need chokes on my Dellorto 36's on my 1.8L Type 1 VW Bus engine.

I didn't know the Oregon coast got to -15F. I had many cars with carbs and chokes when I was younger. It is hard to start one at that temp even with a choke - and without it the raw fuel washes the oil off the cylinders and causes lots of wear. Maybe a block heater too at those temps.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Time to buy CARBS... help me out Reply with quote

Yes here it's not a problem. But I had a 356 which didn't have chokes in Colorado. Pretty much not happy once it got below -5 Degrees Just too much pumping but it would be ok once I got it going. But yeah sounds like with the mild cam and all FI would be the best way to go. I have heard VW heads on the Type 4's won't rev much to take advantage of much cam. Really need the Porsche heads to rev.
CessnaJon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Time to buy CARBS... help me out Reply with quote

My 2.0 is equipped with dual Kadron 40s, without chokes. I’ve never had starting problems in 15 years of ownership here near Atlanta. I recommend the Kadrons. Check out the Kaddy shack- they can build you some carbs to fit your particular application.
2015 Sportwagon TDI 6sp
LR-JET, Gulfstream 159
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Time to buy CARBS... help me out Reply with quote

I guess they are OK. Just dirty and rusty, maybe. If VW thought enough of them to use them, I guess I could go with these reburbed???

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Time to buy CARBS... help me out Reply with quote

Im running a similar setup as you with 40IDFs from ACN. I went with the Webers because I know them from tuning them on my 912.

There are millions of them out there. Parts and tuning info will never be a problem.

Sure they might pop and cough a little bit when you start in the morning, but they will run great after the 1st start.

If you are really worried about the choke, you CAN get a choke kit for the 40 IDFs and rig up some kind of cable to activate them.

Choke is not necessary IMO though. A few pumps before turning the key will squirt some fuel down the throats to get them started.
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Time to buy CARBS... help me out Reply with quote

Dellorto 36
Weber40 idf
Can’t go wrong with either
Electric. Fuel pump with relay
Also low budget Weber 34 ICT carbs
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Time to buy CARBS... help me out Reply with quote

Quality linkage is also super important
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yonder1981
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Time to buy CARBS... help me out Reply with quote

malcolm2 wrote:
I guess they are OK. Just dirty and rusty, maybe. If VW thought enough of them to use them, I guess I could go with these reburbed???

I may be interested in that setup if you want to get rid of it. I’m looking for carbs for my 1.7l stock bus motor. The ones I got were apparently for a type 3.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Time to buy CARBS... help me out Reply with quote

Good luck buying 50 year old carbs
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
Uberchin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Time to buy CARBS... help me out Reply with quote

Kaddie Shack sells custom tuned Kadrons in 40mm and 44mm sizes. Very nice carbs.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: