Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anybody pick up an old Beetle for a retirement project?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:37 am    Post subject: Anybody pick up an old Beetle for a retirement project? Reply with quote

Hi Samba folks

I am getting to that part in my life where I might be able to stop working 1 1/2 jobs and only work 1 part time job...I have had several of these old VW's over the years...(nothing currently in the garage now).

So I have been thinking about getting another one to tinker with and when I can move to a smaller quieter town actually be able to take it out for Sunday drives too...

Anybody else doing the same thing?

Thanks for any insight.

MikeC
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody pick up an old Beetle for a retirement project? Reply with quote

Can’t see a downside to that. Beats sitting in a chair getting fat.😀
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody pick up an old Beetle for a retirement project? Reply with quote

mikec4193 wrote:
Anybody pick up an old Beetle for a retirement project?

I did somewhat similar, but it was my own 1970 sedan that I'd retired 23 years earlier when I needed its insurance money to feed the kids. So the VW was sitting on the side of my house all those years.

See this thread for its resurrection and pictures
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=664950

Before:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I decided to get new tires too

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody pick up an old Beetle for a retirement project? Reply with quote

mikec4193 wrote:
Hi Samba folks

I am getting to that part in my life where I might be able to stop working 1 1/2 jobs and only work 1 part time job...I have had several of these old VW's over the years...(nothing currently in the garage now).

So I have been thinking about getting another one to tinker with and when I can move to a smaller quieter town actually be able to take it out for Sunday drives too...

Anybody else doing the same thing?

Thanks for any insight.

MikeC

Absolutely!

Time is the biggest factor in doing these projects and doing them right.

1500-2000 hrs make for some really nice builds (it's the sticker shock of labor that keeps them from happening), and since you'll have the time avail and will save considerably on labor costs, you'll be living most vw lovers dream.

I'm currently about 50/50 on that path now. Basically, part time customer builds, part time my own.

I've held on to a few "core" cars specifically for the retirement purpose Laughing
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody pick up an old Beetle for a retirement project? Reply with quote

Well, I retired an old Beetle for a pick me up once. Razz. It's almost the same thing, right?

In this poor old '59 Bug I could see 3 tires sitting in the driver's seat. There were even rust holes through the rain gutters! It had been wrecked in the front twice, the first one so bad they straightened the cowl and drivers door, and welded part of the floorpan back down. But it had a rebuilt exchange 36 horse in it with about 6000 miles on it and a '57 case. It supplied lots of parts for others cars and a pile of rusty sheet metal for the local recycler.
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody pick up an old Beetle for a retirement project? Reply with quote

I did it. Three years ago I bought a 1973 Beetle rolling shell with extra parts from a SAMBA advertiser. Pretty solid but did need some rust repair. Added a bunch of parts that I had already and 13 months later I drove it out of the garage. I drive it often and really enjoy it.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody pick up an old Beetle for a retirement project? Reply with quote

I do it! I went from 80 hours a week, and am finally down to 30! That extra time has allowed me time to work on the Bug(s)!

Time well spent!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody pick up an old Beetle for a retirement project? Reply with quote

Yeah. And bought a small shop to work on them....and 5 years later, 2 full time techs and a one year back log.....enjoy your retirement....LOL
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody pick up an old Beetle for a retirement project? Reply with quote

I did it the other way around, collected project cars to fill my retirement days. Now that retirement is a reality and I have the time and most of the skills the funds are a bit harder to come by so I need to thin the herd so to speak as I cannot see having the money to insure and drive them all never mind the cost of restoration.
Blue66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody pick up an old Beetle for a retirement project? Reply with quote

Yes, I bought my 72 vert, so that I could work on it once I retired last month. I work on restoring it bit by bit, no rush. Almost ready for a new paint job. Today I need to figure out why I am blowing fuses. Yesterday I adjusted the short throw shifter and discovered no shift plate present, also fixed sticky rear side window. I enjoy the time to tinker with little outside pressure.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody pick up an old Beetle for a retirement project? Reply with quote

I say go for it. It is something to do. Found this two year ago...parked for ten years. Oh boy was it covered with sap. Now a nice grocery getter.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
IamZardoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody pick up an old Beetle for a retirement project? Reply with quote

I'm a retired old guy now and just picked up my bug a few weeks ago for this purpose. Its funny, I can't fit in a new Vette but fit in my new 74 bug just fine. I've had plenty of go-fast cars but I'm not so much interested in owning one anymore. My goal is to get my bug registered and inspected then fix a little here and there over the years. I could have afforded some finished high dollar GTO or Chevelle but my first car was a bug, it seems most parts are available and most importantly, it doesnt take up a ton of room in the garage! It also takes the place of my Harley I sold last year, Ive owned bikes for 45 years but idiots on cellphones just made that too dangerous for me.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody pick up an old Beetle for a retirement project? Reply with quote

I’m south of you in Bethlehem

Our area is pretty good for enjoying a drive and I’m under 200 a year for insurance so pretty cheap as a hobby in terms of fixed costs

Pm me to connect local. I’m semi retired from the tech sector but still travel the world overcharging companies for restating the obvious
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody pick up an old Beetle for a retirement project? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I’m south of you in Bethlehem

Our area is pretty good for enjoying a drive and I’m under 200 a year for insurance so pretty cheap as a hobby in terms of fixed costs

Pm me to connect local. I’m semi retired from the tech sector but still travel the world overcharging companies for restating the obvious

Laughing Here I thought being a weather forecaster was the ideal job, you can be wrong every day and still not get fired!

My insurance company charges me $80 a year for my old project cars as long as I promise not to daily drive them to work.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody pick up an old Beetle for a retirement project? Reply with quote

OH I gots me plenty of work lined up for retirement - cars- boats, fishing, farm, cattle, goats, shooting, fridge full of beers, a nice pavillion for parties, military trucks for the farm...

I will be very busy. But...you fellas must devote time too for your loved ones. Not just yourselves. I am sure your wives will want to do something other than watch your asses spend too much time in the garage.

expect you will enjoy a good 5 years before things start to show up and catch your ass coz of old age. Stay healthy is all I am saying.

People retire and drop dead the next week after. Seen it so many times. So me..I will never retire. I will work my ass off till I drop dead in some field somewhere doing what I love.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody pick up an old Beetle for a retirement project? Reply with quote

IamZardoz wrote:
I'm a retired old guy now and just picked up my bug a few weeks ago for this purpose. Its funny, I can't fit in a new Vette but fit in my new 74 bug just fine. I've had plenty of go-fast cars but I'm not so much interested in owning one anymore. My goal is to get my bug registered and inspected then fix a little here and there over the years. I could have afforded some finished high dollar GTO or Chevelle but my first car was a bug, it seems most parts are available and most importantly, it doesnt take up a ton of room in the garage! It also takes the place of my Harley I sold last year, Ive owned bikes for 45 years but idiots on cellphones just made that too dangerous for me.

I love hearing this stuff....thanks for the reply...
scrivyscriv Premium Member
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody pick up an old Beetle for a retirement project? Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
People retire and drop dead the next week after..

it's especially bad in my field.. mechanics and other ramp workers retire at 65 and are gone in two months or some change. There was some discussion about it... retire at 55 you'd have another ten or fifteen years left, but if you retire later than that your life expectancy goes down very quickly.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody pick up an old Beetle for a retirement project? Reply with quote

yeppers... did the same thing, first bug was a 60' bought in 65' then life got in the way.
two years ago i bought a 70' baja turned 70 yrs old then ironic ? yes. NOT to make a show car but a play car and i love the simplicity ...still
gotta have toyz and gotta have something to do.

appears , many of us are normal..whoda thunk

enjoy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody pick up an old Beetle for a retirement project? Reply with quote

IF the Covid 19 does not get your asses, something else will. I say - enjoy your lives to the full.

It was raining the other day but I barbecued outside anyway under the canopy. LOvely pork bbq and Corona extra in the bucket of ice...sweet time.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody pick up an old Beetle for a retirement project? Reply with quote

Yes, I picked one up...and I've been picking up several VWs for retirement projects...it seems like I'm still acquiring them, but unfortunately, I'm not retired yet! But when I do, they'll be waiting for me. Very Happy

Green Bug Purple Bus Blue Bug White Bay Bus Brick wall
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: