Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

You DON'T Have a Garage to Park Your VW??
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonah888
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: You DON'T Have a Garage to Park Your VW?? Reply with quote

Has NOT having a garage stopped you from buying a VW?

Has anyone bought a VW and parked it on the street or in their carport or driveway - because they don't have a garage?

Do you think you're a responsible VW parent if you do not let it sleep in the safety of a garage? VW Logo I worry and ponder this issue. To wait or not to wait for a garage...that is the question.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: You DON'T Have a Garage to Park Your VW?? Reply with quote

I bought my 74 Beetle new and it never saw the inside of a garage until i took it off the road to restore it. that was 1998.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: You DON'T Have a Garage to Park Your VW?? Reply with quote

If you live where your profile says you do, you need a garage, an alarm, a couple of hungry, toothy, dogs...and luck..

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: You DON'T Have a Garage to Park Your VW?? Reply with quote

Lack of a garage will greatly limit your ability to get specialty car insurance.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: You DON'T Have a Garage to Park Your VW?? Reply with quote

Believe it or not the VW was a throwaway economy car, people treated them as such and they got left outdoors OMG.
Jonah888
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: You DON'T Have a Garage to Park Your VW?? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
I bought my 74 Beetle new and it never saw the inside of a garage until i took it off the road to restore it. that was 1998

Well, Well, over 2 decades - that is very encouraging!
Did you ever use a car cover or have in kind of criminal break-in happenings ?

Last edited by Jonah888 on Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jonah888
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: You DON'T Have a Garage to Park Your VW?? Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
If you live where your profile says you do, you need a garage, an alarm, a couple of hungry, toothy, dogs...and luck..

I have to admit...that's true anywhere in Long Beach... and Prayer.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: You DON'T Have a Garage to Park Your VW?? Reply with quote

Dave wrote:

There are about 400 MSAs in the US, and NYC ranks at 300 for auto theft.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: You DON'T Have a Garage to Park Your VW?? Reply with quote

Jonah888 wrote:
Glenn wrote:
I bought my 74 Beetle new and it never saw the inside of a garage until i took it off the road to restore it. that was 1998.

Well, Well, over 2 decades - that is very encouraging!
Did you ever use a car cover or have in kind of criminal break-in happenings ?

Never a cover and broken in twice at the commuter railroad station. They popped the vent window. By that time it didn't look like anything, I just left it unlocked so they didn't damage the car. They didn't know it had a 1776 with a close ratio tranny.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: You DON'T Have a Garage to Park Your VW?? Reply with quote

That was just to steal the Billy a Joel tickets you left in plain sight
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: You DON'T Have a Garage to Park Your VW?? Reply with quote

Do you live in a house or an apartment? Will you be parking in the street or ?

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: You DON'T Have a Garage to Park Your VW?? Reply with quote

I live in wet Oregon. I don’t have a garage. This state has many old VWs that live outside. I select my VWs around this issue. None of mine are trailer queens and they get used. If I had a garage I’d own a really nice VW that I would only take out on weekends. Choose wisely Wink

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: You DON'T Have a Garage to Park Your VW?? Reply with quote

I have owned VWs and many other makes and models over the years and NONE of them has ever been parked in my garage for more than to get worked on. They all came from the factory with windows and paint - as in - reasonably weather proof. A garage is for containing my tools and a space to work in. As for theft, well thank God I live in a more civilized area than some of you. We don't even lock our cars and the keys stay in the ignition so they don't get lost.

The exception to this is our Manx copy (no roof) and sand rail. They stay in the hay shed out of the rain and snow with the motorbikes.

Parking a car in a heated building in my country by the way is intentional rust suicide. Coat it with salt slop, warm it up so the salt works at it's best, take it out and get a fresh coat... repeat until you can peal the door skins up and crawl in without opening the doors!

Cold and snow have never damaged a vehicle by the way. Road salt does and the hot sun is far worse than cold.

Last edited by oprn on Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:51 am; edited 1 time in total
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: You DON'T Have a Garage to Park Your VW?? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Lack of a garage will greatly limit your ability to get specialty car insurance.

Interesting! I was not aware of that.

Here is something I just found out. If you have tools and work on your car in your garage you must inform your insurance company or you will not be covered. And yes there is a higher rate charged for that kind of use because it is now considered a workshop and not a garage!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: You DON'T Have a Garage to Park Your VW?? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
If you have tools and work on your car in your garage you must inform your insurance company or you will not be covered. And yes there is a higher rate charged for that kind of use because it is now considered a workshop and not a garage!

What if you work on it in your driveway?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: You DON'T Have a Garage to Park Your VW?? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

Interesting! I was not aware of that.

Here is something I just found out. If you have tools and work on your car in your garage you must inform your insurance company or you will not be covered. And yes there is a higher rate charged for that kind of use because it is now considered a workshop and not a garage!

If your trying to get "Agreed Value" coverage specialty carriers like Hagarty or Grundy require a secure garage or storage facility. They also want to confirm you have a daily driver. As for working in your garage, Hagarty for example covers parts & tool loss. Disclaimer, I'm not endorsing any insurance company nor do I represent any Smile

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: You DON'T Have a Garage to Park Your VW?? Reply with quote

State Farm gave me 'agreed value' with just a carport.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jonah888
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: You DON'T Have a Garage to Park Your VW?? Reply with quote

56Cabrio wrote:
Do you live in a house or an apartment? Will you be parking in the street or ?

I'm living in a house and have a carport. If I had the VW I would park him the carport instead of the street I would think.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: You DON'T Have a Garage to Park Your VW?? Reply with quote

We enclosed our old carport in CA to make into a secure workshop/garage.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: You DON'T Have a Garage to Park Your VW?? Reply with quote

When I first started in this VW life, I had no garage, no carport, so it sat outside.
The car wasn’t perfect so I wasn’t that concerned but every time it rained water would fill up behind the driver seat and I knew in a few short years I would be replacing floor pans. That day came but I had another Ghia that I was restoring so I just put some fiberglass on it and called it a day. Now that I have my new one basically finished, I can’t imagine leaving it outside for any extended period of time. The car will last a lot longer in the garage than it will outside.
The rubber seals will thank you.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: