Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

Quote:
The some of the ball joint boots are trashed and the joints looked to have surface rust and when I tested the suspension it squeaked horribly so I’m guessing new ball joints are in order.

Sounds that way, rust on your balls is bad.
Quote:
Also, random question, I forget if I posted a pic but is it common for it to rust from underneath the seat into the wheel well? The front area rusted out weird in some spots...

Gotta see the spot, the seat belt mount is notorious for rotting between the layers of metal fro example.
Quote:
Another question, is the front splash pan 1 year only? And how different is it from the later ones other than the mounting surface? I got a really clean later one from the junkyard and the 72 bus at the junkyard had a really rusted out one and I was wondering if I could combine the two to make a proper fitting good one. Or would a 72 down one work?

70-79 all interchange.
Quote:
I think this is the last question, is the engine hanger for the 411 the same as the bus or do I need to get a bus specific one?

Haven't looked at a 411 lately, but I'm fairly sure it's different.
Quote:
And how many other things need to be swapped for the 411 motor to go into the bus? I know oil filler/ dipstick tube, the front fan mesh/screen.

Pretty well all of the outer surround tin, the cylinder ones may work.
Quote:
Okay, I lied, another question, other than a mount for the charcoal canister and a few extra holes, is the rear firewall the same between a 72 and a 76? I might take the one from the bus with the gas heater so I don’t have to hack one up.

Same part.
Quote:
is the 72 gas door flap one year only

72-73 only.
Quote:
should I get a FI style fuel tank with the outlet and return line?

Wouldn't hurt, but you'll still have to add a nipple on the top for the filler vent for the 72 neck, sender will also differ but work OK.

If you are comfortable with D-jet and have all the parts do it!, it'll likely be the first bus to have it but I can't see why it wouldn't work (RayGreenwood may disagree), the cam in that 411 engine should be compatible, you'll have to get creative about where to mount the brain and some other components, could be fun.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

Okay, I uploaded a pictures, here’s the rust under the seat, sorry for the really crappy picture
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What is this part? Is it engine related? It has grease and grime on the back of it

And here’s the super hacked up wire I found to the radio Laughing it’s impressive how bad it is.

Thanks for the information, I had grabbed a gas door from a 72 but it’s rough so I was curious if I could get a better one. For the splash pan, skid plate, when I fitted it up it didn’t line up right and there needed to be a ridge, so I think they are different. The one is 73+ but I thought I had read about a 72 only one, I could be wrong.

I will definitely go D-jet, I don’t have all the parts for it but there are a ton at the junkyard, I think the bus FI gets picked over because there are so many more people needing it for their bus/ building up extras where as Type 3s, 411, 412, don’t get picked over and there aren’t many people that have them/ need parts for them. I will look for an engine hanger from a bus. Thanks for the help!
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

The long black piece is a bumper gravel guard and attaches to the bottom of the rear bumper.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

I don't recall the 72 pedal pan being odd, but I've been wrong before, the brake cables do some odd things in 72, maybe it's customized for clearance?, or maybe the bus you robbed it from had the wrong one installed by a PO? Here's some reading on them: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=597785&highlight=pedal+pan

That rust behind the seat usually results from the bottle of brake fluid that was stored there leaking, add some missing vapor barriers behind the door cards so water gets in constantly and that's the result.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
The long black piece is a bumper gravel guard and attaches to the bottom of the rear bumper.
Thanks! I had zero clue what it was for.
busdaddy wrote:
I don't recall the 72 pedal pan being odd, but I've been wrong before, the brake cables do some odd things in 72, maybe it's customized for clearance?, or maybe the bus you robbed it from had the wrong one installed by a PO? Here's some reading on them: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=597785&highlight=pedal+pan

That rust behind the seat usually results from the bottle of brake fluid that was stored there leaking, add some missing vapor barriers behind the door cards so water gets in constantly and that's the result.

Thanks for the link, it looks like 72 only but a 71 would work with a few extra holes and a 73+ is a bit different on the front lip but could be modified. It was sitting inside the bus I grabbed it from, so likely it was just thrown in there.

That makes sense, I forgot about the brake fluid being there.

Other than the pistons, cylinders, and power, what are the (if any) differences between the 1800cc and 1700cc? Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
Other than the pistons, cylinders, and power, what are the (if any) differences between the 1800cc and 1700cc? Thanks!

Valve sizes and added smog stuff, but you may not have to replace all of it (depending on where you live). The trans ratios changed slightly as well, if you can find a 5 rib "pyramid" trans it'll use every bit of that bonus power to it's best potential.

Слава Україні!
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

So I’ve done some researching, reading the ratwell site and have decided on an 1800 engine since the peak power and torque is at lower RPM. I think I will buy both the 411 and 412 engines from the junk yard so I have spares, being in Michigan, I won’t have to deal with smog stuff and depending on the years of the 411/412, they might not have smog stuff on them. Another question would be is that changing the pistons from domed to dished with the original D-jet give me issues with fuel/air ratio? Or would it just be the idle adjustment having to be increased set the base line? Has anyone had a D-jet bus or will this be a first if I do it? For the 412, it looks like I would have to add the oil dip stick hole, tube and studs to run it on the bus? I will cross this bridge when I get there but should I probably get a Type 4 manual for the D-jet fuel injection or should I be able to find enough online for it? My Bentley Service Manual arrived in the mail today for the bus, really nice used one Very Happy

Right now I’m also trying to figure out a good tire that is 14in with the correct load rating. The tires on the bus have a ton of tread left and barely driven on and have the correct load rating but there are a few hairline cracks from dry rot so those are no good for if I take a longer trip.

I also had been looking at some aircooled school videos of sliding door, mine was pretty good but not quite there yet, I was watching it as it opened and noticed the top roller wasn’t spinning, so I took it of and it was turning really hard but I figured it was old grease. So I heated it up the top side of it and it turned the grease to oil and I guess there was an air pocket at the top that expanded with heat and popped it right off. I cleaned the old grease off and put new in and it spins freely. I went through and greased the door in various areas and adjusted the lock plate. The bus is on a slight slope backwards a couple degrees, but I can push down on the handle with one finger and it releases and the door flys back Shocked it works so good now and is so smooth. The top roller really helped.

I will probably keep posting questions here and there, I will probably start working on it a lot once I finish up my bug. I’ve been busy working and it’s been so hot to get much work done and I don’t feel like it after I’ve already been working outside all day. School will be starting next week for me so I will probably have more time to work on it and make progress as backwards as it sounds.

Thanks for the help in advance!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

Raygreenwood may be able to answer the D-jet questions, Amskeptic has posted a number of sliding door refresh topics, time to figure out the search function here. (hint: search "Refresh" by author "Amskeptic" and choose "search title only")

Слава Україні!
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Raygreenwood may be able to answer the D-jet questions, Amskeptic has posted a number of sliding door refresh topics, time to figure out the search function here. (hint: search "Refresh" by author "Amskeptic" and choose "search title only")

Thanks, I will get in contact with ray. I use the search function, just not as much as I should Embarassed The sliding door is working amazing now, I probably just worded it poorly, I may still look through that thread to see if there is anything else I should lube. The sliding door track was generously lubed by the previos owner, some white grease.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

Ah, I've been looking for this thread Wink i feel awkward posting in the bay forum but hey, maybe I'll a thing or 50...
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
Ah, I've been looking for this thread Wink i feel awkward posting in the bay forum but hey, maybe I'll a thing or 50...

Nice! They’re a nice crowd, you’ll keep learning and next thing you know, you’ll have a bus in your driveway Wink thanks for checking it out though!
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

I got the engines for the bus! One is a 1971 411 D-jet engine; the other is a 412 I believe, D-jet; a 74-75 fridge stove cabinet; a nice wheel; and a ton of other parts. The 411 is on the tires in the pic.

mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

Right on!!

Uhhh, that is one hell of a parts stash!!

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, what do they charge you for a haul like that? Judging by Samba classifieds prices, should be close to $5k Wink .
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

mikewire wrote:
Right on!!

Uhhh, that is one hell of a parts stash!!

Thanks!

It’s great place, it fuels the VW addiction Laughing
wagohn wrote:
Out of curiosity, what do they charge you for a haul like that? Judging by Samba classifieds prices, should be close to $5k Wink .

Just drop a zero at the end Very Happy $500 for the treasures.

The 411 was rotten to nothing but I think the exhaust was replaced so it is amazing, there are only 2 pin holes in the muffler. More pics to come soon
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

Nice score!

I made a phone call last summer and asked if I could go shopping at my local graveyard. Luckily the gentleman I called was able to get me in. I brought $500 with me and planned on doing some shopping. I got everything I wanted (Except a rear bumper) and then some. I laid out all the parts and he told me I could just have them. 🙀 In the end I gave him $100 and took the guy who got me into the graveyard to lunch. Gotta love those old timers!!!!! Good luck with your build! ✌🏻
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Nice score!

I made a phone call last summer and asked if I could go shopping at my local graveyard. Luckily the gentleman I called was able to get me in. I brought $500 with me and planned on doing some shopping. I got everything I wanted (Except a rear bumper) and then some. I laid out all the parts and he told me I could just have them. 🙀 In the end I gave him $100 and took the guy who got me into the graveyard to lunch. Gotta love those old timers!!!!! Good luck with your build! ✌🏻

Thanks!

That’s great! The junkyards are always great because you can get all of those weird parts you need and all the miscellaneous things you need for a lot cheaper than online. Thanks, it will be fun for sure! I have to finish up some other projects first before I start too much on this.

So, the good and bad...
Good, the fridge works! It looked a little rusty so I wasn’t sure if the ammonium was still in it.
The 411 engine turns freely and the 412’s oil looks good

Bad, the 412 engine only makes half a rotation, I though it was free but it turns half a rotation and the is impossible to turn, I think one of the pistons must have rust in it because I don’t hear anything hit and I can rotate it back and forth half a rotation easily though. If it’s just pistons, no big deal I guess since I will be replacing them anyways.

The 411 is missing a few things but the dipstick has been out and I put it in and a few drops of water kept coming out on it Shocked I remember seeing oil leak from the engine when I was pulling it but the water concerns me quite a bit, it turns free though so hopefully it’s fine.

So this might be a stupid question but shouldn’t the heater boxes have aluminum fins? I thought I’ve seen them on busses but these looked like pain tubes with the wrap. Is it because they normally had a gas heater anyways?

The 412 engine with the flywheel and clutch for the manual has a 215mm clutch disk, that is the correct size for the 72 3-rib, correct?

I have to figure out a few things like that I have a ton of random vacuum hoses that I have no clue what the plug into.

Here are some pictures after parts spread out and clean. The 412 engine had sand up to the alternator nut so I grabbed a new one assuming it was trashed

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

I remember I was looking in the trailers and old school busses to find the best T4 engines and I saw the cabinet protruding up and thought, “hey! That’s a 74-75 cabinet, but what would my luck be that, that it has the stove fridge combo?” Well, I guess I got lucky Laughing Here are some from the cabinet. It was a bit of a barn find Laughing just a little dust

I’m letting it run overnight to see how cold it will get.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

yes, the 412 engine has rust in the top of the cylinder. or cylinders. dont evenrotate it another mm. your will put scratches on the tops of te cylinder edges and mess with the walls and rings if its more than even minimal corrosion.

find out cylinder is corroded, and remove the head. 9/10 the cylinders garbage. either way the hone finish and wall surface will be trashed, and can catch and break a ring.

check endplay, check oil, and if you have the cylinders out, pull on the rods for any definenf no no's.

the 411 may be a better choice. before you know it you will be knees deep in the 412. trust me, i know Laughing
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
yes, the 412 engine has rust in the top of the cylinder. or cylinders. dont evenrotate it another mm. your will put scratches on the tops of te cylinder edges and mess with the walls and rings if its more than even minimal corrosion.

find out cylinder is corroded, and remove the head. 9/10 the cylinders garbage. either way the hone finish and wall surface will be trashed, and can catch and break a ring.

check endplay, check oil, and if you have the cylinders out, pull on the rods for any definenf no no's.

the 411 may be a better choice. before you know it you will be knees deep in the 412. trust me, i know Laughing

Okay, I didn’t force it much, I’m guessing a valve was open. Hopefully I didn’t do too much damage, but I will likely be replacing pistons and cylinders On another note, under the valve covers were all very nice, no rust. The 412 has vents for the heads.

I will check endplay, I need to get the dial indicator, the 411 does need oil and it has some water, I might drain it and see what the rest of it like, maybe not tear it down yet and see if that one will run. The 412 will get a full tear down.

I want to try to only take one down at a time, don’t need to be confusing parts Laughing also, I could use the one as reference.

Edit: the 411 is a mid 71 engine, “W” code/engine number, the 412 is a 73 engine, maybe 74 with a “EA” code/engine number
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 20

Jump to: