Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

Figure I’ll post a little update here,

I ended up driving the bus out to Wisconsin two weeks back to my internship, filled it with stuff for the subie swap for the swap on the 71. It’s been doing fairly well, I have a few things to sort out but it’s running well overall. Just starting a little hard. It’s back as the daily though.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yesterday I took it out to the beach since it was nice out and did some exploring, as well as getting a few pictures of it Very Happy

“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:

orwell84 wrote:
I see you have been traveling at light speed.

good one

insert multiple smiley faces here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

Looks much better w the bumpers painted.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

Looks great! Nice clean bus.

I see you have been traveling at light speed.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

Just finished most of the paint touch up. I got a spot on the front nose touched up and got the bumpers on and everything working properly again. I drove it around today and it was nice to drive it again and enjoy it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

heyskull,

I’m not sure if they ship to the UK but there is a company called Temple Paint or something similarly that does rattle cans of original VW paint colors. They have matches for all the original color codes.

You could also try to find a paint shop and see if they are willing to color match and even blend new paint into old. You could do all the prep work, sanding, masking, etc and it will make it cheaper.

If the paint is faded, polishing may help blend in the new paint or get a more accurate representation of what the color currently is to match.

It may be worth looking in the paint forum here for some better advice.

Good luck,
Aiden
heyskull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

I also like you have a 1972 Westfalia.
In April 2024 my son is getting married and has asked to use my bus as his wedding vehicle.

So I am thinking about doing a few bits of bodywork on mine but want to keep the originality of the existing paintwork as more than 70% is original paint.
I have had the wheels blasted and powder coated which has improved it no end.

Sadly the front panel on mine has been replaced at some point in its life and although newer panels have been used/altered it is showing signs of corrosion again.
Is there anywhere in the UK that could match the colour so that i can carry these repairs out myself? I need to add that the paintwork is faded.

I have a compressor, sander and a paint gun but I do not want to do any welding as I know this would end as a full blown restoration and i do not have the time for this and it would end up being a garage ornament.

SC
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
Your paint looks good. Nice work. I love the idea of taking my bus down the the bare shell, prepping it and sending it to a shop for paint.

The reality is that it would probably end up being in pieces for years.

The rolling resto, paint in sections is probably the best way for me and results can still be quite good.

Thanks! I definitely don’t want to do another bare shell again, it’s a lot of work and exhausting. It’ll definitely take a few years to do Laughing

A rolling resto keeps up the motivation during the project when you can enjoy it a bit.

Aiden
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

Your paint looks good. Nice work. I love the idea of taking my bus down the the bare shell, prepping it and sending it to a shop for paint.

The reality is that it would probably end up being in pieces for years.

The rolling resto, paint in sections is probably the best way for me and results can still be quite good.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

Did an early morning paint sessions and the bumpers are finally done, I got a few runs but it laid down smooth

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

Some stupid bugs flew into what I painted yesterday Confused I thought it was cold enough they’d be gone for the season.

But today I got a lot of random things done. I found a good voltage regulator so that should fix the charging issues I was having.

I got a new muffler in. The old one I realized was rattling and had blown apart inside. I picked up a new cherry bomb and cut up the old one and welded up the parts to the new one. It turned out pretty good. I mocked up the rear bumper to get it all in the right spot.

I also got the bumpers scuffed and ready for paint tomorrow. I also worked on fixing a dent on the front end. Hopefully everything starts going back together soon.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

DocNexil wrote:
Awesome work. Love seeing the updates on this!

Thanks! I got a week left of updates on this before it goes dead for at least 4 months likely. I’ll have updates on the 71 though.

Yesterday I got the bumpers primed and then I put spot filler in the rear bumper. Today I got the rest of the rear bumper sanded down and then primed again. I also got the spots on the body painted.

DocNexil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

Awesome work. Love seeing the updates on this!
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

The last few days I kept working on preparing the bumpers. I wire wheeled them clean and then polished the last bit up with a flapper wheel. Then I got them a bit more into shape. After that I put some filler and sanded them down and they turned out nice, still need a little work though.

I also got the rear corner body work started and finished, it turned out really nice. It wasn’t too bad to start, I pounded it into shape, put some filler on and sanded.

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

Davy_B. wrote:
Bumper damage!! Shocked Laughing

Yeah… I was off-roading and I had been going through a bunch of puddles of water. This next one didn’t look big, didn’t think much of it. Went in with speed, instantly nose dived, then CRASH! And I kept moving and made it out. Turned out there was a huge rock under the water that was fairly deep.

Now it’s time to fix the bumpers. The back bumper was also fairly twisted up. The pictures don’t do justice. It had been used to yank the bus out of mud pits and was badly bent. I took that off, straightened it in the press and pressed the center dents out. Then I stuck it in a big vise and straightened the edges. It turned out great, I have to clean the bumper up and repaint it still. I also straightened out the dust/ gravel guard that runs along the bottom of the bumper as well as straightening the splash pans.

Then I did the same on the front bumper. That was extremely bad, it bent the brackets, the one was way outa wack. A side by side shows the one is off by 1/4 inch. I didn’t finish the front bumper yet but it’s 90% there. I got the brackets straightened and the bumper step parts straightened.

Davy_B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

Bumper damage!! Shocked Laughing
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

Thanks everyone! I just looked and saw the quote in there Abscate Laughing And that engine is still chugging along, though I think the alternator or starter is on its way out Crying or Very sad I have to do some more investigating. It barely cranks anymore and I just replaced the battery a week back because it tested bad. Thankfully there are enough hills up here I can almost always bump start it. Then just a little fall into winter photo dump

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
Ceckert64 wrote:
The current engine is still running good but I also found it under a tarp in the woods…

This is probably the best thing I've read on here in years.

Keep it going!
Robbie

Now memorialized in off-topic
Davy_B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

Nice to see you are having Fun! Sierra yellow for life! Laughing
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
The current engine is still running good but I also found it under a tarp in the woods…

This is probably the best thing I've read on here in years.

Keep it going!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 20

Jump to: