Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DocNexil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

Ah, a good beginning to a VW summer Very Happy
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

DocNexil wrote:
Ah, a good beginning to a VW summer Very Happy

Yeah, something like that Laughing Won’t be too much vw stuff this summer, I took
an internship in Florence South Carolina with Nucor Steel so I’m headed down there next Thursday with the bus and driving it down there so I wanted to get the transmission issue fixed before that and get everything in good shape for the trip down and so it will be “reliable” for the summer since it will be driven literally every day till the end of the internship. Should be a fun experience for the summer though and I’ll get to do a lot of exploring. But first the bus got to work Laughing

Anyways, today I dropped the engine and transmission, I wanted to replace the intake runner rubber tubes that connect to the intake air distributor as I think they were leaking a bit and old boots. I did that fast and had to align the runners with the IAD so they weren’t at weird angles and not seal as well. I also wanted to pop off the 3 rib to put the 6 rib on and I started cleaning up the 6 rib and getting it ready. I had to clean up the input shaft and the throw out bearing arm as it was sticky, still having some issues with the arm… I thought the three rib arm would be the same but it’s not after I got it apart Sad
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I also found wu it was running lean, my gasket blew out for the exhaust right before the sensor d'oh!

“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

I got the engine and trans back in, hooked up, and running after fighting a lot of different issues with the swap. Good news is that the transmission I put in seems good and it’s smooth. Definitely was a score, it shifts nice and makes no noise and doesn’t pop out of gear.

Today’s adventures included picking up the free bus, still en route back but I got it now Very Happy It’s a 1977 Poptop Westfalia with the stove option and an Automatic transmission. It is complete, looks like the engine was replaced shortly before it was parked but it’s rotted to death. The suspension is collapsing on itself, the left rear frame rail is completely gone and the torsion tube is about rotted through all the way around. But it was free so possibly good parts or one day find a donor chassis.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

After getting the new bus home, I took my bus in to get some summer tires that should have a little less friction, so less heat and increase MPG hopefully. Anyways I took it to belle tire and they managed to break my reverse lockout plate Mad I’m not surprised since I had to go show them how to put it in reverse and open the sliding door. I definitely like the old tires better but they will go back on in the fall when I go back up to tech

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

The best part of this thread has been watching a nice young kid turn into a great grown man.

Love from NY
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
The best part of this thread has been watching a nice young kid turn into a great grown man.

Love from NY

Thank you, I’ve definitely changed a lot in the last few years since this project started Laughing Definitely didn’t think I’d be spending a summer in South Carolina a year ago

The bus made it down to South Carolina fairly good, the starter crapped out on the trip but I wasn’t too surprised, it was the one on the transmission when I had gotten it. I was able to find one in stock on the route in Knoxville Tennessee and installed it in the parking lot. Besides that there were no other issues besides it getting hot on the hills.

It averaged 18 MPG on the trip which was decent for the speed and mountains, averaged around 65-70MPH and tried to keep CHT between 400-410 at highway speeds which seems a bit hot but not overly. I was surprised how well it did on the trip. I’ve put 1,600 ish miles on the bus in the last two weeks.

The new transmission has also been great, it’s never popped out of gear and it doesn’t make any bad noises so I’m pretty happy I did the swap.

Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Love from NY

X2 and more.

“Growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional” as said by Carroll Bryant

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

growing old was fun
being old sucks
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

Thanks guys, the last year has been a lot of fun growing and changing, a lot of things happened that I never would have thought.

Today I went to a VW show in North Carolina, it was a pretty nice show, I showed up late so I missed some of the cars but it was still pretty good. I met one guy that had even seen my thread on the bus and got to talk with him for a while which was pretty cool. He told me about some other VW stuff in the area that I’ll probably do this summer.

There were also quite a few Bays at the show, the pictures were taken near the end of the show so there were a lot less cars.

Then on the way back the engine started misfiring after a stop and would run bad between 60-75 and I had to go above or below that. I ended up figuring out that the connection to the resistor pack wasn’t all the way tight and once I pushed it back together it was fine but I drove about 45 minutes with that issue. Besides that the bus is still chugging along good. Took a break to eat dinner on the way back too.

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

Took a little trip to Charleston SC this weekend to visit a friend. Historic downtown Charleston is really cool, you can wander the streets for hours and there are so many cool old houses and buildings, especially once you get further from the touristy areas.

On the way there and back was a pretty drive on backroads

I also rolled the odometer to 1,2,3… however many hundred thousands of miles

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

I’m starting to get back to work on the bus, I changed the oil on the bus the other day and it was at 3000+ miles and looked cleaner than any other aircooled oil I’ve changed and it was clean looking.

I also started to embark on the rustoleum projects Laughing
I’m doing rims, wiper arms, bumpers, emblem, and front kick panels. I already got the kick panels and one bumper done. I know y’all sad to see the bumper repainted Laughing

I’m also working on replace wiper squirters, I also just had to replace a shock bolt, one came out and the other back out a bit and I have tightened them good but the keep coming out. It may be the wrong style washer? I also adjusted the drag link so the steering wheel isn’t crooked. I also got some NLA VW curtains installed that I got as a gift a while ago.
DocNexil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

Lookin' good Cool
Glad to hear that the bus is still serving you well, the work you've done on it has certainly been paying off!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

Nice!

Looks so good, you'll be inspired to do the rear, then the wiper arms, then the logo, then the…… Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

DocNexil wrote:
Lookin' good Cool
Glad to hear that the bus is still serving you well, the work you've done on it has certainly been paying off!

It certainly has paid off! I’m really surprised how well it’s been doing, it still always has some issue but nothing too major ever. I’ve been happy with my mystery engine that went in it

airschooled wrote:
Nice!

Looks so good, you'll be inspired to do the rear, then the wiper arms, then the logo, then the…… Laughing

Thanks! Yeah, slowly I’ll get to all that, I have a whole summer after work so I should get to it soon Very Happy

I just got back from a camping trip with my friend, we went to Table Rock State Park in South Carolina. I drove the bus there Friday after work and backpacked in at the park and spent the night. Hiked about 11 miles today yesterday and today. It was really pretty, saw and heard a few bears in and around the park. The bus trip was about 3.5 hours each way highway

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

This weekend I got all the rims sanded down and repainted. I also did the electrical box and the spare along with some touch ups.

I also caulked the top edge of the windshield seal and rear vent window. The windshield seal had a gap between it and the body in the upper right corner that was bad and leaked. I masked the edges and put some in. Hopefully they won’t leak anymore

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

Figured I’d post up some pictures from my weekend warrior trips, this weekend was to Charleston and checked out beach since it was super hot. I also bombed the bus to Atlanta last weekend to meet up with a friend to go white water rafting. Somehow the bus is still alive Laughing

Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

Having fun in your bus rolling around, tinkering, meeting up with friends, making new friends, road trips, and camping equals winning. Well done. Applause

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Nicholas D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

Great thread, I've really enjoyed following along. If you make it back down to Charleston and feel so inclined give me a shout. It'd be great to meet another Sambanite in "real" life. Those cobbles on Chalmers Street will certainly give you an honest evaluation of your suspension!
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

Thank you guys!

This weekend was more of tinkering. I went to move a Fuel injection relay in the engine compartment and ended up replacing CV boots Laughing

I moved the coil and relay and added a clamp on the paper accordion tube for the heat since it kept falling off. Then I remembered that a clamp in another part of the system needed a bolt and it was the end of the heater box going up to the flapper. I got down there and found both of my boots on that side were destroyed and ripped open. When I had last checked they were fine, the rubber looked cracked but nothing all the way through or leaking. So I had already bought some Tiguan boots and had them in the bus so I went to replacing them. The last Tiguan boot I got was a soft rubber, more like the original style, I’m not sure it had a vw part number on it. The ones I more recently got were a hard, more plastic like rubber, but they for sure were genuine vw. So I cleaned everything up, regreased and reassembled. What was interesting was the Tiguan boots included the dished washer they say to get rid of. But everything went very smoothly. Then I tinkered on my other projects

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

Figure I’d post a small update, the bus somehow has been problem free for the most part for the last few months. I had the coil bracket break and the coil fall off and that’s it.

The bus made it back from South Carolina by some miracle with no issues. I cut up a 73 down there to fix the 77 and brought everything back in the bus. Frame rails, front beam, engines, transmission, and a bunch more. I weighed it on the scales at work and I had 1,700lbs of parts in it. It was packed with all my stuff. It went floor to shoved against the ceiling from the trunk the the back edge of the front seats. It made it up the smoky mountains even, it slowed down to 33mph in 2nd gear at one point on the highway Shocked but I could cruise 70 on the flats no problem. That trip was about 1,000 miles fully loaded down and all highways and it averaged 17mpg The picture of the inside of the bus is partially unloaded

Then it came back up to school with me so I took the rims off the 77 and threw the mudders back on. I also washed it and it made the 500 miles up only breaking the coil bracket. Sadly the mudders hurt mpg and I’m getting about 14 with them, but that may not be a great average. Then I got to go off roading and camping with it again, same spot as last year but I’ll probably try out a new spot this weekend.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 18 of 20

Jump to: