Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help with a Van Purchase Today!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ellioup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: Help with a Van Purchase Today! Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I am new to Vanagons and want to be sure about a purchase I'm about to make. Please dm so we can talk on the phone.

I need some assurance as I'm about to drive 10 hours to go pick this car up.

Here is what I know
- Subaru 2.5 from a 2002 outback with 105k miles on it
- Needs new AC blowers
- Needs new fuel tank
- Title says Rebuilt Salvage, Loss unknown, Bonded Title (Does this just mean it was in an accident and that it has a new engine?)

Offer is 12k but want to make sure it's legit.
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Help with a Van Purchase Today! Reply with quote

More info would be helpful:

-- photos or videos?

-- tintop or Westy?

A salvage title in some states will mean that you will have to have the authorities perform an inspection. Here in CA that means that there can be no cracks in ANY glass, no cracked or broken plastic on any lights or lenses and a host of other requirements like all the lights and blinkers working, horn, etc.

A salvage title could mean anything - including that someone got the van cheap after it was totaled and is attempting a fast buck.

Did you ask the seller about the title?

If you have the VIN, run a CarFax.

If it were me, I would request a photo of the title and close-up photos of the VIN tag on the dash along with the hidden VIN under the vehicle. If this is a junkyard gem, someone could get creative with the VIN on the dash which could also mean that it is stolen.

Don't mean to frighten you, but I would approach this one with red flags until proven otherwise. Good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Help with a Van Purchase Today! Reply with quote

Google rebuilt salvage bonded title.
The van was likely totaled by the insurance and it went to auction. The type and extent of the damage prior to the repairs done should be scrutinized.
Some people don't worry about miles and title type but I will or won't consider even looking at a vehicle just based on that simple info.
Ellioup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with a Van Purchase Today! Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2401905
Ellioup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with a Van Purchase Today! Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Carfax^
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with a Van Purchase Today! Reply with quote

Personally I would avoid it. It will never have the value of a non totaled one. If it were local and it could be completely inspected, then maybe. Needs fuel tank? $225 parts and labor. Who sells a van that needs a tank, when it’s one of the more reasonable repairs. Pass
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with a Van Purchase Today! Reply with quote

If your looking at long term ownership for your enjoyment. I wouldent worry to much about the branded title. Texas and a weekender mean there's probably no rust, make sure. I love the new engine and trans great combo. Who did the conversion and are there receipts? Looks strait and fairly clean, does he have the rear facing jump seats. still lots to do but in my opinion a great place to start. It's your money so it's your call, but I'd go for it! Good luck Mark
Ellioup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with a Van Purchase Today! Reply with quote

Doesn’t have the seats and asked about the engine. Any idea if it will be good for awhile? A 2002 engine with 100k isn’t “straight out of the box”

Wish it was closer. How much would an AC blower fix cost?
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with a Van Purchase Today! Reply with quote

Unfortunately there is no way we can predict how reliable this bus will be for you without doing an extensive PPI. Pre Purchase Inspection. Since you are not familiar with these busses I’d ask if anyone knows a reliable mechanic in the area that can do a PPI for you. (Do not ask the seller). Be prepared to spend up to $500.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with a Van Purchase Today! Reply with quote

12K is a lot for a salvage vehicle that needs work out of the box. Ask for pics of damage.
That's a a 5K van. Judging form your description it is a Multivan. I may have a different opinion if I documented proof of what happened to the van. Save yourself some grief and buy a decent van.
Who made the declaration of whats broken? Most likely those are just the glaring issues, with many more surprises down the path.

Tread lightly Grasshopper

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with a Van Purchase Today! Reply with quote

It all depends on sellers meaning of rebuilt. If it's really fully rebuilt it should be good for at least a 100.000 miles. Did he improve the cooling system , like new radiator maybe SS water lines. The gas tank is a fairly easy fix, so odd it was not done. It should be replaced before you try to drive it home. Is it clogging up with rust if so, that's are red flag to look for rust elsewhere.Remember these van require regular infusions of cash and it is just the beginning. Once again I wish you best of luck.
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with a Van Purchase Today! Reply with quote

vino de vano wrote:
Looks strait and fairly clean,

Did you read the first post? Look at the CarFax? It has a salvage title - which, by the way, the seller's CL ad neglects to mention. HUUUUUGE red flag right there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with a Van Purchase Today! Reply with quote

Why does it have a customs note from 1995? Is this a "grey-market" van?

Take a look at this link and see if your VIN compares to a US sold van. A US van will have a 25 model #. Anything else is an import

https://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=110
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with a Van Purchase Today! Reply with quote

I own a car with salvage title it was a theft recovery, no accident damage. We will drive it tell it or we are done. I agree a PPI is in order to make an informed decision.
Ellioup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with a Van Purchase Today! Reply with quote

Does anyone know any Samba members in the San Antonio area that can take a look for me? I’ll pay like $50-100 just to get a look at it.

I’m passing for today. Too late in the day to drive and I’m sort of skeptical. I hardly know manual and to drive 10 hours on it with a needed fuel tank doesn’t make me feel great (and no AC)

He said there is some rust where an accident happened on the driver side and the paint job to cover it was bad. And a little on the passenger side as well.

Also confused. It says it’s from Texas in 1990. But then exported here to Florida in 1995? I don’t really understand the carfax report

He put the engine in himself. If someone checks it out I’m hoping to go in the coming days. These things go fast so it’s a balance between acting fast and making sure you have the right info :/

Thanks for all the help though, you all rule
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with a Van Purchase Today! Reply with quote

16CVs wrote:
12K is a lot for a salvage vehicle that needs work out of the box. Ask for pics of damage.
That's a a 5K van.

No, it's not a 5,000 van, but there are questions.
It seems to have a subagears 5 speed.
I'm Not too knowledgeable about those, but I believe I've read of issues with the early versions. Is that right or was I just reading about the rare occurrence?

Guess I'd want to know about that, also it has the skirting all around which looks nice, but it hides the body seams which I'd kinda like to know if it's hiding rust.

Certainly looks nice, is it the original paint or a respray.

So many questions.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2401905
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with a Van Purchase Today! Reply with quote

Ellioup, what's your timeline and budget for buying a van? If you have three months you may be able to test drive a few and get to know them a bit better. Also, you may find one closer to home.

Worthless datapoint: I bought my first Vanagon in Albuquerque in 1997. It was clean and 100% rust free.

Here's hoping a good one comes your way soon.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Ellioup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with a Van Purchase Today! Reply with quote

Thanks, yea hoping for a close one. Open to Vanagon or Eurovan, max 12k budget. Would like to get one in a couple weeks but every time we find one it’s hard to get a response back, and if we do. It’s sold.

Seen some around Denver but hard to justify a trip just to go see one. A couple around here but high $$.
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with a Van Purchase Today! Reply with quote

Is 12k your max? Make sure you save some cash for repair budgets. These are not cheap vehicles to keep on the road.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with a Van Purchase Today! Reply with quote

In your budget you need 2k if travel and PPi unless you can do this yourself. That leaves 10k , ok for a tin top, too low for a WESTIE which are twice that
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: