Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"There she dribbles...."
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: "There she dribbles...." Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
If you drive it to work, you can’t park in the same space everyday.

When I go to the Volvo dealer to pick up my 30% discounted parts, I park it over the O and fill in the middle with oil
75 Westy FI noob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: "There she dribbles...." Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
No sweat on any oil pumps over here, but my main seal likes to puke if I fill more than half a quart over full… Robbie

My oil pump may be leaking.. hard to tell bc its all covered in grease. My parts guy is unsure which gasket goes on the pump. Is it ‘same as the beetle’ as he says ? your comment about the main seal makes me think I might leave mine alone and just try not to overfill.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: "There she dribbles...." Reply with quote

The problem with that area is it was right by the fan. Whatever leaked was blown all over everything here.

Clean it all really well and add a little UV dye to the oil. When it's up and running again, get your UV light out and trace it's source/s.

There's quite a bit of oil up on top, so it could be breather, oil pressure sender, there's so many potential sources. Clean it all really well. While in this area considering tossing the 009 and getting a proper vacuum advance distributor.

Cool
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: "There she dribbles...." Reply with quote

airkooledchris wrote:
The problem with that area is it was right by the fan. Whatever leaked was blown all over everything here.

Clean it all really well and add a little UV dye to the oil. When it's up and running again, get your UV light out and trace it's source/s.

There's quite a bit of oil up on top, so it could be breather, oil pressure sender, there's so many potential sources. Clean it all really well. While in this area considering tossing the 009 and getting a proper vacuum advance distributor.

Cool

I was thinking the same that Chris said. The only thing I can add is look INSIDE the shroud and see if oil is slung all around it. If so it could be the front seal. Or it could be a bad o-ring on the distributor, or a bad oil sender like Chris said. I would have cleaned it first really well with some solvent and a pressure washer, and looked for the leak trail.
75 Westy FI noob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: "There she dribbles...." Reply with quote

Oil cooler seals were def bad..
All the other bits may be too.

That pic is after a jumbo can of PB Degreaser.
It all looked like the bottom before. Ran out of spray before i got to the oil pump. Filter housing was really caked

Cant run it to check for leaks without the shroud tho.. bc the timing is off.
(Rookie mistake #37)

Figured i would change all the seals/gaskets and pressure switch while im in.

Trying to source oil pump gasket.

Good idea about the Dist. Mechanic switched it on me years ago. May upgrade to original one day.

Last edited by 75 Westy FI noob on Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
75 Westy FI noob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: "There she dribbles...." Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

The only thing I can add is look INSIDE the shroud and see if oil is slung all around it. If so it could be the front seal.

I will check inside the shroud and see.
I think its mostly on the back/outside of the shroud.
75 Westy FI noob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: "There she dribbles...." Reply with quote

Notice Alternator is still connected… I couldn’t get that adjuster bolt to budge.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: "There she dribbles...." Reply with quote

Quote:
75 Westy FI noob -> Trying to source oil pump gasket.

Autohaus AZ 111-115-111B Engine Oil Pump Gasket. Good quality. I just used one the other day. Better than the VR kit one. A little thicker but not significantly so. Now let me share a bit of advice. Leave the oil pump alone. Period. Just retorque the nuts if you think they are loose. There are a plethora of threads on this forum where people broke the ears off their T4 pumps and destroyed them trying to get them out, only to find they would not budge. By the time they loosened the bolts above and below the pump and got the pump out, they not only had destroyed their NLA oil pump, but also had a case seam leak to deal with.
75 Westy FI noob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: "There she dribbles...." Reply with quote

I will take that advice. Thanks !!
75 Westy FI noob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: "There she dribbles...." Reply with quote

I left the oil pump alone…

Changed the main seal there, hopefully reseated the flange well enough but not sure how deep it seats. Mine had no ‘fan hub sealing ring’. Are they in some engines but not others ?

But, mainly im here to ask how to extract the post of the oil pressure sender.
Whats the standard approach for this ..? im rattled.

Anyone have the number for the Canadian assisted suicide pod? may need.

Last edited by 75 Westy FI noob on Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: "There she dribbles...." Reply with quote

always a dangerous situation but it doesn't take a lot of torque. Most likely that was your leak. A QUALITY easy out would be my choice but go gently. You might mount the old sender in a vise and twist on it a little to be sure the easy out doesn't easily shatter. Sometimes they can be junk.

Some extractors are made for thin wall and soft materials.

https://www.mcmaster.com/easy-out-extractors/extractors-for-soft-materials-and-thin-walled-parts-6/

You don't want to drill the fitting because debris can get in the oil. Use an extractor that fits the hole already in the sender.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: "There she dribbles...." Reply with quote

The hole in the center is pretty small, so will take a very small extractor. If it isn't tighter than it should be it should unscrew, but if really tight it may not yield before a small extractor breaks. Assuming this is a Type 4 you might be able to rig up a way to apply air pressure to the case from the nipple for the oil filter so you could blow the drillings up out of the hole if you need to drill it larger. Use the utmost care here as anything that gets into the galleys is going to be destructive.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: "There she dribbles...." Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyone have the number for the Canadian assisted suicide pod? may need.

1-800-Maple-Leafs
75 Westy FI noob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: "There she dribbles...." Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback.. I expected recommendations to weld a tap to it.. but prob impossible due to location and material. I’ll try an easy out, maybe order one for soft material if i can find the patience. lol

shroud is off, so i had access with a wrench… it wouldn’t move, so i tapped the wrench (gently) with a hammer. I advise others to not do that. : ))

How about the fan seal ring? ( least of my worries here …)
Mine didn’t have one.. i guess i have time to order one now.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: "There she dribbles...." Reply with quote

if you mean #4, look carefully on the crankshaft and on the hub. They hid. If it truly was missing that would be a bad leak.
75 Westy FI noob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: "There she dribbles...." Reply with quote

Yes, didnt see that ring. i cleaned the flange and the hub.. didn’t see it. Maybe its buried in the base of the flange, or the seal? Does it fit in that little channel at the base of the flange? Bentley does not mention it in the text, but obv shows it in diagram.

Adding disaster pic below for folks who enjoy horror movies.

75 Westy FI noob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: "There she dribbles...." Reply with quote

Im going to soak it in PB Blaster for two weeks, practice the old one (good idea), order the tool, and then put a torch on the case beside it before I turn it.

Hopefully it will move. There can’t be much thread in there.. 1/4-3/8” based on the new one. the new one has a much thinner nut. not positive its right.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: "There she dribbles...." Reply with quote

75 Westy FI noob wrote:
Does it fit in that little channel at the base of the flange?

Yes, inner edge of the flat part of the flange that faces the crank, there's a step the ring sits in (or should).

Not much I can add regarding the sender remnants, as WT's suggests if drilling is required some compressed air into another opening in the system will blow chips away. Or pump a bunch of grease down the hole with a needle fitting on a grease gun and fill it up solid, then suck out the contaminated grease after with a shop vac, the residual won't cause issues later.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: "There she dribbles...." Reply with quote

type 4 is 10mm straight fine thread I think unless someone has screwed something else in it.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: "There she dribbles...." Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
type 4 is 10mm straight fine thread I think unless someone has screwed something else in it.

The Type 4 is a 10 x 1mm tapered pipe thread, a Type 1 is a straight thread that requires a gasket.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: