Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ghia Trunk cable - knob will not budge!
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
russelltatedotcom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:16 am    Post subject: Ghia Trunk cable - knob will not budge! Reply with quote

Hi Guys, I searched for this problem already but could not find an answer, if anybody can shed some light i'd be grateful.

The trunk release mechanism seems to be frozen on my Ghia. Not at the latch end but at the knob end behind the drivers door, it just will not move?
I've tried WD40 a few times and tapped it with a hammer, but did not want to go too mad as I might break the original white release knob.

Luckily the trunk is frozen open no closed and the latch does move OK if you push it with your finger

Does anybody have ideas on how I can free the mechanism up?
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Trunk cable - knob will not budge! Reply with quote

I’m suspecting rust. Where the knob enters there is a steel sleeve held on by two screws. The cable itself runs through a plastic tube.
Disconnect the cable from the latch at the rear and see if you can rotate the knob. Pull the 1/4 panel and the back seat and look at the assembly. If you can get to the screws you should be able to pull the whole thing out.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Trunk cable - knob will not budge! Reply with quote

russelltatedotcom wrote:

The trunk release mechanism seems to be frozen on my Ghia. Not at the latch end but at the knob end behind the drivers door, it just will not move?

I originally thought you were asking about the "Front" trunk!. Just to avoid confusion, you are referring to the Deck Lid, or Engine Lid release. Smile

There is some very detailed information on the deck lid release and how it works on Page 2 (5-13-0Cool of this thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=20

Here is another very helpful thread on the Deck Lid Release.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...e+is+broke

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
russelltatedotcom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Trunk cable - knob will not budge! Reply with quote

Sorry deck lid (rear)
russelltatedotcom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Trunk cable - knob will not budge! Reply with quote

Here's the funny thing there are no screws or bolts around the knob, How do get the cable/shaft OUT to replace?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Trunk cable - knob will not budge! Reply with quote

Judging by your mirrors we are talking about a '66 or a '67?

My car is a '66 and the way I removed that pull wire involved disconnecting it from the striker and giving it a heave. Out she came.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Trunk cable - knob will not budge! Reply with quote

russelltatedotcom wrote:
Here's the funny thing there are no screws or bolts around the knob, How do get the cable/shaft OUT to replace?

The knob is attached to the cable. When you buy a new cable it comes with a new knob on it.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
russelltatedotcom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Trunk cable - knob will not budge! Reply with quote

thanks I;m just not sure if it's going to budge, released or attached to the lack at the deck lid.
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Trunk cable - knob will not budge! Reply with quote

The place it's most likely stuck is in the sheath right behind the knob.
Have you tried a prybar and a BFH?

It's possible you may just have to sacrifice this one to the Ghia gods, and buy a new cable.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steelz21
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Trunk cable - knob will not budge! Reply with quote

I had the same problem.
I sprayed Fluid Film down the cable and forced it through with compressed air. I did this at both ends and it’s slick operating now.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Trunk cable - knob will not budge! Reply with quote

when the cable breaks the rear engine lid will lift
VW Wiring = It's just wires
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: