Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need help please... grandfather / grandson project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Need help please... grandfather / grandson project Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:

To rayjay, to build your own Burro is not so terribly tough. There is a guy in central California who builds new copies. The brochure pictures show you enough about the frame design to imitate it quite well. One thing I would change is building it basically in 1.5" x .095 wall round tube instead of in 1" x .065 wall square tube. Some of the tubes would go away, some would be added or changed a little. But the overall look would be the same.

A dirt midget chassis I built. Stillborn unfortunately. Never moved under it's own power due to a lot of reasons.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
VW Bobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Need help please... grandfather / grandson project Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Says on page 2 of the brochure that the approximate weight of the Burro is 950lbs for the 2 seat and about 1200lbs for the 4 seat

Thanks Richard
VW Bobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Need help please... grandfather / grandson project Reply with quote

rayjay wrote:
A dirt midget chassis I built. Stillborn unfortunately. Never moved under it's own power due to a lot of reasons.

Nice fabwork rayjay
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Need help please... grandfather / grandson project Reply with quote

VW Bobby wrote:
rayjay wrote:

Nice fabwork rayjay

Thanks !! The fab work was just the normal tedious handwork. The hard part was wrapping my head around dirt car steering geometry. Countersteering brings in a whole new set of geometry requirements. A buddy had bought a late 60's Edmonds clone midget with a Chevy II 4 cyl motor. I got to drive it a few times and it was the most fun I had ever had so I started building my own but before I could get it finished we lost the track we were going to for "play racing".
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help please... grandfather / grandson project Reply with quote

I've built some open wheel circle cars in my time too. Including at one time, my friend and I were supposed to built Edmunds midget frames under contract to the then new owners. We had built jigs, then the deal fell apart. I also did a LOT of work on vintage sprints and midgets. Back in the 1940s, while still in high school, my dad owned and drove a Kurtis Offy in the LA area. A couple of the vintage midgets I've worked on restorations of have been displayed in the Petersen Museum.

So I GET your midget project.

To show pics, (which, NOT being VW pics I'm not going to upload to the Samba Gallery) I'll need to hook up with a new photo sharing site. I've not been hooked up with one since the great Phototoilet bollux of a few years ago.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help please... grandfather / grandson project Reply with quote

I been using flickr for years for photo hosting.... Don't know if they still offer free hosting or not as I have not looked at their site rules....

https://www.flickr.com/

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help please... grandfather / grandson project Reply with quote

I used to use Flickr. Now Flickr says "who?"

I used to use Fotki. Now Fotki says ""Member not found".

Imgur says "your email is not verified, we've sent you an email to verify", but they don't send it to me. When I go to "Passwords and Email" in 'Settings', it show my proper email. But they're not sending any emails to me.

Photobucket says "Welcome to the NEW photobucket! " "Your Account doesn't have image sharing privileges. Upgrade to our new...account and start sharing!" But there was no link to how to upgrade and they weren't saying how much it would cost to upgrade. They can still piss off.

... etc., etc., etc. ...

I have a total of 15 logins to various photo sharing sites from back in the day. Many do not exist anymore, like KodakPhotoGallery. None of them are functioning for me anymore. Although I've not left them. They've changed in the interest of MORE MONEY!!!!. So much for "Upload your photos to our site and NEVER have to worry about them being lost or damaged". I was always suspicious that what they offered was way too good to actually be true for the long term. A more accurate statement would have been "Upload your photos to our site for free now so we can hold them for ransom later!" I wasn't expecting a free lunch in the 1st place, but to tell me it's "free", then later to demand money, makes it a hostage situation. And the entire deal a fraudulent con game. Evil or Very Mad
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Need help please... grandfather / grandson project Reply with quote

The track we were using started out as a horse track in the late 60s. Then they put a high banked 3/8s oval in the infield in about 71-72. I have some Super 8 film of a MX race there in 71/72. I don't think they ever raced cars there. When I worked at a Kaw dealer in 73 > 76 one of the other mechs built a 175cc flattracker and we raced it there.

Fast forward to 89 > 91 and the owners were letting the motorcycle guys have practice days there and we started taking the local "vintage" dirt midgets there to run in between the motorcycle sessions. Several V8-60s, a genuine Kurtis Kraft Offy, a "NOS" late 30's stock block "Big Car" with a period inline 6, John's Edmonds that he and I drove. Later some 1000+cc motorcycle engined winged mini-sprints started coming out along with some dwarf cars.

Before I could get my car finished the two brothers that owned the track had a falling out and stopped the practice days. Now my project had no place to be run. That's life.

ETA, Here is a pic of John's Edmonds clone when he first bought it and didn't yet have a trailer.

rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Need help please... grandfather / grandson project Reply with quote

Dusty, I did bring some roadracing ideas to my midget build. On sprints and midgets bump steer is a problem. I addressed this in my design. The mount for the rear rod end of the radius rods was just a few inches from the drag link's rear rod end.

VW Bobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help please... grandfather / grandson project Reply with quote

You guys have been at it a long time, nice work and thanks for posting folks!

Just an update on our build. Still looking for an engine but parts are starting to arrive and we have most of the stuff needed to re-wire the buggy. We are using the GPS speedo instead of the one pictured.

Hydraulic hoses and hard brake line kit are on order. The master cylinder arrived damaged, re-ordered a new one today.

Safety chains and 4-way flat extension ordered for the tow bar. Having a blast with the kids on this project!

VW Bobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Need help please... grandfather / grandson project Reply with quote

Can someone post up some pics or a link to some nostalgic style graphics / emblems that was used on Burro buggies back in the day?

Thanks
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Need help please... grandfather / grandson project Reply with quote

Period correct would be rattle can flat OD or something Smile If you want to go high brow you could use gloss.
VW Bobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help please... grandfather / grandson project Reply with quote

rayjay wrote:
Period correct would be rattle can flat OD or something Smile If you want to go high brow you could use gloss.

The grandkids were thinking more of just some period correct style emblems that Burro may have offered, or what others would use during that time period, race numbers, etc...

They want to leave the metal polished but cover up some of it. It's hard to look at on a sunny day due to the glare.

We used truck bed coating on the inside. The sun reflecting off the aluminum makes for a really hot interior without it.
VW Bobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Need help please... grandfather / grandson project Reply with quote

The EMPI Baja side bars fit with some modification. The horizontal cross bars were cut and a 3” section of ¾” pipe was placed in the back and a 3 ¼" piece in the middle. If I had it to do over again, I would design my own out of larger round tube.

Making some progress on the wiring, turn signal, bluetooth speedo and speakers, dash, etc...

VW Bobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help please... grandfather / grandson project Reply with quote

Hi folks,

The dash work is coming along and is looking pretty good to me.

Anyone in central Oklahoma want to rebuild a motor...

VW Bobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Need help please... grandfather / grandson project Reply with quote

Yea!!!

We found someone to put in a new motor. He's also the president of the Oklahoma VW Club.

The grandchildren and I are excited to see it run.
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Need help please... grandfather / grandson project Reply with quote

You were asking about period graphics and I finally realzied what that would be. Old school pinstriping. In the day it would have been hand painted but you and the grandkids could use pinstriping tape and do any design you want.

VW Bobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Need help please... grandfather / grandson project Reply with quote

rayjay wrote:
You were asking about period graphics and I finally realzied what that would be. Old school pinstriping. In the day it would have been hand painted but you and the grandkids could use pinstriping tape and do any design you want.

Didn't think about pinstripes, I like that idea. Thank you!
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help please... grandfather / grandson project Reply with quote

The only other Burro "graphics" in the day when Burros were being built and sold, were MAYBE the Burro logo you see on the brochure, old school EMPI and other VW performance stickers, or the Orange County Burro Club sticker. I have seen some pinstriping on Burros. But not a whole lot. They were cars for tearing around offroad, not intended to be show cars. And paint "graphics" was a 1980s thing, well after the heyday of Burros. I never saw a Burro with polished body panels until this side of 2000. The aluminum (if added to the bare frame) was typically just plain aluminum, or painted in a solid color (not metallic or metal flake or pearlescent). So for "authentic"... modest pinstriping maybe.

For the nerf bars, I consider them a good idea. But to attach burly strong "tree bars" on a frame made of 1" x .065 wall tubing just REALLY does NOT make sense to me. Even the 1.5" x .095 wall tube of the ones you put on will transfer any hit into damage to the frame itself when the bars should be sacrificial pieces that prevent any damage to the main frame and thus should not be as strong as the frame.
SoCalBajas Member
VW Bobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help please... grandfather / grandson project Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
The only other Burro "graphics" in the day when Burros were being built and sold, were MAYBE the Burro logo you see on the brochure, old school EMPI and other VW performance stickers, or the Orange County Burro Club sticker. I have seen some pinstriping on Burros. But not a whole lot. They were cars for tearing around offroad, not intended to be show cars. And paint "graphics" was a 1980s thing, well after the heyday of Burros. I never saw a Burro with polished body panels until this side of 2000. The aluminum (if added to the bare frame) was typically just plain aluminum, or painted in a solid color (not metallic or metal flake or pearlescent). So for "authentic"... modest pinstriping maybe.

For the nerf bars, I consider them a good idea. But to attach burly strong "tree bars" on a frame made of 1" x .065 wall tubing just REALLY does NOT make sense to me. Even the 1.5" x .095 wall tube of the ones you put on will transfer any hit into damage to the frame itself when the bars should be sacrificial pieces that prevent any damage to the main frame and thus should not be as strong as the frame.

A Burro logo would be really nice to put on it.

I didn't think about side bars that would be too stout for the frame, thanks.

We plan to put expanded metal on the ones we have to allow some space to strap some small items.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: