Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need help please... grandfather / grandson project
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW Bobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:30 am    Post subject: Need help please... grandfather / grandson project Reply with quote

My grandsons and I have a DIY dune buggy that was built in the early sixties by an uncle of mine. The buggy was purchased by another Uncle and it has been in his possession since the late sixties.

The original motor was removed and replaced by one that appears to be from 1973. Although we are not sure about that.

We have placed Marvel Mystery Oil in the carb and cylinders and it is still locked up. Does anyone know someone that can rebuild the motor in Oklahoma or have one for sale?

The buggy was chain hoisted up into the barn rafters for over twenty years now when my grandsons and I went to pick it up. I remember helping my uncle deliver newspapers out of this buggy when I was a young kid. Fun indeed!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Need help please... grandfather / grandson project Reply with quote

Wow, great build and wonderful history....

IF you have rudimentary knowledge of how motors work and a have a few metric wrenches, get the book "How to Rebuild Your Volkswagen Air-Cooled Engine", by Tom Wilson, HP Books, and have a go at it... Its about the simplest engine one can ever work on... Only thing simpler is the Briggs & Stratton on a lawn mower...

Since it's been stored in side, it probably only has a slight bit of rust film in cylinders, keep up with the mystery oil or Kroil or PB Blaster and keep tying to turn it, if you can get it to move a little you might possibly free it up to a point where it will at least run... Biggest danger may be breaking piston rings, so be gentile but firm...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
VW Bobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Need help please... grandfather / grandson project Reply with quote

Thank you, much appreciated!

Our engine and transmission knowledge are basic. We try and do everything else ourselves but engine / trans overhauls have been farmed out, or we received help from others. It’s probably about time we learned how to do it.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help please... grandfather / grandson project Reply with quote

Another resourse written in more comical style may be thios...

"How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive". By John Muir

A bit comical but accurate enough...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help please... grandfather / grandson project Reply with quote

Clubs in ok. Somebody puts them together.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/clubs/index.php
VW Bobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help please... grandfather / grandson project Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
Another resourse written in more comical style may be thios...

"How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive". By John Muir

A bit comical but accurate enough...

Dale

Thanks Dale
VW Bobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help please... grandfather / grandson project Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:
Clubs in ok. Somebody puts them together.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/clubs/index.php

My son joined a facebook VW group and he's found a few leads for us to check out.

I'll do the search as well, thanks.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help please... grandfather / grandson project Reply with quote

That's a really neat buggy. It has elements of the "Chimp" Buggy by Scott McKenzie, the EMPI Sportster, the PepperTree Automotive "Rivets" and Mountain Goat, and the Burro buggy. All were built in the late 50s (Chimp) up through the mid 60s and all were fine buggies.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help please... grandfather / grandson project Reply with quote

Looking at it closer, I am inclined to say that is probably a "Burro" with certain features like the flying fenders and the rear cargo shelf being personalization from how Tiny Thompson built them.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help please... grandfather / grandson project Reply with quote

I see mechanical steering brake levers which is cool old school Smile
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help please... grandfather / grandson project Reply with quote

The 1" square tube frame with a 2" round tube roll bar that is wider at the top say distinctly "Burro". Such things might be copied. But not probable.
SoCalBajas Member
VW Bobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help please... grandfather / grandson project Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
That's a really neat buggy. It has elements of the "Chimp" Buggy by Scott McKenzie, the EMPI Sportster, the PepperTree Automotive "Rivets" and Mountain Goat, and the Burro buggy. All were built in the late 50s (Chimp) up through the mid 60s and all were fine buggies.

Thanks, my grandkids like the old style look of it.

Added some LED brake/turn/signal lights, spot lights, and modified some Baja Side Bars to fit today. Really enjoying the build.

Purchased a universal street rod fuse panel and wiring, and a marine 6 switch control panel to run light bars, spot lights, floor lighting, etc.. We plan to start the re-wire job on Friday.

Last edited by VW Bobby on Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
VW Bobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help please... grandfather / grandson project Reply with quote

rayjay wrote:
I see mechanical steering brake levers which is cool old school Smile

Can't wait to get it running again. My Uncle got fired for using the cutting brakes while we were delivering papers on his route. Noboday was on the streets that early of a morning so he used the cutting brakes quite often. I guess someone in the neighborhood didn't much care for it and turned us in, lol.

Last edited by VW Bobby on Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:31 am; edited 1 time in total
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Need help please... grandfather / grandson project Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
The 1" square tube frame with a 2" round tube roll bar that is wider at the top say distinctly "Burro". Such things might be copied. But not probable.

I think you are right. The treatment of the upper side bars at the rear is distinctly Burro. Burro's are my favorite VW based vehicle and if it wasn't such a pita to get one insured and registered in GA that is probably what I would have today.

There is lots of Burro info on the net. There is also a short yt vid with a walk around of an original Burro.

rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Need help please... grandfather / grandson project Reply with quote

Here is the vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByizEhvlgFE
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Need help please... grandfather / grandson project Reply with quote

I regret not buying this that was about 50 miles away but resisting was probably for the best Sad

VW Bobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Need help please... grandfather / grandson project Reply with quote

rayjay wrote:
dustymojave wrote:

I think you are right. The treatment of the upper side bars at the rear is distinctly Burro. Burro's are my favorite VW based vehicle and if it wasn't such a pita to get one insured and registered in GA that is probably what I would have today.

There is lots of Burro info on the net. There is also a short yt vid with a walk around of an original Burro.

That's awesome, thanks for posting! The buggy frame looks exactly like the one in the pic.

The uncle of mine who put the buggy together lived in California and made his living as a machinist. The other uncle we got the buggy from says it’s titled as a 1957. Although, we haven’t found the title yet amongst all of his other projects he has accumulated over many years.

We are new to VW’s but what I’ve read the 1957 and older wheel cylinders are placed on the bottom while 1958 and up are on the top. Rebuilding the brake system is next up on our list so we’ll find out pretty soon.

Here’s the modified tow bar and the Baja side bars.

Mirrors

rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Need help please... grandfather / grandson project Reply with quote

I would take a body hammer with a pointy tip and tap tap along the bottom of the various frame members to see if there is any substantial corrosion that needs to be dealt with.
liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Need help please... grandfather / grandson project Reply with quote

rayjay wrote:
I would take a body hammer with a pointy tip and tap tap along the bottom of the various frame members to see if there is any substantial corrosion that needs to be dealt with.

Drill the frame for thickness!
VW Bobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Need help please... grandfather / grandson project Reply with quote

rayjay wrote:

liquidrush wrote:
Drill the frame for thickness!

So far so good with the buggy frame. We have drilled holes in the tubing for seats, side bars, cable clamps, etc... and it seems to be solid.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: