Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

36hp Riechert dual carb - options on distributor
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tall Bloke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:25 am    Post subject: 36hp Riechert dual carb - options on distributor Reply with quote

I am in the process of getting the Riechert dual carb set up ( 28 pci )and wanted to know which was the better option I have.

I currently have the original Bosch VJU4BR8 - should I keep this and run the vacuum line to one of the carbs (or both using a Tee piece) or use an existing old Bosch 009 distributor (Made in Germany) and block the vacuum lines to the carbs.

I am seeing that the most popular route would be use the 010, but this would be further down the road once funds allow.

Thanks
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp Riechert dual carb - options on distributor Reply with quote

Tall Bloke wrote:
I am seeing that the most popular route would be use the 010, but this would be further down the road once funds allow.

Thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp Riechert dual carb - options on distributor Reply with quote

I have heard that running a VJU4 BR8 without vacuum will act like a VJ4 BR8, that later was Superceeded by the 019.
The 019 should be a better choice than a 009.
Glenn know this better than me 🙂

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp Riechert dual carb - options on distributor Reply with quote

It is true the mechanical curve of the VJU4BR8 is the same as a VJ4BR8 (019).

I'd still get a 010 when you have the spare cash.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tall Bloke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp Riechert dual carb - options on distributor Reply with quote

In response, confirming as an interim solution , the original distributor without vacuum advance is preferable to using the 009 until the 010 is available.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp Riechert dual carb - options on distributor Reply with quote

Yes. if you are interested in vintage appearances you might want to consider a VJ 4 BR 25 which was stock on the "bastard" Bus engine for 1960. The 010 which is the re-release of the BR 25 didn't appear on the scene until about 1968.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
Tall Bloke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp Riechert dual carb - options on distributor Reply with quote

Thanks tasb.
swanlakers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp Riechert dual carb - options on distributor Reply with quote

Your build is not Okrasa, and is not dual port, but Okrasa did use the vacuum line, and connected it to the drivers side carburetor.
RichardinNZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp Riechert dual carb - options on distributor Reply with quote

I have a dual 28PCI single port. My heads have had some work to improve them. I had a stock exhaust and TDE tailpipes. I initially used a VJ4BR8 which seemed to match the engine OK. I then added Speedwell 1.4:1 ratio rockers and a Vintage Speed Sebring exhaust; I initially used the VJ4BR8 but then moved to a VJR4BR25. This really suited my new setup, and was a noticeable improvement.
My Car https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1750253
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: