Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Headers, what’s good out there.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brian rogers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:13 pm    Post subject: Headers, what’s good out there. Reply with quote

As the subject says. What’s good out there? I want to run full tin quandary flaps.
and thermostat. What fits? And what size thinking 1 5/8” on a 2165, 120 cam and kit. Heads are the choke point for now but will get a Fisher book quick port with 40/35 valve. CB Panchito are in the plans a few years down the road. It’s just a driver.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Headers, what’s good out there. Reply with quote

Berg GB933S is a 1-5/8" that cleans the thermostat. that's what I have.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Headers, what’s good out there. Reply with quote

brian rogers wrote:
I want to run full tin quandary flaps.

Ok....what?

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
First off, I know i made stupid decisions that led to my predicament, so while you are welcome to tell me that I am an idiot for doing the things I did, please know that I am already aware of this.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Headers, what’s good out there. Reply with quote

Last Fall i built a 2017 with a pair of CB 1-5/8" heater boxes matched with a A1 stainless header.

Thermostat fits just fine.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Headers, what’s good out there. Reply with quote

Quote:
Last Fall i built a 2017 with a pair of CB 1-5/8" heater boxes matched with a A1 stainless header.
Glenn- did you have to cut, reposition and reweld the flanges either on the header or on the heater boxes (HBs)?
edit- I just checked CB's site for those HB. Appears they do not have any flanges at the rear pipe ends, so that you had to have matching ones to the header welded on.

What size valves were in the heads for this engine?

Has the owner (or you) driven the car in cool weather so that he could report on the effectiveness of the HBs? If you did, was the heat output much better than the usual fin-less 1.5" HB?

I have parts for an 82 x 94 mm (2276 cc) engine and somewhat worked 40 x 35 mm valved heads for which an exhaust system like this, especially the CB HB should work reasonably well.
brian rogers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Headers, what’s good out there. Reply with quote

brian rogers wrote:
I want to run full tin quandary flaps.

Where that came from is spell check hell.
I want to run flaps and even able to use the thermostat. But my run time is mainly late spring to mid fall. If I get a condensation problem I’m armed.
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Headers, what’s good out there. Reply with quote

I have 2 A-1 exhausts. Not impressed.
1776cc, CB crank, CB 2241 cam, CB light lifters, CB H-beam rods, CB light flywheel, Mahle forged pistons, A1 Sidewinder exhaust, Dellorto drla 40’s, Hoover modded case, fully balanced, fully flowed, heads by www.type-emotorsports.com, Air ride suspension by https://www.airkewld.com/?Click=3989
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Headers, what’s good out there. Reply with quote

AA sidewinders usually clear. My current one clears with no bracket grinding whatsoever. I did two others, and they needed a notch cut out on the brackets to clear.

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Headers, what’s good out there. Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Glenn- did you have to cut, reposition and reweld the flanges either on the header or on the heater boxes (HBs)?
edit- I just checked CB's site for those HB. Appears they do not have any flanges at the rear pipe ends, so that you had to have matching ones to the header welded on.

These had the flanges already welded and they aligned perfectly. They were sold by CB and are made by Dansk. Maybe the they are sourcing them from another vendor.

Rome wrote:
What size valves were in the heads for this engine?

"Panchito 044™ (40 x 35.5) 90.5/92 Bore (each) w/Dual Hi-Rev Spring Upgrade"

Rome wrote:
Has the owner (or you) driven the car in cool weather so that he could report on the effectiveness of the HBs? If you did, was the heat output much better than the usual fin-less 1.5" HB?
Unfortunately then engine has been sitting since I built it and has not been installed yet... long story.

Roland... looking back the exhaust was ordered directly from Tiger @ A1 since I wanted some changes and CB told me to get it directly from him. So maybe the CB HB were sent to him and he welded the flanges.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Headers, what’s good out there. Reply with quote

Thanks, Glenn.
LucKaS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Headers, what’s good out there. Reply with quote

Glenn, what’s with the extra support on the rear of your motor?
Bad bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Headers, what’s good out there. Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Berg GB933S is a 1-5/8" that cleans the thermostat. that's what I have.

Glenn can you get this header today from the bergs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Headers, what’s good out there. Reply with quote

I would imagine you can. How much is your left nut worth to you?? 😂
1776cc, CB crank, CB 2241 cam, CB light lifters, CB H-beam rods, CB light flywheel, Mahle forged pistons, A1 Sidewinder exhaust, Dellorto drla 40’s, Hoover modded case, fully balanced, fully flowed, heads by www.type-emotorsports.com, Air ride suspension by https://www.airkewld.com/?Click=3989
brian rogers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Headers, what’s good out there. Reply with quote

It’s looking like I’m going Berg as all the older builders are gone. My main quandary is fit. As Berg said oncest upon a time cry once.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Headers, what’s good out there. Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2180736

You want the 933S if you want the merged header to clear the thermostat.

They make headers (Al headers does) for use of heaterboxes too.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Headers, what’s good out there. Reply with quote

LucKaS wrote:
Glenn, what’s with the extra support on the rear of your motor?

Berg rear engine support and Berg tranny crossmember.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Headers, what’s good out there. Reply with quote

The muffler can be junk. But the 1 5/8" ceramic coat from carcraftstore.com worked fine for me for several years. I did wind up lopping off the muffler it came with and replacing it with a flowmaster. It is an empi brand header. The difference between the empi and bugpack was the empi tucked up into the rear while the bugpack hung down and scraped on everything.

I've said this before, however. If I ever build another NA street motor, I'll run the wasp from CSP
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Headers, what’s good out there. Reply with quote

Dauz wrote:

I've said this before, however. If I ever build another NA street motor, I'll run the wasp from CSP

CSP! Nuff said.
CSP EVO Competition. 1 5/8" with heater boxes.

Fit's perfectly under and out of the way of the rear apron. This engine has the thermostat intact.

Just be prepared for some sticker shock when you follow this link.
https://www.csp-shop.com/en/exhaust-heating/csp-ev...9794a.html

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Headers, what’s good out there. Reply with quote

Suddenly the berg system is a bargain

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Headers, what’s good out there. Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Suddenly the berg system is a bargain

I know! Right?

The EVO has a very unique sound that I cannot even try to describe.
It's just way different that the typical ACVW header sound.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: