Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Corvair… love or hate?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stockholm VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:56 pm    Post subject: Corvair… love or hate? Reply with quote

Years ago I had a mint 62 Corvair Monza. What a car!!!!
Aircooled boxer 6 in the rear. 4 on the floor. Buckets and an ultra light steering. You think the bug’s handling is sketchy at the limit? Try a Monza. 😎
What are your thoughts? Should they be allowed in here?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Corvair… love or hate? Reply with quote

I had a '65 Corsa turbo. Two door hard top, buckets, 4 speed, telescopic steering wheel, all the gauges. Last year for the turbo engine, first year for the new body style and the 4 joint rear suspension. Beautiful car! Handled like a dream. Still kicking my asp for selling it but hard times tend to dictate... and it was a toy.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Corvair… love or hate? Reply with quote

Neat cars but they aren't a VW, so they belong in the Off Topic section.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Corvair… love or hate? Reply with quote

No, they don't belong here on a VW page. They have their own forum.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Corvair… love or hate? Reply with quote

Stockholm VW wrote:
Years ago I had a mint 62 Corvair Monza. What a car!!!!
Aircooled boxer 6 in the rear. 4 on the floor. Buckets and an ultra light steering. You think the bug’s handling is sketchy at the limit? Try a Monza. 😎
What are your thoughts? Should they be allowed in here?

You aren’t the first one to post Corvair and this is off topic. Do a search for Corvair. My dad had a 63 Monza 500, red with black interior bucket seats. That car ran great in stock form would burn rubber off the line and catch again going into 2nd. It was a 4 speed. Because of the unique design of cooling fan the belt would jump off if driver got rpm too high fast. I can still hear that flat 6 sound, it’s beautiful.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=40

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=653110
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Corvair… love or hate? Reply with quote

My first reaction was "Heck Yes!" but then on second thought - us other air cooled guys (motorcycles and model airplanes) might want some space here too...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Corvair… love or hate? Reply with quote

Define off topic then there will be no more grey area. Seems like it gets made up by those with power to delete or lock subjects they don’t like. Hey it’s your site you can do whatever. Several years ago One of the two political factions which are always at one another’s ass just shut off the power and killed the microphones when something they didn’t want to hear was being said. However it’s a fine line between order and chaos. Recently a certain few came here just to troll and be assholes.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=276153
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Corvair… love or hate? Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:

For anybody scratching their head, this thread was originally posted in a VW section of the forum.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Corvair… love or hate? Reply with quote

Now it’s in the right place. There was another fellow here doing a Corvair. His user name was &Dan. And then he was gone I liked his posts, he built a big V8 in the kitchen. I like that kind of off topic thing😀 probably not many here even familiar with Corvairs but they ran great, I can just imagine how much fun a Corvair powered bus or bug would be. Odd trivia but the Corvair engine was based on a scaled down tank engine and it rotates counterclockwise running. Idea

https://www.corvairforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9757

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662062&highlight=dan

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8711832&highlight=#8711832
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Corvair… love or hate? Reply with quote

eye wuz looken at one and talking to the owner on saturday... is said it runs great, only takes about 30 seconds to get to 60mph, has a few oil leaking spots....yup it wuz somethen.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Corvair… love or hate? Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
mukluk wrote:

For anybody scratching their head, this thread was originally posted in a VW section of the forum.

Yes, I moved it and should have posted something like "Moved"
I usually do that to prevent confusion so I take all the blame here. Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Corvair… love or hate? Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
eye wuz looken at one and talking to the owner on saturday... is said it runs great, only takes about 30 seconds to get to 60mph, has a few oil leaking spots....yup it wuz somethen.

^^^^^ this is an example of eating paint chips as a kid^^^^^^^
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Corvair… love or hate? Reply with quote

I love the Corvair. Of course, it's design heavily borrowed from Porsche and VW, but then remember this was the conservative GM we are talking about. I applaud anyone who pushed GM to move outside their comfort zone. If only there were more that that in the terrible late '70s and early '80s... maybe they wouldn't have had their clocks cleaned in the marketplace.

Look at the few bright points, like the Corvair, the EV-1, and Saturn.

All were WAY out of the norm for GM. In fact, good for GM to wise up and break Saturn into its own division to keep it from being "GM-ized" and killed off. Of course, once it came back under GM it did just that.

All three started as unofficial projects and had someone behind them who knew how to nurture the projects far enough to stay under GM's conservative radar to keep them alive until even GM had to pursue them further.

Compare the Corvair to the other subcompacts of the day, and you see how far ahead it was, and how much farther the design platform could have been taken.

Damn Ralph Nader!

Last edited by KTPhil on Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Volktales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Corvair… love or hate? Reply with quote

I have been actively looking for a Corvair for well over a year now. Very few in my area, and with what is going on in the world, cars outside my country are out of the question. I am sure something will come my way eventually...
1964 Ghia, ongoing project 2007-
1962 Beetle Beryl,original paint survivor 2012-
1970 Savannah Beige Beetle 2012-
1992 16v GTI, 100% stock 2006-
1991 "Terseo", wife's old daily 1995-
1969 Chevrolet CST/10 (family owned since new)
1965 Gold Corvair Monza 2021-
1966 and 1965 Monza 2022-
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: Corvair… love or hate? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
mark tucker wrote:

^^^^^ this is an example of eating paint chips as a kid^^^^^^^

It’s the EMP from passing electric cars.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Corvair… love or hate? Reply with quote

just trying to keep you guys sharp!!!
688GUY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Corvair… love or hate? Reply with quote

My dad had a Corvair around '68, he traded a long haired daushound for it, but ended up pushing it off a cliff because the fan belts kept coming off, LOL!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Corvair… love or hate? Reply with quote

Love 65 and up. I think the body is one of the most beautiful that GM did. And I have seriously pondered buying one, BUT with 5 VWs on the road and 2 projects, I know what would happen if I got one..or two...or three...LOL
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Corvair… love or hate? Reply with quote

688GUY wrote:
My dad had a Corvair around '68, he traded a long haired daushound for it, but ended up pushing it off a cliff because the fan belts kept coming off, LOL!

https://www.corvairforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11865
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Corvair… love or hate? Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
just trying to keep you guys sharp!!!

NEver have i ever thought the day would come when Mr. Tucker would type a germaticaliliy correct sentence Wink im proud of you sir and commend you for it Very Happy welcome to the normal people group. we wont judge you on your typing ability any more lol.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: