Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clementine on the move.....
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:37 am    Post subject: Clementine on the move..... Reply with quote

She runs, she runs !! Smile
After a twisted fuel filter nozzle blocking the fuel line last week, yesterday she would only fire on 2 cylinders, right hand side. Eventually found one of the (brand new) float chamber needles was sticking and no fuel gettting to RH side. Went back to the previous (original ?) needle and she fired up immediately, sweet as. Some minor carb adjustments by my buddy Steve and she was ticking over at 800 rpm with just over 20 psi oil pressure and plenty of volts from the generator. A quick drive round the block to make sure everythng was good, and on Monday will get her inspected and registered so I can get some fun at last.
Big smiles today !! Here are some pics - Am trying to upload a couple of videos onto my rebuild blog - Will post the link once done.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jimjams
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Clementine on the move..... Reply with quote

Well done. Looks like a great fastie
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Clementine on the move..... Reply with quote

Here is a link to her first drive round the block !! Hope this works !

https://photos.app.goo.gl/L8bkD3LB4GVxgD9YA
FastyOrange
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Clementine on the move..... Reply with quote

This is awesome! Great looking Fastback Giles! Congrats on getting it back on the road.

Jon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Clementine on the move..... Reply with quote

Good job. It looks super clean.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Clementine on the move..... Reply with quote

Qldelsie wrote:
Here is a link to her first drive round the block !! Hope this works !

https://photos.app.goo.gl/L8bkD3LB4GVxgD9YA

Looks fantastic Giles. But the guy driving it was driving on the wrong side of the road. Laughing Looked good though. Cool Congrats on getting it back on the road. Cool Should be fun to drive around.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Clementine on the move..... Reply with quote

Why the hell didnt i see this earlier!

HELL YEAH BROTHER!!!!!!!! GET ER DONE!!!! Laughing Laughing

nothing quite like driving it again for the first time in years right? So stoked for you man. She's looking great!

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Clementine on the move..... Reply with quote

Congrats.

To quote Ringo:
"You know it don't come easy". Wink

What’s That Noise?!?
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Clementine on the move..... Reply with quote

Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Clementine on the move..... Reply with quote

First drive was great - everything worked well, except the steering which had LOTS of play in it. Like 1/4 of a turn to take up the slack !! Made for an interesting drive !
Found a nut that fitted in the adjuster socket on the steering box, and loosened the big 40 mm lock nut, and all it took was a tiny adjustment to dial it all out. Drivability was so much better that I decided to kill 2 birds with one stone and went straight down to my tyre/wheel alignment place, and they did a full steering geo for me I had only eyeballed it when putting it all together, so wasn't surprised to find it had a total of 8.4 mm of toe in. Dialled down now to 0.5 mm on one side, and 0.4 on the other, for a total of 0.9 mm. Everything else pretty much spot on specifications once the toe and camber were set. John the operator said it was a pleasure to work on because all the adjustment threads were new !!
Drives really well now - I think I am going to enjoy this. Smile
Fitted a bus bar (with keyed power) down under the dash so I can easily wire in a radio, or my GPS and phone charger etc. Generator is pumping out 13.5 volts so unless I run every single electrical item at the same time, I am not going to have a problem. Using that silly panel which fits over the drain hoses to cover up the bus bar so no one can see it or accidentally bump it. Also wired up my little (side) parking lights to the indicators which I think is a good safety improvement to make the signal more visible, and have ordered some orange LED bulbs so they are the correct colour and a bit brighter. Have also ordered a couple of little LED instrument bulbs to try to brighten up the speedo and fuel gauges at night.
Such a great feeling after all the work, and mine only took 6 months !! Clatter, you are going to s**t yourself when you finally go for a drive in yours !!! Laughing Laughing
Giles
Peters Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: Clementine on the move..... Reply with quote

looking good there Giles....................
i have seen those side marker lenses in orange instead of putting an orange globe in the white/red ones..............
dont know where you would get them or how much...........
cheers Peter
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Clementine on the move..... Reply with quote

I have a couple of these on their way to me, Peter. Will let you know what they are like.
https://www.ledshoponline.com.au/product/12v-24v-ba9s-amber-led-360/
G
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Clementine on the move..... Reply with quote

Qldelsie wrote:
First drive was great - everything worked well, except the steering which had LOTS of play in it. Like 1/4 of a turn to take up the slack !! Made for an interesting drive !
Found a nut that fitted in the adjuster socket on the steering box, and loosened the big 40 mm lock nut, and all it took was a tiny adjustment to dial it all out. Drivability was so much better that I decided to kill 2 birds with one stone and went straight down to my tyre/wheel alignment place, and they did a full steering geo for me I had only eyeballed it when putting it all together, so wasn't surprised to find it had a total of 8.4 mm of toe in. Dialled down now to 0.5 mm on one side, and 0.4 on the other, for a total of 0.9 mm. Everything else pretty much spot on specifications once the toe and camber were set. John the operator said it was a pleasure to work on because all the adjustment threads were new !!
Drives really well now - I think I am going to enjoy this. Smile
Fitted a bus bar (with keyed power) down under the dash so I can easily wire in a radio, or my GPS and phone charger etc. Generator is pumping out 13.5 volts so unless I run every single electrical item at the same time, I am not going to have a problem. Using that silly panel which fits over the drain hoses to cover up the bus bar so no one can see it or accidentally bump it. Also wired up my little (side) parking lights to the indicators which I think is a good safety improvement to make the signal more visible, and have ordered some orange LED bulbs so they are the correct colour and a bit brighter. Have also ordered a couple of little LED instrument bulbs to try to brighten up the speedo and fuel gauges at night.
Such a great feeling after all the work, and mine only took 6 months !! Clatter, you are going to s**t yourself when you finally go for a drive in yours !!! Laughing Laughing
Giles

Something you might want to check on before you get too far, is to turn everything electrically on, and see if your fuse blows (check the total amp draw). Just something you can do while out doing some of your pre-running testing. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Clementine on the move..... Reply with quote

Bob, I had drawn up this chart to give me an idea of how I would go with the power available. I have tried to use actual amperages where possible, but a couple I have had to guess until such time as I get an actual.

As you can see, if I had EVERYTHING on I calculate that I would draw 27 amps, with the generator giving me 30 ish. This means driving on high beam, with wipers on, indicators flashing, radio, gps, inside lights etc all on, which is NEVER going to happen.
I added up a more realistic "night driving" scenario, and it comes out at 17 amps, which is still OK.

Comments ?
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Clementine on the move..... Reply with quote

Now fix your reversing lights Very Happy
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Clementine on the move..... Reply with quote

Qldelsie wrote:
Bob, I had drawn up this chart to give me an idea of how I would go with the power available. I have tried to use actual amperages where possible, but a couple I have had to guess until such time as I get an actual.

As you can see, if I had EVERYTHING on I calculate that I would draw 27 amps, with the generator giving me 30 ish. This means driving on high beam, with wipers on, indicators flashing, radio, gps, inside lights etc all on, which is NEVER going to happen.
I added up a more realistic "night driving" scenario, and it comes out at 17 amps, which is still OK.

Comments ?

Never say never. While you might not have the high beams on at night with the turn signals flashing and the wipers on, I could see it happening with the low beams on. BTDT.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Clementine on the move..... Reply with quote

If you got some vintagecarleds.com headlights you could drop your total headlight draw down to 4.16 Amps Wink Cool

Red 1971 Squareback Thread
Red 1966 Beetle Thread
---------------------------------------------------
1971 Green Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Ghia (sold)
1971 Blue Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Java Green Std Beetle (sold)
1971 Red Squareback (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Clementine on the move..... Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
Now fix your reversing lights Very Happy

On my list, on my list Laughing They are not stopping me from running, and I need the car up on a hoist because I think the problem is down in the new switch I have fitted (it was a blank in there before).
When all connected up, it only blows a fuse when you actually put the car in reverse, ie when the switch is "powered up". It seems the wires can go to either spade on the switch (I tried both, and it blew the fuse either way), so now I am wondering if there should be a fibre (insulating) washer (or similar) in there to actually isolate the body of the switch from the engine casing itself. ??????
I can't see anything else - I mean, the wiring is SO straightforward its not true. 2 reverse bulbs connected to each other, with a lead from that connecting wire down to the switch. Then a wire from the other terminal on the switch back to terminal 15 on the coil.
The reverse bulbs earth through the existing brown earth wire in the rear light cluster, that is already earthing the other bulbs.
So a cleverer man than I will check it out when I next get 5 mins on the hoist.
But thanks for reminding me !! Laughing
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Clementine on the move..... Reply with quote

Mr.Duncan wrote:
If you got some vintagecarleds.com headlights you could drop your total headlight draw down to 4.16 Amps Wink Cool

Yes, I know !! Saving up. Been spending a bit more than expected recently....... !! But they are on my list.
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Clementine on the move..... Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:

Never say never. While you might not have the high beams on at night with the turn signals flashing and the wipers on, I could see it happening with the low beams on. BTDT.

True, but even then I am under the generator output.

I do not often drive at night now, unless it is just to get home from a restaurant or something. But on my longer expeditions I NEVER drive at night unless it is an absolute emergency. Most Overlanders are the same - We just have a rule never to drive at night, mainly because many of the countries we go to have pedestrians, cows, elephants, pigs, chickens, bullock carts or camels wandering along the roads, and none of them have rear lights on !! So we start early in the morning, and start looking for accomodation at about 2-3 pm. That way we can also relax and have a beer or 3 at the end of a long day in the saddle Smile
Having said that, it is an offence in many countries to NOT have your headlights on during the day, so your comment is valid.
Giles
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: