Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

head porting do and don'ts
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MitchS046
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject: head porting do and don'ts Reply with quote

buying a pair of 94mm cb Panchito 044 and was wondering if they need porting for a pair of 44idf.

should I do it myself? or get someone else to do it?

Does anyone know a good porter in the neighborhood of Holland (rest of Europe is also somewhat possible)

if DIY what should I use? air die grinder? Dremel tool? hand drill?

what bits should be used? carbine? tungsten? flap wheel?

till what grit should it be polished?

what should you target more btw CFM or air velocity?

Is there something different of porting for EFI? (because of the spray patterns)

are there differences between N/A or boosted application?

sorry kind of a long post but porting is really new to me but am willing to learn

~ mark divine
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: head porting do and don'ts Reply with quote

MitchS046 wrote:
buying a pair of 94mm cb Panchito 044 and was wondering if they need porting for a pair of 44idf.

NO, Panchitos have excellent ports as-is. A couple people have slightly touched the exhaust ports, but even that is not necessary.

order the heads with CNC cut chambers and then CC'd to your desired compression ratio.

as-cast IDF manifolds will work out of the box

if you need more flow than the panchitos can offer, then buy a different head.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: head porting do and don'ts Reply with quote

sled wrote:
MitchS046 wrote:

NO, Panchitos have excellent ports as-is. A couple people have slightly touched the exhaust ports, but even that is not necessary.

order the heads with CNC cut chambers and then CC'd to your desired compression ratio.

as-cast IDF manifolds will work out of the box if you need more flow than the panchitos can offr, then buy a different head.

I agree, and also tit retainers upgrade. a little pocket blending may be needed/help.but they are a exelent as cast head. if you are not a head porter that knows whats what and what to do and not to do do not mess with them. Ive seen lots of good castings effed up by clueless head porters.
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: head porting do and don'ts Reply with quote

Tit retainers?? Hell yeah!
1776cc, CB crank, CB 2241 cam, CB light lifters, CB H-beam rods, CB light flywheel, Mahle forged pistons, A1 Sidewinder exhaust, Dellorto drla 40’s, Hoover modded case, fully balanced, fully flowed, heads by www.type-emotorsports.com, Air ride suspension by https://www.airkewld.com/?Click=3989
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: head porting do and don'ts Reply with quote

67 Sunroof wrote:

I dunno, I prefer when tits are NOT retained...but thats just me Very Happy
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: head porting do and don'ts Reply with quote

sled wrote:
67 Sunroof wrote:

I dunno, I prefer when tits are NOT retained...but thats just me Very Happy

For me it kinda' depends on who is doing the retaining. Drool

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: head porting do and don'ts Reply with quote

What size engine are you building? If you look at the turnkey engines on CBPerf website they are using the Panchito heads on engines as large as 2387 and getting hp in the 180s. Assuming these are the same off the shelf Panchitos that you and I can buy w/o additional porting and upsized valves tells you what these heads are capable of!
I was planning to purchase mini wedges later this year for my 2332 weekend driver but have since decided on the CNC Panchitos.
Might change my mind based on what the all new MOFOCO 050s look like if they are available when I’m ready to pull the trigger.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: head porting do and don'ts Reply with quote

MitchS046 wrote:

Does anyone know a good porter in the neighborhood of Holland (rest of Europe is also somewhat possible)

if DIY what should I use? air die grinder? Dremel tool? hand drill?

what bits should be used? carbine? tungsten? flap wheel?

till what grit should it be polished?

what should you target more btw CFM or air velocity?

Is there something different of porting for EFI? (because of the spray patterns)

are there differences between N/A or boosted application?

sorry kind of a long post but porting is really new to me but am willing to learn

I would NOT touch those ports. One, they are good as they are. Two, the port walls are thin and for a first time porter, it would be very easy to grind through the port wall and ruin the head.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MitchS046
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: head porting do and don'ts Reply with quote

DerrickfromNC1 wrote:
What size engine are you building?

1915 94x69 but was hoping for around 130/150 hp with efi and cranktrigger ignition. Should i stay with the panchito’s for that or should i go with a pair of 044 magnums? Or perhaps something completely different. Would love to use a pair of JPM MS230 but not willing to spend the whole budget on just a pair of heads

~ mark divine
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: head porting do and don'ts Reply with quote

Trust in the Panchitos and live your life.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: head porting do and don'ts Reply with quote

How high are you honestly planning to rev this engine?

Always use the smallest valve that will allow the displacement to reach its intended RPM.

Using too big of a valve will slow down airspeed and make the bottom end soggy.

Brian
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: