Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best sound deadening for bus
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rogercelliott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject: Best sound deadening for bus Reply with quote

We have put Dynamat over the floors and doors of our 65 vw bus and although it's gotten a bit better noise -wise it's still hard to hear the other person talking unless we yell and that's even when we're in the front seats. We matted over the engine bay, the cargo floor, the walls and the doors as well as the front floor and the front of the bus. Like I said, it helped some but still seems really loud.

What are you using to kill sound?
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Best sound deadening for bus Reply with quote

I used kilmat on the walls and ceiling and strips of a similar product over engine and rear fenders. That will get most of the vibration. I wanted to keep the weight down so didn't cover everything.

Before we installed the camper interior we put a quilt over the engine and that helped a lot. With a full interior we can talk normally while driving.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rogercelliott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Best sound deadening for bus Reply with quote

[quote="sgellis"]I used kilmat on the walls and ceiling and strips of a similar product over engine and rear fenders. That will get most of the vibration. I wanted to keep the weight down so didn't cover everything.

Before we installed the camper interior we put a quilt over the engine and that helped a lot. With a full interior we can talk normally while driving.

Hi Sgellis,
Thanks for showing what you did. We did pretty much the same thing except we didn't cover the ceiling. We used an iPhone decibel app and we think the most noise is in the front where we did put Dynamat but I think we need something thicker. Probably the ceiling could be a help too. We'll see....
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: Best sound deadening for bus Reply with quote

I removed close to 20 lbs of Dynamat from my bus along with scraping brushed on tar-like-goop off the walls and it didn't make much if any difference in noise. In the rear I have a fold out westy bed and the original style rubber mat on the floor and I can hardly hear the engine. What got rid of a lot of noise up front for me was removing the safari windows.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Best sound deadening for bus Reply with quote

In my '67 Bus I have done extensive sound deadening. Not all of it was to quiet down the ride of the bus. Most of it was done to deal with the audio system going into the bus.
I did start with a Proform product that was paintable. The lower sides of the rear cargo area and the long panel section.

Then I carried on with Kilmat in the cargo doors, hatch and spare well. The front floor, seat pedestals and walk-thru floor were also taken care of with the Kilmat.

The roof was given a few pieces of Kilmat and then covered with a 3M thinsulate product that is hydrophobic, has a high amount of foil-like material in it and it should aid in keeping the heat down in a black roofed bus.The same material was applied to the backs of all the door panels.

The rear cargo area, wheel wells and under the rear seat were also given the same treatment.

But to add to that, a hood liner Dynomat was applied to the top of the engine bay to help calm the engine noise a bit.

To aid in the speaker placement areas Focal's Bam sound deadening was used. It has the butyl backing, weighted foil and a top layer of closed cell foam. This was used in the upper rear quarters and the front doors.

I can't attest to how this works on road noise, as my bus has not seen the road yet. But, the reverberated sound inside the bus, both reflected and conducted (hand clap, door closing, knocking on panels) sound has lowered in frequency to a dull thud. No tinny sound at all.

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
rogercelliott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Best sound deadening for bus Reply with quote

flemcadiddlehopper wrote:
In my '67 Bus I have done extensive sound deadening. Not all of it was to quiet down the ride of the bus. Most of it was done to deal with the audio system going into the bus.
I did start with a Proform product that was paintable. The lower sides of the rear cargo area and the long panel section.

Then I carried on with Kilmat in the cargo doors, hatch and spare well. The front floor, seat pedestals and walk-thru floor were also taken care of with the Kilmat.

The roof was given a few pieces of Kilmat and then covered with a 3M thinsulate product that is hydrophobic, has a high amount of foil-like material in it and it should aid in keeping the heat down in a black roofed bus.The same material was applied to the backs of all the door panels.

The rear cargo area, wheel wells and under the rear seat were also given the same treatment.

But to add to that, a hood liner Dynomat was applied to the top of the engine bay to help calm the engine noise a bit.

To aid in the speaker placement areas Focal's Bam sound deadening was used. It has the butyl backing, weighted foil and a top layer of closed cell foam. This was used in the upper rear quarters and the front doors.

I can't attest to how this works on road noise, as my bus has not seen the road yet. But, the reverberated sound inside the bus, both reflected and conducted (hand clap, door closing, knocking on panels) sound has lowered in frequency to a dull thud. No tinny sound at all.

Gordo.

Hi Gordo,
Thanks for your pics. We've just ordered some thicker stuff to put on the floor in front and we added some foil sided stuff with foam in the middle to the cargo doors and the back seat area and over the engine. We may look at doing the inside of the engine bay. There's a lot of carpet foam in the panels which is probably good for insulation but not so great for sound deadening.

Roger
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Best sound deadening for bus Reply with quote

Hey Flem, what did you use in the side walls and the side panels by the spare tire mount that you painted over. It looks good that way even if they get covered.
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Best sound deadening for bus Reply with quote

The product was Proform solid butyl backed aluminum sheets.

http://www.proformproducts.com/en/products/repair-...ng-sheets/

It might be a Canadian thing. Very good prices though.

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Best sound deadening for bus Reply with quote

Joey wrote:
I removed close to 20 lbs of Dynamat from my bus along with scraping brushed on tar-like-goop off the walls and it didn't make much if any difference in noise. In the rear I have a fold out westy bed and the original style rubber mat on the floor and I can hardly hear the engine. What got rid of a lot of noise up front for me was removing the safari windows.

this ^^^^!

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Best sound deadening for bus Reply with quote

Keep in mind that the butyl and other similar thin, foil adhesive-backed sheets don't block sound, that's not what they're intended to do, and advertising and product descriptions suggesting as much are misleading, if not intentional. What they're designed to do is stop the vibration of sheet metal so that it doesn't resonate (because vibrating sheet metal makes noise!).

If you truly want to damp and reduce noise transmission through the body and into the cabin, you need a closed-cell foam product or similar to attenuate the noise signal, or a Westy bed at a minimum. Wink

Do some homework on the Web and read up on this subject, there's a shit-ton of information out there outside of TheSamba.
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Best sound deadening for bus Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Keep in mind that the butyl and other similar thin, foil adhesive-backed sheets don't block sound, that's not what they're intended to do, and advertising and product descriptions suggesting as much are misleading, if not intentional. What they're designed to do is stop the vibration of sheet metal so that it doesn't resonate (because vibrating sheet metal makes noise!).

If you truly want to damp and reduce noise transmission through the body and into the cabin, you need a closed-cell foam product or similar to attenuate the noise signal, or a Westy bed at a minimum. Wink

Do some homework on the Web and read up on this subject, there's a shit-ton of information out there outside of TheSamba.

Exactly. I’m an insulator and used 1/2”-thick, self-adhering elastomeric sheet to deaden the noise, similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/36-48-Elastomeric-Insulation-Sheet/dp/B007R7Z70M

There are many other products I have at my disposal and recommend closed-cell types. Quiet as all get out in my DC. It helps with the noise transmission too, but it also keeps the sound out or in, if I’m blaring German metal hahaha.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Best sound deadening for bus Reply with quote

62DoKaGuy wrote:
Busstom wrote:

Exactly. I’m an insulator and used 1/2”-thick, self-adhering elastomeric sheet to deaden the noise, similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/36-48-Elastomeric-Insulation-Sheet/dp/B007R7Z70M

There are many other products I have at my disposal and recommend closed-cell types. Quiet as all get out in my DC. It helps with the noise transmission too, but it also keeps the sound out or in, if I’m blaring German metal hahaha.

Twisted Evil RAMMSTEIN!
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Best sound deadening for bus Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
62DoKaGuy wrote:
Busstom wrote:

Twisted Evil RAMMSTEIN!

Hey, I don't always listen to Rammstein, but when I du, du hast, du hast mich hahaha.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
rogercelliott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Best sound deadening for bus Reply with quote

62DoKaGuy wrote:
Busstom wrote:

THAT"S a big help! Thanks! We'll try getting more of that then. WE have one sheet over the engine bay but nowhere else.

Roger
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Best sound deadening for bus Reply with quote

Joey wrote:
.....What got rid of a lot of noise up front for me was removing the safari windows.

My 61 hardtop deluxe is pretty quiet.

It has a full set of original interior panels, 90% of the original headliner headliner, and even the old horsehair-ish stuff above the headliner.
It has most of the sound deadening strips on the engine area, in between the ribs. I suppose it had the sound deading strips under the bulkhead panels, I've never had them out.
It has an early bay hide a bed, and a cushion above the engine.
It has front and rear floor mats.
It has safari windows, if opened there is wind noise.
It's pretty quiet, really. I balanced the rods and pistons when I buildt the engine.

The loudest noise is this really irritating rattle of a jailbar that developed in the last year. Evil or Very Mad

Tar strips:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php...t_dir=DESC
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Best sound deadening for bus Reply with quote

+1 for https://kilmat.com/
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Best sound deadening for bus Reply with quote

I just did my bus (71 bay) similar to how flem Did his above but not quite as extensive. I didn’t do any in the roof (headliner is installed) nor have I gotten around to anything in the front from the bulkhead forward. I used kilmat. Overall it made a worthwhile difference. It is still loud when going through the gears and higher rpms but overall the tin can effect that seems to create a lot of noise is gone. For the $120 I spent, well worth it. Could easily do another $120 worth in the areas I haven’t addressed yet. I will get around to doing more eventually but for now am happy with it. I’d also like to add some of that closed foam stuff in the engine bay and where the gas tank sits next time I have the engine out. Seems as though 75% of the noise I still have is from the engine.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Best sound deadening for bus Reply with quote

Sound deadening in the engine bay where you can see it is ugly.

To reduce engine noise, use strips above engine bay, between ribs.
You can cover them after with a panel, carpet, rubber mat, cushion, etc.

This is from factory, you can use 1/4" sound deadening.
Then the carpet etc lays flat above the ribs. Very Happy

I used fatmat in my 66 combi. It made no noticeable difference.
When I installed interior panels with the refectix insulation, it made a big difference.
I head that dynamat is better than fatmat, FWIW
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Best sound deadening for bus Reply with quote

62DoKaGuy wrote:
I’m an insulator and used 1/2”-thick, self-adhering elastomeric sheet to deaden the noise, similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/36-48-Elastomeric-Insulation-Sheet/dp/B007R7Z70M

If he says his DC is quiet using this type of stuff, I'm sold! For some odd reason, I felt my DC was louder inside than any bus I've owned. I'll have to look into this when I get ready to get my bus on the road.

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Best sound deadening for bus Reply with quote

DubStyle wrote:
62DoKaGuy wrote:
I’m an insulator and used 1/2”-thick, self-adhering elastomeric sheet to deaden the noise, similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/36-48-Elastomeric-Insulation-Sheet/dp/B007R7Z70M

If he says his DC is quiet using this type of stuff, I'm sold! For some odd reason, I felt my DC was louder inside than any bus I've owned. I'll have to look into this when I get ready to get my bus on the road.

It probably depends on the truck but my current Double Cab is louder inside than my 15-window.
Someone else has told me the same thing - His Double Cab seemed really loud to him
I think it's the echo from under the rear seat because I noticed when I had my tarp and a bunch of stuff stored under there it was a lot quieter.

My old '60 was really quiet but I'm not sure why other than I remember it having a later transmission in it so probably because the RPMs were lower on the freeway.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: