Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wrangler mirrors - Demand for new aftermarket power option
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nsmal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:14 pm    Post subject: Wrangler mirrors - Demand for new aftermarket power option Reply with quote

I'm dead set on converting my Vanagon to power everything.

After considering my options, I've decided to adapt Wrangler mirrors to the stock Vanagon mirror mounting locations. This came up in my research but it didn't seem to go anywhere: Jeep Wrangler mirrors?

I've designed billet brackets that I'll machine for myself regardless, but economies of scale really help keep costs to a minimum. Is there anyone out there who would buy in on outsourced brackets?

Heads up - this won't be a bargain, so if you have a tight budget this probably won't be your thing. Brand-new aftermarket power heated Wrangler mirrors are about $80-90 per pair, but the billet brackets will not be cheap. There needs to be demand for around 10 sets for this to be priced economically.

However, considering there are used OEM Vanagon mirrors on eBay right now listed for over $400, I think this will still be a competitive option to something like that. A bolt-on power heated mirror option for Vanagons currently doesn't exist.
nsmal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Wrangler mirrors - Demand for new aftermarket power option Reply with quote

For reference here are some pics:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Wrangler mirrors - Demand for new aftermarket power option Reply with quote

Nice, those look kinda like the original Mk1 Rabbit manual remote mirrors.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
remraf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Wrangler mirrors - Demand for new aftermarket power option Reply with quote

Those look good. That's me with the prototypes I printed towards the end of that thread.

My original plan was to mill them as well but couldn't get the numbers to work for a niche market like the Vanagon. My design involved too many setups for cnc. Your design appears to be more straightforward so perhaps your numbers will work out better. I had some life issues get in the way but started redesigning my mount for printing in a UV stable version of ABS. Curious if you want them to be power it appears the post is sticking out of the bottom of the mount of Jeep mirror. When I researched them I thought the wiring came through the bottom of the tapered mount?

I've been using the Jeep mirrors printed in PLA for a while now. They make great mirrors for the van, great visibility and are a good aesthetic match.
nsmal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Wrangler mirrors - Demand for new aftermarket power option Reply with quote

remraf wrote:
Those look good. That's me with the prototypes I printed towards the end of that thread.

My original plan was to mill them as well but couldn't get the numbers to work for a niche market like the Vanagon. My design involved too many setups for cnc. Your design appears to be more straightforward so perhaps your numbers will work out better. I had some life issues get in the way but started redesigning my mount for printing in a UV stable version of ABS. Curious if you want them to be power it appears the post is sticking out of the bottom of the mount of Jeep mirror. When I researched them I thought the wiring came through the bottom of the tapered mount?

I've been using the Jeep mirrors printed in PLA for a while now. They make great mirrors for the van, great visibility and are a good aesthetic match.

Nice, your post was definitely inspiration for me to try this out.

The design of these are relatively complex. I started out with something very similar to yours, but found that the wing window couldn't swing open when the mirrors are mounted directly in front of the stock mounting location. I tried extending them outward, but then they didn't quite look right with the mirrors mounted so far away from the body. I'm on my 6th major design iteration, and the mounts are now swept back so the wing window can clear the mirrors.

Yes, the adjustment motor + heater wiring exits the plastic mirror shrouding at the bottom near the post. These mounts have a hollow passthrough so the wires are completely shrouded. They are in fact routed all the way into the door in my prototype shown above.

The niche Vanagon market is definitely challenging. I'm not trying to make money here, just at least break even or slightly under just so I don't have to machine these myself. Based on a preliminary quote, I think that's achievable.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: