Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carb Install questions
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:25 pm    Post subject: Carb Install questions Reply with quote

I think I know part of the answer, but please correct me if I am wrong.

I am installing a set of dual weber 44s temporarily to attempt to start this newly built type 4 2.0. The webers are on loan. So.... the gasket kit comes with all kinds of stuff and no directions.

Since I am installing carbs, do I NOT use the phenolic blocks? Just use the 4 metal seals that slide over the intake studs?

2ndly, since these are temporary, I suppose I am gonna need to put fresh seals on when I get the permanent carbs on, correct? Anyone recommend adding a light coat of sealant, now or on the permanent install?

What about just using the phenolic blocks as the temporary seals? good idea, bad idea? Will they work since they kinda change the geometry of the intake and the cross bar, etc....

Give me you thoughts on the whole idea.

THanks
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Carb Install questions Reply with quote

My understanding is the phenolic blocks are only used on the Fuel Injection system (it insulates it from the heat from the head). The carbs need the heat to atomize the fuel better. As for using them as a temporary seal i'd just order a new set of seals for your new carbs they shouldn't cost that much.

"Growing older, but not up!"
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Carb Install questions Reply with quote

Use the metal gaskets.

The FI gaskets insulate the fuel injectors from heat and create proper spacing for them in their bores. I'm sure if you'd be able to use them on carbs, as I recall the carb intakes being thicker than the FI intakes.

With carbs, you want that heat to transfer into those intake manifolds, especially on single carbs, reasons behind why VW had the pre-heat (heat riser) tubes. Duals aren't as bad on icing and staying cold, but any heat from the engine through the intakes will increase fuel atomization.

Sam

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb Install questions Reply with quote

You can use the phenol gaskets on a carbureted engine as a tuning tool. If you live in a hot climate the thick gaskets will keep the heat under control, this is particularly needed after shutdown when running ethanol laced fuels. In a colder climate you want to use the thin metal gaskets to help get heat to the carbs and thus prevent icing and improve atomization.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb Install questions Reply with quote

So it is all about the heat transfer. Not much worry about leaks or proper seal.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb Install questions Reply with quote

Leaks are an issue, good clean flat surfaces on both sides ensure that, but don't re use the metal gaskets since they conform to a particular area just once.

As already mentioned a phenolic spacer between the carbs(s) and manifold(s) is a good idea to prevent heat soak, but for running the metal gaskets keep the manifolds warm and that a good thing.

Pay close attention to the edges of the cylinder tin surrounding the manifold to head joint, they sometimes protrude enough to get pinched and prevent the manifold from seating fully, those leaks are a major PITA, watch for it while installing...

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: