Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Logan Learns to Build a Fastback
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Logan Learns to Build a Fastback Reply with quote

report back on the function for sure. IM sure they are nice... but i hope they are worth 400 bucks of nice and function

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
loganzillmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Logan Learns to Build a Fastback Reply with quote

Hey all. I had all of my front end hardware re-plated. Before I handed over the bag of bolts to the plating company, I life-size photographed it all so when I got it back I knew where each piece went.

Here is a pic of the hardware for the beam. Am I missing washers?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Logan Learns to Build a Fastback Reply with quote

loganzillmer wrote:
Hey all. I had all of my front end hardware re-plated. Before I handed over the bag of bolts to the plating company, I life-size photographed it all so when I got it back I knew where each piece went.

Maybe 1 flat washer as seen in the left side of the washer collection. But then it's possible that the PO added a washer to the collection before you bought the car. I'd see if I could find another one, just in case you need it. Wink I don't think they'll charge that much for an extra washer in with the others. Are they charging by the piece? Or by the pound?

Honestly, I think you're short 2 bolts, 2 big flat washers, and 2 more lock washers, that ALL go with the beam install (to attach the beam clamp to the body). You should have 4 rubber donuts too.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
loganzillmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Logan Learns to Build a Fastback Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
loganzillmer wrote:

Maybe 1 flat washer as seen in the left side of the washer collection. But then it's possible that the PO added a washer to the collection before you bought the car. I'd see if I could find another one, just in case you need it. Wink I don't think they'll charge that much for an extra washer in with the others. Are they charging by the piece? Or by the pound?

Honestly, I think you're short 2 bolts, 2 big flat washers, and 2 more lock washers, that ALL go with the beam install (to attach the beam clamp to the body). You should have 4 rubber donuts too.

I've got the bolts and big flat washers for the beam to body. I had those in a different bag. These are just for the brackets to the beam.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Logan Learns to Build a Fastback Reply with quote

OK, just wanted to make sure you had them, and if you're sending them out, included them.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
loganzillmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Logan Learns to Build a Fastback Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
OK, just wanted to make sure you had them, and if you're sending them out, included them.

Do you by chance know exactly what hardware there should be for connecting the brackets to the beam?
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Logan Learns to Build a Fastback Reply with quote

loganzillmer wrote:

Pretty sure you're spot-on here.

Each little square-ish block for the middle of the clamps gets a split lock.
The four long clamp bolts each get either a thin flat or a warpy.
The extra bigger flat is for where the ground strap picks up the column,
So upper left-hand clamp bolt (driver's side).
It's used so tightening the bolt doesn't make the little wire terminal rotate (too much).

BTDT. Wink

What’s That Noise?!?
Dlglobal1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Logan Learns to Build a Fastback Reply with quote

Here is the full set of hardware just recently removed from my car for reference.

1968 Mercedes 230 "Heckflosse"
1970 Type 3 Fastback 1600 TA L60D
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Logan Learns to Build a Fastback Reply with quote

loganzillmer wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:

Do you by chance know exactly what hardware there should be for connecting the brackets to the beam?

Looks like you had them all to me.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
loganzillmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Logan Learns to Build a Fastback Reply with quote

I haven't posted on here in a while. Its the dead of winter here in Michigan, so I haven't been able to do much other than collect all of my parts to do the motor swap in the spring. I've decided to do a Subaru 2.2L motor swap along with a Subaru trans. I have friends that build and rally Subarus and another that is putting a 2.5L in his bus, so I figured I'd go that route instead of the Type 4 route (more power, better reliability, cheaper parts etc). I've got almost everything I need so far.

Other progress I've made: I got the whole front end put back together and under the car. It looks great. I can't believe how difficult it was to get the front axle back in. Getting the vertical bolts lined up was an absolute nightmare, it took hours and multiple jack points to line up those bolts, the metal bushings kept falling out haha, it was frustrating - the passenger side especially. I wasn't able to drive it much because even after I put a second new (this time German made) master cyl on the car, and replaced both rear wheel cylinders, I still couldn't get proper pressure in the brakes. Just can't figure it out, nor could a couple of my friends. But, it doesn't matter at this point. That second new master has to come back off anyway because I am putting rear discs on when I do the powertrain swap, and will need a proper master for that set up. I'll figure the brakes out at that point.

The passenger side axle bracket is the only piece that didn't get "restored" because I couldn't get the original one back on. It had a small dent in it and I think that kept me from being able to get it on. It was too cold to paint the new (used) one I got, so it just went on as is.

I did get the fasty on the road for a hot second and it felt awful, haha. I'm hoping it just needs an alignment after having everything off the front end, because the steering was really vague and would sort of dart around on its own. Fingers crossed that is all it is. I did find out later that there are two different thicknesses of the rubber collars. I did put a couple new (used) ones on there, I'm hoping they are all the same thickness. I may put all new new ones on later if it still feels like garbage after I get the swap done and have an alignment, but I'm really dreading having to put that front axle back on again.

I do have a couple of questions I am hoping some of you may be able to help out with.

1) I am going to be running a Link ECU with my powertrain swap and want to run the speedo off the motor rather than the wheel. What do I need to do to the speedo to make that happen?

2) Who do you folks recommend to restore gauges? None of mine work, and I also want them looking nice. I plan to order a tach from ISP West and would like them all to look as good as that new one.

3) Is there anyone out there rebuilding steering boxes? Because this car will be for spirited drives as well as looking awesome, I want the steering as good as it can be. For peace of mind, I'd love to have a new box on there. I have read on here that the "new" boxes are no good, so I am wondering if anyone out there restores them well.

I will be creating a whole series of videos of the powertrain swap and everything that goes along with that. So, when the time comes, I will share links on here. The purpose of the videos will be to show someone like me, who may be building a car for the first time, how to do the swap. I will be having a few experts teach me each stage in the whole process, and it will be shot in very easy to understand close detail. I am a commercial and advertising director/photographer by trade. It is different that the automotive content I usually do, but I haven't seen a single good subie swap video out there yet and this swap is really popular, so I figured why not.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: