Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

79 Bus with remnants of both seat bulkheads
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blacka1vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:04 am    Post subject: 79 Bus with remnants of both seat bulkheads Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone has seen this in a late bay. We recently got our first bus and were really excited Laughing . It’s a 79 it has the remains of a bulkhead behind both seats. Not just a small reinforcement but a full bulkhead like I’ve seen in pictures of earlier bays. They are both cut off now. It appears that the passenger seat has replaced sliders and some grinding was done in that area too. Could it have been built with the fixed passenger seat like I’ve seen in other photos? Maybe there’s something in the mcodes? It says it was built with 2-0-3 seating.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

73 Bus
79 Bus -Tic Tak
86 Cabriolet
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: 79 Bus with remnants of both seat bulkheads Reply with quote

What model bus is this? A camper? There isn't a bulkhead behind the driver's seat?

Late model bays didin't have a bulkhead behind the passenger seat as the seat had the capabilities to pivot rearward and add seating to the cargo/camping area. Pretty neat design touch that they carried out to the Vanagon's.

The seam or "cut" section doesn't look very cut to me. Do you have any photos giving scale to the entire "bulkhead area"? Perhaps shot from the rear of the bus forward?

Sam

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: 79 Bus with remnants of both seat bulkheads Reply with quote

That's a vanagon seat someone added.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: 79 Bus with remnants of both seat bulkheads Reply with quote

A Kombi or panel would have come with both bulkheads (unless M coded for Westfalia), the M plate has all the answers (aside from what your PO was thinking).

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
blacka1vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Bus with remnants of both seat bulkheads Reply with quote

alaskadan wrote:
That's a vanagon seat someone added.

Definitely Vanagon seats.

Drivers seat track is the original but also the late bus style. It’s title as a 79. I got it with Vanagon seats up front and a 3/4 westy bed in back that’s not original. Got a few holes drilled in the floor. I kinda figured it was a home brew camper at some point. Definitely had a spare tire on the front. I’ll get better pics of the inside posted tomorrow. You can definitely see where it was cut.its not horrible but definitely not Vw quality. I decoded the m plate but I’m no expert. Here’s the plate. I’m just curious about it. It’s awesome getting to know this old Bus.

73 Bus
79 Bus -Tic Tak
86 Cabriolet
blacka1vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Bus with remnants of both seat bulkheads Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
A Kombi or panel would have come with both bulkheads (unless M coded for Westfalia), the M plate has all the answers (aside from what your PO was thinking).

It has windows with sliders in the middle and solid windows in the rear. What would make it a Kombi model?
73 Bus
79 Bus -Tic Tak
86 Cabriolet
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Bus with remnants of both seat bulkheads Reply with quote

Well I don't see any Westfalia codes (but I'm not an expert on M plates), I do see a UP which I think means Portland OR, could be a former Riviera, they preferred Commercial models for conversion bases. Here's a bunch of decoders to try: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
blacka1vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Bus with remnants of both seat bulkheads Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

It has windows with sliders in the middle and solid windows in the rear. What would make it a Kombi model?
73 Bus
79 Bus -Tic Tak
86 Cabriolet
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Bus with remnants of both seat bulkheads Reply with quote

blacka1vw wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

Not for sure, lots of models could have had that configuration. How about some more pictures of the rear interior, headlining and cab?

Слава Україні!
78BusGA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Bus with remnants of both seat bulkheads Reply with quote

No sheetmetal like that on my '78 Kombi. Similar to yours with the slider middle side windows. Mine has the small triangular reinforcements. I see the rubber mat in the B pillar photo which seems to go up to the front seat base, so I am betting since that looks in tact it wasn't configured for a camper.

A commercial layout would seem to make sense, though were even those outfitted with the bulkheads? I don't recall ever seeing a bay that late with bulkheads, even though they are beautiful with early bay deluxe panels mounted.

Think they could have been an add on with end of type 2 production to use up old parts like it is known the Factory to do to, just use up what was laying about?

Have you put your M-plate into the decoder yet? There's a goodly lot of codes on that. The programmer is still adding in odd production codes and might benefit if you have new ones to add if the features of that code can be figured out.

Tom H.

My '74 Super 1303 thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=764902&start=60

My '78 Kombi Bus thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=769385&highlight=

'72 Superbeetle (retired), '78 Bus Kombi 2.0FI, '74 1303 Superbeetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blacka1vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: 79 Bus with remnants of both seat bulkheads Reply with quote

78BusGA wrote:
Have you put your M-plate into the decoder yet? There's a goodly lot of codes on that. The programmer is still adding in odd production codes and might benefit if you have new ones to add if the features of that code can be figured out.

I did do the one decoder but I’m not sur I’m interpreting the information correctly that it’s giving me back. Here are some more photos. I took a few inside the structure of the passenger seat and there is a reinforcement/bolt plate in the back near where my seat belt buckle bolts on on that side. Also just above where they started cutting on the pillars there are spot welds drilled and paint missing from something else that’s gone now. Interior has wood grain side panels not sure if those were something someone added. The headliner is paneling now but I’m not sure what was there originally. Thanks for the input guys.

73 Bus
79 Bus -Tic Tak
86 Cabriolet
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: 79 Bus with remnants of both seat bulkheads Reply with quote

had a 79 passenger bus, for just a hot min, and it had the sliders.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: 79 Bus with remnants of both seat bulkheads Reply with quote

Those stripes are badass! Cool

I see a short vinyl headliner over the cab, that says Kombi not for Westfalia to me, the interior parts and middle windows were likely added by a PO from a junkyard find.

The RH seat tracks have been added later, you can see the spot where the cleat for the non adjustable seat were attached here:

Looks like a nice bus with good bones, be happy a hacked seat is the worst of your problems, others have to replace the lower 6" of the body all the way around.

Слава Україні!
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Bus with remnants of both seat bulkheads Reply with quote

No floor vent/flapper door for rear heat
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
blacka1vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Bus with remnants of both seat bulkheads Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

Looks like a nice bus with good bones, be happy a hacked seat is the worst of your problems, others have to replace the lower 6" of the body all the way around.

Thanks we are really happy to have it. Some of the other buses we were considering were the other kind. The ones where you have to replace the whole bottom.
73 Bus
79 Bus -Tic Tak
86 Cabriolet
blacka1vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Bus with remnants of both seat bulkheads Reply with quote

ImAddicted wrote:

where would these parts be located?
73 Bus
79 Bus -Tic Tak
86 Cabriolet
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: 79 Bus with remnants of both seat bulkheads Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

I see a short vinyl headliner over the cab, that says Kombi not for Westfalia to me, the interior parts and middle windows were likely added by a PO from a junkyard find.

Right? I always thought Kombis had solid middle and rear windows.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: 79 Bus with remnants of both seat bulkheads Reply with quote

babysnakes wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

Right? I always thought Kombis had solid middle and rear windows.

Bone stock yes, but they could be ordered with vents if you wanted.

Слава Україні!
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: 79 Bus with remnants of both seat bulkheads Reply with quote

blacka1vw wrote:
ImAddicted wrote:

where would these parts be located?

Upon the floor in the area the middle seat goes, centered, pretty sure where that flat spot is in your pic by the seat mount plate and center seam. Would look like this

[/img]
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Bus with remnants of both seat bulkheads Reply with quote

That's usually only found on deluxe buses, commercials don't get the fancy stuff like that.

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: