Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shift rod hanger
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gerg
a.k.a. 6volt65

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:12 am    Post subject: Shift rod hanger Reply with quote

Guys & gals - just doing a reality check before I start drilling - safe to say if my shift rod and bushing move up and down in the hanger the hanger is worn? I removed the bushing hoping it was bad but it’s as good as the day I installed it 10 years ago.

Can’t believe I didn’t inspect it before I built this car.

. . . I got 99 problems and my bus ain't one . . .

'65 Sunroof Beetle
'65 Vert
'60 Singlecab
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Shift rod hanger Reply with quote

There should not be much side to side play at all.
gerg
a.k.a. 6volt65

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Shift rod hanger Reply with quote

Ya, I can lift the shift rod / bushing easily 1/8” or more. I’m fixing to drill the plate out.

Thanks!

'65 Sunroof Beetle
'65 Vert
'60 Singlecab
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod hanger Reply with quote

Did you confirm it is the bushing moving around in a wallowed out hole in the hanger bracket? I wonder if the 10yr old bushing has just worn on the ID and/or OD and now just moving around in a proper sized bracket opening?
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
gerg
a.k.a. 6volt65

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod hanger Reply with quote

Well, I can tell you the new bushing fits in the hole just a sloppy as the old bushing. And the old bushing looks identical to the new with respect to wear. It’s 10 years old, but the car has less than 10,000 miles on it. Rarely driven so minimal use.

'65 Sunroof Beetle
'65 Vert
'60 Singlecab
gerg
a.k.a. 6volt65

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod hanger Reply with quote

Does anyone know what size that hole is? I could find something that is rigid in the same diameter for a second check.

I watched a video this morning and one thing that stood out was the fellow mentioned how snug the bushing felt when he snapped it into place. This is anything but that.

'65 Sunroof Beetle
'65 Vert
'60 Singlecab
gerg
a.k.a. 6volt65

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod hanger Reply with quote

So - I managed to snap a picture. I seriously doubt the bottom half of this ring was that thin originally.

Can't find any pics of OG hangers . . I know the replacement is thicker, but not certain they are made exactly as OG . . other than the ID of the hole.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'65 Sunroof Beetle
'65 Vert
'60 Singlecab
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod hanger Reply with quote

One things I might suggest... place your bushing around the shift rod and with a caliper measure the OD of the groove the bracket sits within. This will give you an idea of the bracket ID the bushing will fit within. If your bracket opening is much larger, then a new hanging bracket may be in order.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod hanger Reply with quote

I'd replace the bushing hanger. Yours is worn from years of service.
New WW hangers are something like $8.95 plus shipping. Cheap and easy to install.
Old vs. new hanger,

Locate the spot welds around the hanger. And drill them out,

Align the new hanger in the tunnel and use the gear shift bolts to hold it in place. Yeah the new hanger is not perfect. but they work,

Weld the hanger in place and grind down the new welds and paint,

Make this cool tool to get the shift rod out and into the hanger and tunnel,

The whole process should take a couple hours to complete. If your slow like me! Shocked

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
gerg
a.k.a. 6volt65

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod hanger Reply with quote

Very cool and thanks for the reply!

If that first picture is your old hanger, then this is kind of funny. I did a search for pictures on the samba and that one came up from 2004. When I went to look at the actual thread it looks like I was the first person to post against it asking you a question LOL

Anyhow I have a new hanger on the way, as well as replacement U.S. spec bumper blades as my also 10-year-old WolfsburgWest bumpers rusted / chrome flaked prematurely in my opinion. Luckily the over riders and uprights were fine.

'65 Sunroof Beetle
'65 Vert
'60 Singlecab
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod hanger Reply with quote

The hole size in my new aftermarket hanger is 26 mm
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod hanger Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
I'd replace the bushing hanger. Yours is worn from years of service.
New WW hangers are something like $8.95 plus shipping. Cheap and easy to install.

Locate the spot welds around the hanger. And drill them out,

Align the new hanger in the tunnel and use the gear shift bolts to hold it in place. Yeah the new hanger is not perfect. but they work,

How large a hole(s) did you have to drill before the bracket would release from the tunnel?

I want to try bolting in the new bracket, as I don't weld. I was thinking I could use countersunk bolts, so they would lie virtually flat and level with the tunnel. That's why I'd like to keep the drilled holes as small as possible.

I have just drilled six 1/8 inch holes (located by putting a little white paint on the 6 nibs on the new bracket and bolting it down to the tunnel), which looks very similar to your top picture. The holes in your bottom picture looks a heckuva lot larger.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod hanger Reply with quote

You can use steel pop rivets too if you decide not to weld.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod hanger Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
You can use steel pop rivets too if you decide not to weld.

Great idea. Thank you.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod hanger Reply with quote

I've been researching pop riveting. I think what would work best are countersunk rivets. But I need to get an idea of how big the holes will have to be drilled before the old bracket releases from the tunnel before I buy rivets.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod hanger Reply with quote

Only thing holding my shift rod hanger is the shifter bolts. It's been that way since I've had the car. Didn't find out until I needed to swap out the bushing. My welder was broken when I put it back together so it just went back the same way with just the bolts. Works just fine. Maybe I'll tack it in if I ever need to get in there again.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod hanger Reply with quote

Okay, that's even better to know, thank you.

So, do I just keep drilling with larger bits until the old bracket comes free?
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Shift rod hanger Reply with quote

I have tried a number of ways of inserting a new shift rod hanger bracket, and so far, none of them have worked.

It's too big to go through the hole it needs to be mounted to. It won't go in through the front of the tunnel (in one piece, anyway). It stops about 12 inches back from the opening.

And although it drops easily through the rear hole where the shift rod mounts to the transaxle, I cannot pull it all the way through to where it mounts (I'm using a fish tape, with a retrieval line at the starting point, made for pulling electrical cable though conduit or behind finished walls). It always hangs up on something.

Is there a steel plate in there with holes for the shift rod, and clutch and accelerator cables, or is it open all the way through? If it's open, will it even fit? If so, is it just a matter of incessant jiggling until it comes through?

In short, how does one get the new bracket into place inside the tunnel?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Shift rod hanger Reply with quote

I'm thinking you are hitting other pieces in the tunnel. It may take some fiddling to get past them.

scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod hanger Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
I'm thinking you are hitting other pieces in the tunnel. It may take some fiddling to get past them.

Well, that certainly clears it up. Danka!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: