Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subaru EJ25 Head Gasket torque sequence - which to use?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:30 am    Post subject: Subaru EJ25 Head Gasket torque sequence - which to use? Reply with quote

Why all the different head gasket sequences? ( And more importantly, which one to use?)

Check out these different ones for a 2004 EJ25 SOHC non-turbo

I labeled them 2004 A, 2004 B, 2004 C (screen shots attached below)

Look at 2004 B – It has a total of only 90 deg after backing off 306deg. How can that at all be tight enough? Seems like a step is missing.

I’m working on a project that is not vehicle specific. Seems like all EJ25 SOHC heads non-turbo should be the same.

Thoughts?

****2004-A

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2) Tighten the cylinder head bolts.

(1) Apply a coat of engine oil to washers and bolt threads.

(2) Tighten all bolts to 29 N·m (3.0 kgf-m, 22 ftlb) in alphabetical sequence.

Then tighten all bolts to 69 N·m (7.0 kgf-m, 51 ftlb) in alphabetical sequence.

(3)

Back off all bolts by 180° in reverse order of installation, and back them off again by 180°.

(4) Tighten all bolts to 42 N·m (3.9 kgf-m, 31 ftlb) in alphabetical sequence.

(5)

Tighten all bolts by 80° — 90° in alphabetical sequence.

(6)

Tighten all bolts by 40° — 45° in alphabetical sequence.

NOTE:

Do not tighten the bolts more than 45°.

(7) Further tighten bolts (a) and (b) by 40° — 45°.

NOTE:

Ensure the total “re-tightening angle” in the [former two steps], do not exceed 90°.

****2004-B

(1) Apply a coat of engine oil to the washers and bolt threads.

(2) Tighten all bolts to 29 N·m (3.0 kgf-m, 22 ftlb) in alphabetical sequence.

(3)

Tighten all bolts to 69 N·m (7.0 kgf-m, 51 ftlb) in alphabetical sequence.

(4)

Back off all bolts in reverse order of assembly

By 180°first; back them off by 180°again.

(5)

Tighten again all bolts 40° — 45° in alphabetical sequence.

CAUTION:

Do not tighten bolts more than 45°.

(6) Tighten again the bolts (a) and (b) to 40° — 45°.

CAUTION:

Do not tighten bolts more than 90° in total angle.

****2004-C

(2) Tighten all bolts to 29 N·m (3.0 kgf-m, 22 ftlb) In alphabetical sequence.

Then tighten all bolts to 69 N·m (7.0 kgf-m, 51 ftlb) In alphabetical sequence.

(3)

By 180° first; back them off by 180°again.

(4)

Tighten the bolts (a) and (b) to 34 N·m (3.5 kgf-m, 25 ft-lb).

(5) Tighten bolts (c), (d), (e) and (f) to 15 N·m (1.5 kgf-m, 11 ft-lb).

(6) Tighten all bolts by 80 to 90° in alphabetical sequence.

CAUTION:

Do not tighten bolts more than 90°.

(7) Further tighten all bolts by 80 to 90° in alphabetical Sequence shown in figure below.

CAUTION:

Ensure that the total “re-tightening angle” [in the former two steps], do not exceed 180°.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
mitch5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ25 Head Gasket torque sequence - which to use? Reply with quote

I would try to find one that is closest to the head gasket style(mls or graphite)you will be using. For my stock ej22 I used the factory head bolts along with the complex tightening sequence. After having a leaking gasket i got a set of arp studs. I would recommend getting arp if it’s in budget
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ25 Head Gasket torque sequence - which to use? Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
Why all the different head gasket sequences? ( And more importantly, which one to use?).

none of those are the updated sequence

they have you torque the center bolts a bit more in one of the steps.

I cant link from alldata but if i get a chance I will either write it down or try and take a pic of the screen and upload it for you

i hope you're using OE bolts. the center bolts have a fatter washer and many aftermarket ones don't

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ25 Head Gasket torque sequence - which to use? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
[f i get a chance I will either write it down or try and take a pic of the screen and upload it for you

That would be great! thank you in advance!

i hope you're using OE bolts. the center bolts have a fatter washer and many aftermarket ones don't

I am (re)using OEM bolts.

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ25 Head Gasket torque sequence - which to use? Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:

bad idea

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ25 Head Gasket torque sequence - which to use? Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:

oh dear, reusing torque to yield fasteners on a motor known to fail headgaskets... why?

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ25 Head Gasket torque sequence - which to use? Reply with quote

valvecovergasket wrote:
vanis13 wrote:

oh dear, reusing torque to yield fasteners on a motor known to fail headgaskets... why?

except they are not, they are torque to angle..there may be other reasons not to re-use OEM bolts but the TTY is not one of them because they are not.

I have made my mind on this...now just want to get the latest torque sequence to give it the best shot so looking forward to Skills' All data info. Laughing

The 2004 B cited sequence is crazy - loosen up 360 deg, final tighten only 45+45 (90) deg !?!?

fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ25 Head Gasket torque sequence - which to use? Reply with quote

The 2004 B sequence is just wrong in the book. It misses out the re-torquing between the loosen by 360 and the final 45+45.

Also remember to have the bolts well lubricated.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ25 Head Gasket torque sequence - which to use? Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
looking forward to Skills' All data info. Laughing

should I include the part that says discard the head bolts?

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ25 Head Gasket torque sequence - which to use? Reply with quote

TTY and TTA are the same thing: The process specifies a torque value, followed by an angular value. The process steps are torque-to-angle, the result is intended to be yield.

If the bolts you have were in fact torqued past their yield point, they should not be reused because after a second yield their full strength can't be assured.

We use TTY/TTA as a shorthand to refer to the fasteners, when theres no such thing as a TTY fastener. What there are are fasteners specified by manufacturers for specific assemblies and a TTY or TTA process is specified. But the fasteners aren't TTY until they've been yielded; up to then they could be used in a conventional process instead. But once they've yielded, they are no longer the fasteners you started with.

An application where TTA is specified is the shorthand indicator we use that those fasteners either will be TTY'ed or were TTY'ed. Even though not all TTA processes will result in yield, they almost always do because it's that process that was developed to be able to achieve a calculated and consistent amount of yield in all the fasteners in a grouping, in order that they are all left under the same amount of elastic tension afterward. If they didn't intend the bolt to yield, they would have almost certainly not specified a TTA process.

So when we see a TTA process, we presume it was to bring them to yield, and therefore we assume if they were used in that way, then they have been yielded.

There is a simple way to be absolutely sure, but it requires advance preparation: using special micrometer points for this purpose, record the fastener lengths when new, and again after use (one of the physical features that people point to to "prove" that a fastener is indeed a special TTY one is the conical recesses on either end, which most other bolts don't have. Those are there to enable accurate length measurements using the pointed mic adapters made to fit them). If it was yielded, it will be measurably longer, usually only a few thou but it is consistently measurable.

There are many fasteners for TTY-spec'd uses, rod bolts especially, where the manufacturer (ARP is really good about this) allows multiple reuses so long as a specific amount of elongation hasn't been exceeded, so all fasteners used in TTY apps don't necessarily have to be replaced every time, but without the elongation measurements and that usage data from the manufacturer, you have to assume they are elongated past an acceptable second use.

So, unless you have the exact lengths before use, so you can mic them and see if they have yielded, you have no way of being sure they have or haven't yielded. So, lacking that info, we assume out of caution that they have been yielded, and buy a new set rather than take the chance, because to be wrong with something like a rod bolt might cost the engine, whereas a new set is a known and fixed one-time cost (although they often cost quite a lot!). A head bolt failing would not likely destroy an engine, but breakdowns get costly fast, too, so it's the same old penny-wise / pound-foolish.

If you have bolts in hand that you know were used once and a TTA process was used on them, it's wise to assume they are already yielded. If you had the accurate original lengths you could actually determine if they were yielded or not. Lacking that, it's best not to take the chance.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ25 Head Gasket torque sequence - which to use? Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
looking forward to Skills' All data info. Laughing

should I include the part that says discard the head bolts?

Please.

vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ25 Head Gasket torque sequence - which to use? Reply with quote

Ordered new OEM bolts. Will measure and compare them. I've come to trust Chris/tencent guidance. I'm thinking base of head to end of bolt or is there a different measurement?

For those interested...

An article by FelPro (big company) article indicating a difference in TTY and TTA

https://www.felpro.com/technical/tecblogs/tta-vs-tty-bolts.html

This ASE study guide 1) indicates tty bolts are common in head gasket applications and 2) have a diagram showing them reduced diameter shaft often associated with TTY bolts. The Subi bolts are constant diameter indicating they are not TTY (though they still may be)

https://www.freeasestudyguides.com/a1_4.html

Other than noticing the thinner center shaft section, there doesn't seem to be a consistent way to verify if a bolt is TTY by looking at it.

Taking to Chris, the following is not verification that it was right...but.... My last rebuild had no head gasket issue using old bolts for 50,000 miles Wink

I like Chris' measuring idea/process and will post up the results.

wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ25 Head Gasket torque sequence - which to use? Reply with quote

Subaru Mike on YouTube:"If a Subaru mechanic tells you he uses new head bolts he's lying."

and this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOwu5nEet4c
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ25 Head Gasket torque sequence - which to use? Reply with quote

Yeah, I saw that MrSubaru1387 video which seemed to explain it well and his trove of videos makes it look like he knows what he's doing.

I like the measuring thing tencent suggested.... Maybe instead of waiting for my order, I'll stop by the Subi dealer to see if they have some in hand I can measure. The dealer parts guy I bought the new short block from said to reuse the old bolts and he was a mechanic rebuilding subis before transitioning to the parts department.

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ25 Head Gasket torque sequence - which to use? Reply with quote

wesitarz wrote:
Subaru Mike on YouTube:"If a Subaru mechanic tells you he uses new head bolts he's lying."

and this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOwu5nEet4c

any hack ass dealer tech that tells you not to is a liar. there's a reason every subaru dealer has them in stock.

any bolt that has you pre-stretch then angle torque is a stretch bolt in my book.

anyway, the "book" tells you to (by book, I mean alldata who does a really good job of keeping up on updated info)

anyway, you guys do you. I'll do me

last 2 steps are 90* torque sequences. do as you please with the bolts

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ25 Head Gasket torque sequence - which to use? Reply with quote

Thanks a TON Skills! Your AllData screen picture corresponds to 2004 C. definitely helps settle concerns!

Turned out to be 2004 C (it is only by chance that it was C the last letter, I had no idea what order I was writing about them/putting them in.)

I'm just sorry for the folks that followed 2004 B with the missing info and may not have known better. 2004 A might have a chance.

.... So no AllData info on bolts it seems like? If I missed it somewhere let me know...I'm still gonna measure and report.

vanis13 wrote:
****2004-C

(2) Tighten all bolts to 29 N·m (3.0 kgf-m, 22 ftlb) In alphabetical sequence.

Then tighten all bolts to 69 N·m (7.0 kgf-m, 51 ftlb) In alphabetical sequence.

(3)

By 180° first; back them off by 180°again.

(4)

Tighten the bolts (a) and (b) to 34 N·m (3.5 kgf-m, 25 ft-lb).

(5) Tighten bolts (c), (d), (e) and (f) to 15 N·m (1.5 kgf-m, 11 ft-lb).

(6) Tighten all bolts by 80 to 90° in alphabetical sequence.

CAUTION:

Do not tighten bolts more than 90°.

(7) Further tighten all bolts by 80 to 90° in alphabetical Sequence shown in figure below.

CAUTION:

Ensure that the total “re-tightening angle” [in the former two steps], do not exceed 180°.

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ25 Head Gasket torque sequence - which to use? Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:

.... So no AllData info on bolts it seems like?

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ25 Head Gasket torque sequence - which to use? Reply with quote

yep! there it is Embarassed

thanks

wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ25 Head Gasket torque sequence - which to use? Reply with quote

It's a no-brainer to use new MLS headgaskets.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ25 Head Gasket torque sequence - which to use? Reply with quote

wesitarz wrote:
It's a no-brainer to use new MLS headgaskets.

This! The first time I did the heads in our Subaru Outback I used OEM gaskets which failed within 1,400 miles. They were also a RRPITA to clean up as well.
Then went to Fel Pro MLS, and it's been fine ever since.

Also beware of aftermarket head bolts - some are shorter than the originals, which will lead to a stripped hole or two. BTDTGTTS - but you can hire a Timesert kit for these engines for $125, which is less than a quarter of the price to buy outright...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: