Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aux battery for beginners
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
truepaul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject: Battery Chargers Reply with quote

Hi all --

I want to ask about battery charger wiring. I guess the core question is, do (most, all ?) battery chargers work with the battery negative pole wired to ground ? Question

I recently bought an industrial (Iota) battery charger, and started thinking about how to isolate the battery -- I wondered whether both terminals should be isolated. So I called Iota to clarify, and they said yes, disconnect both the + and - (ground) side of the battery prior to powering the charger.

Here's my dilemma: this requirement adds complexity and seems less fail-safe. And maybe this isn't really necessary?

I planned on having a (+) side disconnect switch mounted behind the driver's seat ... now I'm looking at mounting a (+) and (-) disconnect, plus an AC on/off switch for the charger ... and they should be activated in sequence. (Right?) It also is a challenge to wire all this, into an already tight space. (My aux battery is under the sink, so the battery and the distribution wiring is there as well). Yikes !

Anyone with thoughts on this, please chime in !
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Aux battery for beginners Reply with quote

thanks sswesty...

I'm going to come up with a list of things I may want to be powering and how long I may need to power them. That thread is helpful...

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux battery for beginners Reply with quote

Just purchased parts to make am aux battery build. Should be here next week. I'll make a thread about the build.
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux battery for beginners Reply with quote

kguarnotta page one of this thread may help, l storyboarded it for someone which may help you think about your parameters. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=718824

You are on the right track to figure out your load which will allow you to make a data driven decision vs winging it with a 100amp battery. Thanks for explaining your situation, some folks just ask what should I do with no info on their usage. It would be like popping on here and asking how much water should I take camping. I have no clue if it's just you camping or family of 4 with a dog going for a weekend or off grid for a week.

You'll need to look up specs for the stuff you run like your Engel. Say it draws 1.5amps running and it runs 50% of the time that would be 12 hours per day X 1.5 amps = 18 amp hours per day. Move on the lights, radio, etc. The formula is simple Volts x Amps = Watts and there are calculators all over online if you need to back into Amps. Some stuff is reported in watts and other stuff is in amps so you may need to use algebra to convert to what you need or use a calculator.
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux battery for beginners Reply with quote

ok -I'm a beginner on this too. My Syncro came with 2 Aux batteries. They are regular lead acid deep cycle marine batteries.

i've been reading about the LiFePo4 batteries, and how small they can be, and where you can fit them - lots of good info on those threads.

Currently my system works fine for the little I use the aux batteries. I'd like to understand how to calculate what my needs would be if I went camping for a few days, or a day etc.

Could someone point me to a website or basic formulas for figuring out need?

IE - I've got an Engel Fridge, which supposedly draws 1-2 amps/hr, but I'd also like to be able to charge phones and run a heater in the winter ...and other things..lights, maybe radio - I imagine it is probably pretty simple to make a spreadsheet and just input your loads, I'm just not sure how to enter my loads.

This is probably really obvious to determine my needs/wants but I want to make sure I calculate correctly. So formulas anyone? Ideally I'd replace my 2 big batteries with one small battery - or maybe I only need to run one of my aux batteries - most of the time, and just add the 2nd battery when I do a longer trip.

I've also got a 50 amp solar panel that would theoretically be adding or topping off the batteries - probably not faster than I would use...

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
truepaul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Aux battery for beginners Reply with quote

randalieren wrote:

Is there a step-by-step resource out there for putting together a system from scratch?

Ah, we wish ! But as said, there are too many options !

I've been down this rabbit hole a lot recently, since my aux battery died... and suddenly I have no radio or interior lights ! Shocked (Or other "house" stuff, refrigerator, etc). Replacing the battery is the easy part, but I want to expand the system, so now one of my van projects is to see what's in place and figure out how it works.

So in my internet searches, I came across the following article. I recommend it for anyone wanting to understanding the various trade-offs with your auxiliary battery choices:

Design Guide for 12V Systems
https://outbackjoe.com/macho-divertissement/macho-...inverters/

I don't have the electrical training to verify the advice offered, but it fits in well with other readings I've done. It clarified a lot for me ! I hope you find it helpful !
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux battery for beginners Reply with quote

randalieren wrote:
Is there a step-by-step resource out there for putting together a system from scratch?

As you're seeing, so many ways to do all this and IMO, quite easy for an author of a step by step to miss a detail when posting to a forum like this. So, caveat emptor, fuse appropriately, assess wire gauge Amp capacity, YMMV. Wink

I camp solo but used this setup w/o solar for some years. The cig outlet at dash was sufficient but later, I installed a cig outlet at spice rack. It's very useful. The Dometic fridge worked quite well overall.

edit: some notes about this I posted here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=...x.#8274577

- "Walmart" aux "starter" battery, isolator, at driver side battery box. Battery to isolator wire run under van as per Bentley.

- Canadian Tire inverter at cabinet face behind driver seat. Most of the time it got used as a crude voltmeter. Wink

- OE red wire in driver side battery box re purposed to supply positive from aux battery to [edited: a repurposed fuse at OE panel to supply power to cig lighter outlet, dome light-kitchen light and Kenwood stereo. Your '84 will likely have a different configuration at OE fuse panel. If your van had a gas heater, there may be spare fuses you could use for this purpose.]

- OE "kitchen" wire in aux battery box connected to aux battery.

I've never done this but as a guess, I bet the OE wiring from cig lighter socket could handle charge input from a typical folding solar panel. About 5 - 6 Amps at most in full sun?

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Aux battery for beginners Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
The control wire to the 120-902 should NOT be from 'ignition on'.
It should be from a source that is 'off' during starting but on when key on or engine running. This is easy to do. The fuse could be 5 amp.

Thanks Mark, I'll research this for a feed location, I'm sure its covered before but i missed the details.

crazyvwvanman wrote:
Also, the 120-902 needs a small gauge ground wire, not shown.

Noted, thanks !!

crazyvwvanman wrote:
The starter motor stud is nearly directly connected to the starting battery so using it instead of the battery is fine, even preferred in this case.

OK, great. Yes, it is so close to the firewall under the back seat that i guess in all reality IS connected to the 'starter battery' from the other end of the cable ... my bad.

Will grommet the hole suitable too to prevent bad things.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Aux battery for beginners Reply with quote

There is an issue with or two your diagram.
The control wire to the 120-902 should NOT be from 'ignition on'.
It should be from a source that is 'off' during starting but on when key on or engine running.
This is easy to do.
The fuse could be 5 amp.
Also, the 120-902 needs a small gauge ground wire, not shown.

The starter motor stud is nearly directly connected to the starting battery so using it instead of the battery is fine, even preferred in this case.

Mark
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Aux battery for beginners Reply with quote

Beginner here raising his hand too !

I also spent a lot of time perusing through SO many threads

I hope this isn't seen as a hijack ( not intended ) but thought maybe my questions may help the OP as well ?

I got a TF49 new so cheap that I couldn't say no. NOW the real money is in the system to run it !

I took lots of info from several threads and decided to try a diagram with a Flooded Group 31 under rear bench, a Shore Charger > 6 AMP, a White Rogers Relay 120-902 Isolator, some fuses here and there and wire the fridge direct to the house battery for now ( will consider the fuse panel later on ). Will use wire feed from the old Westy Relay under drivers seat or wire into fuse panel for ignition on trigger for White Rogers 120-902 Isolator

I see many run an additional wire from the Isolator to the Start battery. Why is that ?

If I don't want to combine the 2 batteries to the Isolator. Is that ok ?

I thought my 120A Alt will charge both system separately and without the need to "combine them" so that is what I don't get. Did I get that wrong ?

I used Visio and some incorrect drawing shapes to represent different things ... can't be any worse than an outboard motor shape, lol !

Comments and hope it helps out the OP too.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Aux battery for beginners Reply with quote

zoti wrote:

My stock fridge is long gone. I am going to buy a 12v fridge.

the fridge is the big unknown as some are not as efficient as others. a good ball park number would be 1.5Ah, so over 24 hours that works out to 36Ah for a hot summer day.

to recover that 36Ah you would need a 100W panel and at least 4 hours of FULL sun.

1.5A x 12V = 18W/hour X 24 hours = 432W

if the fridge draws less current, all the better.

my system is designed to provide 40Ah per day for three days without recharging. i'm using a 150Ah LiFePo4 and DC to DC charger with solar MPPT controller. a 200W panel reduces the time required to recover that 40Ah per day and gives me some flexibility if the sun is not shining brightly.

BiWerks Design, LLC
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux battery for beginners Reply with quote

SSWesty wrote:
For the stock fridge propane will get you about 2 weeks of runtime depending on the amount of cooking you do with the factory stove. To gut it out with solar and batteries it would seem like 400 watts of solar might keep up if you have sun. Stock fridge on DC with the engine off is the wrong tool for the job.

My stock fridge is long gone. I am going to buy a 12v fridge.
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux battery for beginners Reply with quote

For the stock fridge propane will get you about 2 weeks of runtime depending on the amount of cooking you do with the factory stove. To gut it out with solar and batteries it would seem like 400 watts of solar might keep up if you have sun. Stock fridge on DC with the engine off is the wrong tool for the job.
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux battery for beginners Reply with quote

So how would you run a fridge for a longer period of time?

SSWesty wrote:
randalieren wrote:
Hi everyone, and thanks for your replies. I know there's a lot of info buried in old threads, so I apologize if I'm retreading on well-worn territory.

I want to run lights/radio, and to have 110v power available to charge phones and/or laptops. Ideally, I would like to be able to run the stock fridge if necessary, but I am also replacing my LPG tank, so i will have that option for when I'm not on shore power. Nothing too fancy or powerful needed -- I just want to eliminate any chance of killing my main battery at camp, and to have reliable 110 v available for casual domestic uses, preferably even when we are on the road.

With what you describe for usage you might be fine with just using your starting battery and having a jump pack for an emergency. It will depend on how long you intend to sit in one place without running the engine. If you are going to sit in one spot for a few days then a 50 amp battery under the drivers seat should keep you out of trouble. As already mentioned it's best if you can figure out your amp hour consumption. The second part is it's not efficient to run the stock fridge from DC with the engine off. It draws about 8 amps so for 24 hours you could easily need 100+ amp hours which would translate to a 200 amp hour lead acid battery bank for 24 hours. So 400 amp hours for 48 hours. It's possible to do but not practical. DC to DC charging is best, you don't need an inverter for a cell phone. Depending on the laptop you may be able to find a DC charger for it. Are you thinking of a microwave or blender on AC? Plenty of people get around find without an inverter, it just depends on what you really need and how much you want to put into your system.
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux battery for beginners Reply with quote

randalieren wrote:
Hi everyone, and thanks for your replies. I know there's a lot of info buried in old threads, so I apologize if I'm retreading on well-worn territory.

I want to run lights/radio, and to have 110v power available to charge phones and/or laptops. Ideally, I would like to be able to run the stock fridge if necessary, but I am also replacing my LPG tank, so i will have that option for when I'm not on shore power. Nothing too fancy or powerful needed -- I just want to eliminate any chance of killing my main battery at camp, and to have reliable 110 v available for casual domestic uses, preferably even when we are on the road.

With what you describe for usage you might be fine with just using your starting battery and having a jump pack for an emergency. It will depend on how long you intend to sit in one place without running the engine. If you are going to sit in one spot for a few days then a 50 amp battery under the drivers seat should keep you out of trouble. As already mentioned it's best if you can figure out your amp hour consumption. The second part is it's not efficient to run the stock fridge from DC with the engine off. It draws about 8 amps so for 24 hours you could easily need 100+ amp hours which would translate to a 200 amp hour lead acid battery bank for 24 hours. So 400 amp hours for 48 hours. It's possible to do but not practical. DC to DC charging is best, you don't need an inverter for a cell phone. Depending on the laptop you may be able to find a DC charger for it. Are you thinking of a microwave or blender on AC? Plenty of people get around find without an inverter, it just depends on what you really need and how much you want to put into your system.
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux battery for beginners Reply with quote

Ok, this is good start.

You don't really need to charge the start battery with solar. If you are worried about your start battery being charged enough to start (in case there is a mystery drain on it) you can always jump your start battery with your aux battery. Done it a few times myself.

A 100AH lead acid battery is really only 50AH of usable battery if you only allow a 50% discharge to your aux battery. 50AH might be enough for a day or two depending on how much sun is shining on your panels. I have two 100W panels and a 100AH lithium battery. As long as I can get a good, long day of sun, I can run my fridge and lights for many days. Lithium batteries are expensive up front, but pay for themselves in the long run when you consider replacing lead acid batteries every 3 years or so and that's if you've taken care of them and not discharged them too deeply.

My panels are the thin, flexy type that I store in the upper bunk when traveling. I have a 50ft cord exiting the license plate door (via Anderson plugs) that allows me to put the panels in the sun and the van in the shade. Mounting them to the van means you have to park in the sun. Not a great idea out here in CA when temps get near 100F.

I still have an inverter in a box from 10 years ago that I've never used. Most everything I have runs off 12V these days so no need for the inverter.

My solar controller and battery monitor are made by Victron and, via bluetooth, allow me to monitor what's going on with AH left in the battery and watts coming in via the solar panels. These are good things to know in the middle of nowhere and you are not sure what's left in your system. Having a battery monitoring system is another plus for lithium batteries.

If I were you, I would buy components that could be used with a lithium battery and when you are ready to jump from lead acid to lithium, you'll already have what you need. This is the bluetooth solar controller I use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075NPQHQK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hope that helps...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux battery for beginners Reply with quote

randalieren wrote:

In the interim, a portable jump start pack is handy and can jump start the van. I carry a Genius jump pack in the glove box.

Aux battery type might affect system design, parts required.

e.g. a smaller Lithium battery might provide Amps you need, uses less space, but may need or work best, using a specific type of charge pattern. i.e. not the alternator. This may also be true of AGM batteries.

My system (edited):

- solar panel, MPPT controller, not mounted yet.
- group 27 and 31 SLA batteries under bench seat
- good quality "can" solenoid type battery isolator in engine bay
- charge sources: alternator, solar, 7 Amp Genius charger (can be used in "power supply" mode while on shore power)
- supply wire from alternator to battery positive posts is fused with a "Maxi fuse".
- supply from aux battery connects to OE former load wire under driver seat (repurposed to supply wire) to OE fuse position at dash dash for cig outlet, radio and, IIRC, LED dome lights.
- in camp loads: Truckfridge, charging small load (phone), minimal use of rear LED light, Sureflo sink pump.
- smaller inexpensive inverter. Rarely use it
- I switch batteries by moving a ground cable from one to the other which I rarely do.
- cig outlets at dash and metal grill on end of kitchen unit are on the aux battery. The rear outlet is rated, wired for max 20 Amp load though I doubt I'll ever pull a consistent 20 Amps. Fuse panel is behind the metal grill. Grill will be replaced by plexiglass, illuminated fuses installed and possibly a USB outlet.
- switch at grill operates a small string of LED lights in each storage cubby

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN

Last edited by Vanagon Nut on Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux battery for beginners Reply with quote

I know ow to install things but not familiar enough with solar and correct wiring setup.

Here's what I would like to do and maybe someone can help.

As far as consumption I plan to run:

- 12V fridge
- Maxxair fan
- Charge cellphone , iPad etc. (no computers)
- Led lights
- 110v inverter (optional)

I was planing on a 100W panel and 100AH battery. My trips will be a few days long at most. I'm thinking of keeping the option of adding another 100AH battery and and optional extra 100W folding panel that I can set up next to the camper if I need the extra charge.

I would like the solar to be able to charge both the aux and main car battery and same with the alternator.

Is there a good schematic I can work of and a good list of parts I will need?

Would this kit e a good place to start? (I'm not looking to spend thousands on a setup).

https://www.amazon.com/ECO-WORTHY-Controller-Inver...amp;sr=1-7
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux battery for beginners Reply with quote

randalieren wrote:

I want to run lights/radio, and to have 110v power available to charge phones and/or laptops... I just want to eliminate any chance of killing my main battery at camp, and to have reliable 110 v available for casual domestic uses, preferably even when we are on the road.

to have 110VAC requires an inverter when not connected to shore power. they chew thru the battery. you can buy a dc to dc charger for your laptop, way cheaper and uses less battery power.

you really need to run some numbers and figure out what your expected current draw is over 24 hours. then add 10% because the future.

BiWerks Design, LLC
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux battery for beginners Reply with quote

[quote="valvecovergasket"]
fishgo wrote:
i really like this style vise crimpers for easy heavy cable work../tangent

I have one of those crimpers - they work great for the big stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: