Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1954 Bundespost Barndoor
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bathtub57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 Bundespost Barndoor Reply with quote

Front end build up

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This gives me hope..

Barndoor Mafia
Il Capo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 Bundespost Barndoor Reply with quote

WOW!!!!! Shocked Shocked Nice work!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bathtub57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 Bundespost Barndoor Reply with quote

Barndoor Mafia wrote:
WOW!!!!! Shocked Shocked Nice work!!!

Thanks, Irvs team are the guys I just shout encouragement from the sidelines.
bathtub57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 Bundespost Barndoor Reply with quote

Quick one for today, more work on the nose.

A face only a mother could love?
VW_Barndoor_Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 Bundespost Barndoor Reply with quote

bathtub57 wrote:

Great Job Guys
May the VW_Barndoor_Force be with you, Always.
bathtub57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 Bundespost Barndoor Reply with quote

It’s a bit of an update overload this week but I thought I’d keep posting as the pics come in.

The front end is really coming on now.

Actually looks more like a bus again now.

The irony is it looked better before the work started but at least now everything is straight and solid.
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 Bundespost Barndoor Reply with quote

Looking great! Did the guys remove the front panel to straighten it or do it in situ?

Keep the updates coming, I'm loving it 😊😊

Cheers. Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 Bundespost Barndoor Reply with quote

bathtub57 wrote:

Hell yeah looking good!

1960 Dove Blue Double Cab Patina Build

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bathtub57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 Bundespost Barndoor Reply with quote

bally wrote:
Looking great! Did the guys remove the front panel to straighten it or do it in situ?

Cheers. Dave

Hi Dave
Yes, the whole bus was turned into a flat pack, straightened, strengthened and rebuilt. Parts are going on/ off / on / off multiple times to get everything correct. It’s mad what Irv’s team can do.
bathtub57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 Bundespost Barndoor Reply with quote

German Krew wrote:
[quote="bathtub57”]

Hell yeah looking good![/quote]

Thanks.

Loving the build on your split bug too
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 Bundespost Barndoor Reply with quote

bathtub57 wrote:

i would make an ugly mother, but i could love it Smile

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 Bundespost Barndoor Reply with quote

bathtub57 wrote:
bally wrote:

Cheers. Dave

Hi Dave
Yes, the whole bus was turned into a flat pack, straightened, strengthened and rebuilt. Parts are going on/ off / on / off multiple times to get everything correct. It’s mad what Irv’s team can do.

It certainly is! Long may it continue Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bathtub57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 Bundespost Barndoor Reply with quote

Time for an end of week update. Once happy with the fit of the front it came off again for a proper weld up and the back on for good.

bathtub57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 Bundespost Barndoor Reply with quote

Last night I got to meet the legend that is Martin Hobe of Revs. He stopped off en route to another job to drop my -20- engine. It’s a bit of an oddball this one as it looks to be an industrial but has a -20- stamp.

The engine number puts it at a May ‘54 whereas the Postbus is October 54, but close enough and in any event it will get rebuilt and will do perfectly for this project.

Best of all waffles!! Mind you when I got home my 3 kids managed to demolish them before bedtime!

I’ll try and do some research on the motor but here are the tags if anyone has any insights please do share!

56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 Bundespost Barndoor Reply with quote

Yes you’re correct about your guess. It seems like it used to be a Barndoor engine and was then modified to be used as an industrial engine as indicated by several parts f. e. the red oil filler cap, pulley etc.
I assume you’re only after the correct case which it clearly is and all the newer other parts can be swapped for the 1954 ones. Nice find!
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 Bundespost Barndoor Reply with quote

bathtub57 I just read your thread and I love how you are having all her pieces grafted instead of replaced so you can keep as much as possible of her original parts and most especially paint.

My Westy is fine but in the spring I'll be grafting my daily driver (LBC) as that little British car is 1 of 927 painted roadsters and I would like the information of your build team Paul Irving. I would like to contact him on some questions as he is the king in body grafting.

One of my favorite quotes, thanks to you bathtub57:
"I can tell you when you own one and you see it lying there on the ground as a bunch of rusty bent metal you begin to wonder where passion ends and madness begins. "
www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
el_safari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 Bundespost Barndoor Reply with quote

HI
I hope it helps a little about the engine.
The "Centre de Réparation Automobile zone Sud": CRAS, was a repair workshop
from the french army in Friedrichhafen, Germany after WW2.
They repaired tanks and german vehicules for the french army. Cool

Bendango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 Bundespost Barndoor Reply with quote

56 Samba - do you mean to say he has to replace cylinders heads etc as this is an industrial engine??? I would hope he can use the majority of it.

Great engine! That will gently polish out all nice and Patina’d. Those tags etc are great!

Looks a liiiiitle of place in what looks like a white Volvo interior!!

WANTED - [WTB] 55-62 Bus Thin Lip Package Tray SWR

Getting Used - SWR 60 westy copy built by vw ( apparently Rolling Eyes )
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=320866

Braukuche wrote:
Where did you find the elephant dick?
bathtub57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 Bundespost Barndoor Reply with quote

56samba wrote:
Yes you’re correct about your guess. It seems like it used to be a Barndoor engine and was then modified to be used as an industrial engine as indicated by several parts f. e. the red oil filler cap, pulley etc.
I assume you’re only after the correct case which it clearly is and all the newer other parts can be swapped for the 1954 ones. Nice find!

Many thanks! That makes sense now, I never realised engines could be taken in reverse - ie an engine from a vehicle turned into an industrial. Priority number one is to have a working 1954 engine. Priority 2 is for it to be correct. The history of this engine fits perfectly with the story of the bus, I’m very happy.
bathtub57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 Bundespost Barndoor Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
bathtub57 I just read your thread and I love how you are having all her pieces grafted instead of replaced so you can keep as much as possible of her original parts and most especially paint.

My Westy is fine but in the spring I'll be grafting my daily driver (LBC) as that little British car is 1 of 927 painted roadsters and I would like the information of your build team Paul Irving. I would like to contact him on some questions as he is the king in body grafting.

One of my favorite quotes, thanks to you bathtub57:
"I can tell you when you own one and you see it lying there on the ground as a bunch of rusty bent metal you begin to wonder where passion ends and madness begins. "

Thanks so much for the kind words.. Irv and the gang are on Facebook and internet. Irvs VW Restoration. The LBC sounds great, lets see a picture!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: