Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Head temp 1&2 360 degrees
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
storm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject: Head temp 1&2 360 degrees Reply with quote

Have a Scat engine 2027, 8.5 compress. Question: have cht sensors under #2 and #4. #4 temp 300 degrees, # 2 360 degrees. Going down road at 60 mph
In a 66 bus approx 3200rpm on a 85 degree air temp. Ok 3&4 temps ok, but 1&2 temps higher why? Performance right on no pinging, I use high test gas 91. Why a difference between 1&2 and 3&4? Oil pressure 40# oil temp 190. Your input is required thanx
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Head temp 1&2 360 degrees Reply with quote

what sort of intake ? Carb synchronisation if even a little out will make a difference in CHT's If the #1 #2 side is open more at idle then it will also be at cruise so that side is has more load the other less load . get them even and one goes up slightly and the other comes down .
I've asked the question ,what is the normal CHT spread for all 4 cylinders on a stock 1600TP with late factory tin and no seems know .
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Head temp 1&2 360 degrees Reply with quote

It also depend on gearing ,stock trans? Head winds/hills plays a HUGH part with Buses,I know I drive a 70 Bay every day spring-Fall Laughing
good tune as in air/fuel ratio gauge? good flowing exhaust?
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Head temp 1&2 360 degrees Reply with quote

what cooling tin, is it all original, or aftermarket?

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Head temp 1&2 360 degrees Reply with quote

I’m jealous of your numbers.
My heads seem to level out at around 420° and I have all the tins, and a venturi ring. I even backed my timing down to 28°. Don’t really know where to go from here.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
storm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Head temp 1&2 360 degrees Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. Yes all cooling tins and thermostat. Scat fan housing. I will try to balance both carbs IDFs. Thinking that 1&2 side is working more than 3&4 side. If that doesn’t change things, then look for vacuum leaks and other important items so far mentioned on this post. Otherwise the engine runs strong without any problems. I figure that both heads will balance with better temps. Maybe 325 degrees on a 90 degree day.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Head temp 1&2 360 degrees Reply with quote

#3 is usually the hottest you should change the sensor to that spark plug.

It probably has a lot to do with the fan shroud.

Jake Raby did a fan shroud test years ago that was very informative.
petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Head temp 1&2 360 degrees Reply with quote

storm wrote:
Have a Scat engine 2027, 8.5 compress. Question: have cht sensors under #2 and #4. #4 temp 300 degrees, # 2 360 degrees. Going down road at 60 mph
In a 66 bus approx 3200rpm on a 85 degree air temp. Ok 3&4 temps ok, but 1&2 temps higher why? Performance right on no pinging, I use high test gas 91. Why a difference between 1&2 and 3&4? Oil pressure 40# oil temp 190. Your input is required thanx

Have you tried swapping the thermocouples and/or gauges? They could be inaccurate. My CHT gauge reads 150f-200f with 110f ambient air temp and 180f oil temp. There's no way the heads run THAT cool, I just know that if it goes significantly higher than that something is up.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Head temp 1&2 360 degrees Reply with quote

Scat shroud is a prudy good one compared to some others Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
storm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Head temp 1&2 360 degrees Reply with quote

Solve! Well after some time has passed, I finally found out why #2 side of the head was so hot compared to the other temps. Turns out that the idle circuit was clogged. Not the idle jet but the channel that air and fuel goes I passed a thin wire like a guitar string and found sticky dirt in one of the idle circuit tubes. Now the temps on #2 sensor under that spark plug is similar to the other readings. How I determine this by increasing the idle jet from .52 to .65. Doing this increased the amount of fuel that mixes with air. That experiment brought down the temps.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Head temp 1&2 360 degrees Reply with quote

storm wrote:
Solve! Well after some time has passed, I finally found out why #2 side of the head was so hot compared to the other temps. Turns out that the idle circuit was clogged. Not the idle jet but the channel that air and fuel goes I passed a thin wire like a guitar string and found sticky dirt in one of the idle circuit tubes. Now the temps on #2 sensor under that spark plug is similar to the other readings. How I determine this by increasing the idle jet from .52 to .65. Doing this increased the amount of fuel that mixes with air. That experiment brought down the temps.

Well done, #2 spark plug probably looked leaner? Without dual cht sensors you would of never known there was a problem.
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Head temp 1&2 360 degrees Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
I’m jealous of your numbers.
My heads seem to level out at around 420° and I have all the tins, and a venturi ring. I even backed my timing down to 28°. Don’t really know where to go from here.

run methanol ..lol
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: