Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Update on 2L Compression ratios
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject: Update on 2L Compression ratios Reply with quote

This post is an addendum to the 1991 technical bulletin that is mentioned frequently on thesamba for 2L bus engines. It does not apply to 914-4, 912e, or the 400 series cars.

Using a late new case and a GD case, both yielded a deck of appx .100" using a .071" shim. If one subtracts the .071" then the deck would be approximately .029" with no shim on these two engines. (One measured .1005" and the other engine .105" but let's call it .100")

Bob Hoover stated that the paper cylinder base shims were .008" . I do not have one here to measure. Assuming he is correct, that would add .008" to the .029" for a total factory deck of .037" with the paper gasket. That is awfully close to 1mm (.03937").

The factory combustion area on a 2L head is about 51 cc +/-. Bore 94mm. Stroke 71mm. Piston dish 15 cc. Came with an aluminum head gasket that was .030". Add .030" for the head gasket to the .037 desk and that is a total deck of .067". Using a compression calculator that gives 7.3 as the calculated compression. That matches published specs for these engines when born.

In 1991 VW published new specs pertaining to the late and FI engines (GD, GE and CV). Technical Bulletin 10-90 T01 . In that bulletin the paper gasket at the bottom was removed and a 1.6 mm shim was added to the base. The head gasket was removed also. 1.6 mm= .063". This changes the deck to .029" + .063 = .092" . The other specs would not have changed. The new CR calculates to 7:0. Cross checking the math, .067" - .008 - .030" = .029". Add the.063 shim and we are back to .092". The other numbers do not change.

What ALL of us failed to notice in the bulletin is that effectively VW further detuned the specs for the CR on late bus engines from 7.3 : 1 to 7.0 : 1. It was more than just a removal of the head gasket and notching of the rod. They also increased the piston to cylinder clearance to stop pistons from seizing. As stated by myself, 2L bus engines run hot.

this agrees with Gene Berg's recommendations as well. Bob Hoover waffled on it but admitted that late Mexican engines were as low as 6.6 : 1 because of fuels in Mexico. You will get more power and efficiency with any gasoline engine if you bump the CR from 7:0 to 7.5 or even 8. You will also get a little more heat. These are considerations an owner must make when building a 2L type four BUS motor.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Update on 2L Compression ratios Reply with quote

I have read some of Gene Berg's writings on compression ratio and was surprised by how low he was recommending for setting it.. It made me realize that I don't really understand the numbers other than the theory. How much power are you potentially gaining by raising the compression ratio from 7:1 to 8:1? How much hotter does the engine run?
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Update on 2L Compression ratios Reply with quote

How much power are you potentially gaining by raising the compression ratio from 7:1 to 8:1? How much hotter does the engine run?[/quote]

I believe that is a loaded question.
Raising CR improves bmep all along the dyno curve, but too much with too little
quality fuel destroys the metallurgy of the engine over a very short time.
Leading to the wish the CR wasn't set that high.
I had no idea VW was going lower that 7.3:1 on CR, but I
ignore bulletins of all kinds. fwiw.
I blame gasoline formulations & re-formulations.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Update on 2L Compression ratios Reply with quote

we can blame many things for everything if we want.

The question of exactly how much would take multiple engines and dyno runs to decide.

GENERALLY small changes don't make a big difference in power or heat. The changes are accumulative - make 10 changes X .5 HP each and it is 5 HP. Air Cooled is a different animal than water cooled because of the problem shedding heat. For example, it is ironic that the P51 Mustang actually benefited from a larger water cooled radiator. The air expanding from heat after passing thru the radiator and out the rearwards facing duct gave the P51 additional thrust and air speed.

The 1991 Technical Bulletin starts with "have been modified to improve heat transfer and increase durability. These changes effect Engine codes: GD, GE and CV." ... The following improvements

I did look up the head gasket on the fiche for those engines, and it is .7mm or .028", close to the .030" in the VR kit now. CR remains 7.3 on the original engine with the head gasket, and 7.0 after the change. The difference of .055" (.063" base gasket added minus the .008" paper gasket) is added to the deck height). That takes it from .037" to .092". Again, these are bus changes only, they don't apply to 914-4, 912e or the 400 series cars.
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Update on 2L Compression ratios Reply with quote

Using an on line engine calculator I found if I lowered the CR from 8.7:1 to 8.0:1 on my stock cam type-4 I'd loose an awe inspiring 1HP peak.
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Update on 2L Compression ratios Reply with quote

Keep in mind that many 1.7s and 1.8s were rebuilt to 2.0 engines over the years. The technical bulletin would apply if the shop or person was aware....or cared enough.

Also anyone with the AMC heads....

A .028 machined step is part of the combustion chamber in the AMC head (replaces the removed head gasket). That will play into the math for deck height.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Update on 2L Compression ratios Reply with quote

Also keep in mind that air to fuel management systems were primitive by today's standards. I was speaking with a good friend last night about his father's experience developing the Formula Super Vee engine for VW. He didn't get a handle on head and oil temps until they thermal coated the heads and pistons, then the problem went away. Too bad VW didn't just release new heads that were coated to stop the heat issues. Honda, Toyota etc take what they learn in their formula racing programs and turn it into production performance.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Update on 2L Compression ratios Reply with quote

Noticed last night that in Richard Atwell's notes on the 1991 Technical Bulletin he indicates that the CR was lowered from 7.3:1 to 7.0:1 with that change.*

I posted this morning for California bus owners to post NOX numbers from smog tests and head temp if they know their CR, and maybe the deck in the thread at https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=742104

* Richard Atwell ~ The gasket (~0.80mm before crush) in not the same thickness as the 1.6mm spacer VW recommends using which begs the question: has VW also recommended lowering the compression ratio or were there further instructions? Well, first consider there is was also a paper gasket at the base of the cylinder and if that measured 0.80mm also then there should be no change to the CR but Wilson says the paper gasket should be 0.20mm thick and so is the metal base gasket included with the rebuild kits so it appears VW did recommend a slight reduction to the compression because overall the deck height has increased by 0.6mm (approximately 7.3:1 to 7.0:1).
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Update on 2L Compression ratios Reply with quote

timvw7476 wrote:
How much power are you potentially gaining by raising the compression ratio from 7:1 to 8:1? How much hotter does the engine run?

While the thread is aimed at the bus 2.0L.....you asked a fairly generic type 4 question

That depends on what other tuning items are worked along with it....ignition, fuel curve and also that fuel curve accuracy It also matters how you lower or raise the compression ratio.

As an example.....in the 1.7L.....the difference with no other changes...same cam, valves, injection, deck height and ignition.... between early 7.3:1 engines had 66 hp and later 8.2:1 engines had 82hp.....that is a 16 hp difference. The other difference on the early 7.3:1 engines is carbs versus injection.

When that 7.3:1 carbed engine was swapped for injection.....with no other changes.....it gained only 2hp but also a ton of throttle response.
So the injected 7.3:1 (which was the California version) being down 14hp as compared to the 8.2:1......is just a little less than a 21% loss. Is this significant?.....you be the judge.

This range of compression change was done with dished pistons instead of domes. A dish or a dome are technically "artificial" deck volume changes. The nice thing about using a dish instead of adding to deck....meaning piston further down in the bore....is that it keeps the combustion on the piston face and in the chamber and has less exposure to cylinder wall. It does not run as hot.

Yes....compression on type 4 makes a shit ton of difference. Torque went up correspondingly.

How hot is the difference on the 7.3:1 California engine versus tbe 8.2:1 49 states 1.7L.....a LOT. The CA engine ran miserably hot. In the summer about 35° hotter oil temp and about 75° hotter head temps in my experience.

As for Berg running even lower compression......before you totally take that as THE direction to go......ask what the maximum ignition advance was that was being planned to use....and at what rpm.

Its widely known.....that having better compression with a tight deck....allows you to use far less ignition advance. Likewise......having lower compression allows you to use MORE advance....which is also very useful in very high revving engines.

Its a balance. And it matters where you need your useful curve peak to be.....(i.e. vehicle weight, gearing and tires).

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Update on 2L Compression ratios Reply with quote

Ignoring the effect of cam timing and ignition timing, the ratio of pressure increase in a cylinder when a fuel mixture in a gasoline engine burns is about 7 x 1. That means the initial pressure is multiplied by about 7X which pushes the piston. If the initial pressure inside the cylinder is 7.0 : 1 CR x 14.7 psi seal level pressure then the initial pressure is more or less 102.90 PSI. X 7 when the mixture burns the internal pressure would be 720.30 PSI. If the CR is 8.0 then the pressure inside the cylinder is 8 x 14.7 psi or 117.60 psi. Multiple that x 7 and the pressure is 823.20 PSI. That is an increase in about 103 pounds per square inch pushing on the piston each time it fires, although the initial difference from 7:0:1 to 8.0:1 is only about 15 psi. That difference goes into mechanical energy which lowers the exhaust gas temps leaving the head. BUT the additional energy from the compression goes into heat that is shed thru the fins on the cylinders and heads. Since there is not 100% efficiency the head and cylinder temps will climb. That also raises the efficiency of the burn which adds even more power. So while raising compression does increase power it comes with risk of pre-ignition and detonation. Pre-ignition will burn a hole in the center of the piston, detonation destroys the ring lands and outer edge of the piston. It is subtle and accumulative. It is worse when the piston accelerates slower like on a bus vs a sports car. We lack the cooling ability that water cooled engines have. Also our engines were designed when lead was in the fuel. That lead helped slow the burn. Modern fuels lack the lead and are easier to pre-ignite and detonate than fuels when our buses were new. I speculate it is likely why VW lowered the CR on late 2L bus engines. Likewise, Mexican bugs run mid-6's in compression because their fuels were worse. To get more power and efficiency one adds compression just short of an engine destroying itself. To run cooler one lowers the compression. From what I understand, somewhere around 3 or 4 :1 the cooling effect is lost and the engine gets hot again because the mechanical energy is insufficient to push the pistons successfully. Old modern A's had that issue until their CR was bumped up into the mid 4's to 5. Water cooled cars in the 70's were running 9 or 10 :1. Today with modern computers to monitor everything including variable combustion chambers even the CRs can approach 13 to 14 on daily drivers. My MDX runs about 11.5 or 12:1. That was only found in racing motors in the 1970's and 1980's. In fact, anything above about 11:1 was close to the edge of destruction on late engines. The dome in pistons was sometimes used to help the engine flow more air and fuel thru it. It had more purpose than just compression.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Update on 2L Compression ratios Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Ignoring the effect of cam timing and ignition timing, the ratio of pressure increase in a cylinder when a fuel mixture in a gasoline engine burns is about 7 x 1. That means the initial pressure is multiplied by about 7X which pushes the piston. If the initial pressure inside the cylinder is 7.0 : 1 CR x 14.7 psi seal level pressure then the initial pressure is more or less 102.90 PSI. X 7 when the mixture burns the internal pressure would be 720.30 PSI. If the CR is 8.0 then the pressure inside the cylinder is 8 x 14.7 psi or 117.60 psi. Multiple that x 7 and the pressure is 823.20 PSI. That is an increase in about 103 pounds per square inch pushing on the piston each time it fires, although the initial difference from 7:0:1 to 8.0:1 is only about 15 psi. That difference goes into mechanical energy which lowers the exhaust gas temps leaving the head. BUT the additional energy from the compression goes into heat that is shed thru the fins on the cylinders and heads. Since there is not 100% efficiency the head and cylinder temps will climb. That also raises the efficiency of the burn which adds even more power. So while raising compression does increase power it comes with risk of pre-ignition and detonation. Pre-ignition will burn a hole in the center of the piston, detonation destroys the ring lands and outer edge of the piston. It is subtle and accumulative. It is worse when the piston accelerates slower like on a bus vs a sports car. We lack the cooling ability that water cooled engines have. Also our engines were designed when lead was in the fuel. That lead helped slow the burn. Modern fuels lack the lead and are easier to pre-ignite and detonate than fuels when our buses were new. I speculate it is likely why VW lowered the CR on late 2L bus engines. Likewise, Mexican bugs run mid-6's in compression because their fuels were worse. To get more power and efficiency one adds compression just short of an engine destroying itself. To run cooler one lowers the compression. From what I understand, somewhere around 3 or 4 :1 the cooling effect is lost and the engine gets hot again because the mechanical energy is insufficient to push the pistons successfully. Old modern A's had that issue until their CR was bumped up into the mid 4's to 5. Water cooled cars in the 70's were running 9 or 10 :1. Today with modern computers to monitor everything including variable combustion chambers even the CRs can approach 13 to 14 on daily drivers. My MDX runs about 11.5 or 12:1. That was only found in racing motors in the 1970's and 1980's. In fact, anything above about 11:1 was close to the edge of destruction on late engines. The dome in pistons was sometimes used to help the engine flow more air and fuel thru it. It had more purpose than just compression.

Yes.....at 8.0:1 there is a "r-i-s-k" of pre-ignition...but that was actually never a problem on the engines I noted. These engines were also well into the no lead era. However....they were listed to run on premium...98 octane listed on the flap.

As I noted...its all about tuning as well. Carefully set your timing and Limit the advance upper end if necessary.

This is precisely why ....all 411, 412 and 914...(I think some of the buses were set up this way as well?)....ran 27* BTDC at 3500 rpm. All of the high compression engines came this way. This is actually looked on oddly by the bug people....as fairly low total advance.

What you are saying about lowering compression...especially for the bus and its load...has merit....and I would think having this same lower "all in" tuning for ignition timing would be needed as well.

Notice I said limit the upper end of the advance range if needed as well? I am surprised the bus did not have this available. It could probably have benefited from it. In fact....I have no idea if it might not have been available.

The late 411 and early 412 and the 1.7L (all 8.2:1) and some 2.0L 914....had an available advance can that had a limiting set screw to prevent excessive vacuum advance on very high rpm cruising with low throttle opening. .....precisely to prevent pre-ignition. It had an arm # of 917.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Update on 2L Compression ratios Reply with quote

98 octane? Maybe AV gas or Sunoco 100 racing gas if you can afford it and don't get caught. The average premium in California is 91 now. We have 87, 89 and 91. There are a few stations that sell 95 Octane but it has more alcohol in it. Pure Gas is hard to find here - we have state mandated blends for summer and winter. State mandated everything is what you get when the Getty family is in control.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Update on 2L Compression ratios Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
98 octane? Maybe AV gas or Sunoco 100 racing gas if you can afford it and don't get caught. The average premium in California is 91 now. We have 87, 89 and 91. There are a few stations that sell 95 Octane but it has more alcohol in it. Pure Gas is hard to find here - we have state mandated blends for summer and winter. State mandated everything is what you get when the Getty family is in control.

Laughing .....I used to freak out too! It took me a while to find out that tbe 98 0ctane of 1973 was more like 93-94 octane by normal standards due to the change in the way it was calculated.

I think you are onto a very good question in this thread. And I think the vast majority of the reason was fuel availability.....in the begjnning.

Yes.....VW and others during a period of time in the "octane change timeline".....were lowering compression ratios. Some/most of this is/was for good reason.

My question is what exactly were the reasons in each case.

One could make the case that due to the rapid changes in fuel additives, octane ratings and reformulated gasolines.....that compression ratios needed to drop to keep the engines alive on the new fuels. I don't disagree with that in theory.

But.....there are far too many outlying engines like the ones I mentioned in the ACVW line as well as the early watercooled cars that were European market only ...that kept compression high .....with no adverse effects on pre-ignition or cooling.

Of course emissions are the obvious issue. Drop compression to reduce NOX and octane requirement.

But.....how low of a compression drop is useful before the drop in compression is actually an overheating and poor tuning issue?

As mentioned.....we cant just look at the compression drops alone. You have to look at what was done.....tuning wise..... alongside that compression drop to "paper over" the inevitable driveability issues that it creates.
Much of this was ignition.....some was fueling curve......some was changes in gear ratio.

This is a decent timeline of the basic changes in fuel. Not saying everything in it is 100% correct or not.....but it gathers the main changes together in a nutshell just from the fuel chemistry point of view as a good reminder of how we got from there to here.

https://www.eesi.org/papers/view/fact-sheet-a-brief-history-of-octane

I think the vasy majority of compression drops were purely emissions oriented....and not engine survivability oriented.

Even though we are mainly speaking of the bus compression ratio changes here.....the 412 cars.....got a compression ratio drop in 1974 for emissions.....EVERYWHERE.....not just California.....and in order to maintain the driveability level they literally had to move to a larger engine.....the 1.8L.....to keep from making the entire 50 states fleet a dog.

I say this because the existing 1.7L with high compression.....was adequate in HP, torque and rpm band in 1971-1973. And.....if all emission requirements were put aside......there was even still plenty of performance tunability to be had without introducing pre-ignition, overheating or longevity problems.
One could also say the same thing about the type 1 engine in the late beetles and the type 3 cars.

But coming into the 1974 model year, the emissions requirements became more stringent in all of the US....not just California....especially for NOX.

VW and all of the owners already knew what de-tuning and smogging the 1.7L type 4 engine did to the California model. It made an underpowered, slow.....hot running dog of an,engine with reliability issues. Taking that further for 1974.....would have been tragic.

So you get an engine with an extra 100cc's needed to counteract the drop in compression, change to a simpler EFI system, change to an even leaner fuel mixture, change to less advance and initial timing and a few other tweaks.

The 412 and 914 cars 1.8L engine is rated at 4hp more than the D-jet 1.7L......but because the throttle response was so much less......I can honestly say that I doubt that these 1.8s actually produced what they were rated at. They also ran a little hotter.

But.....I think these changes to a larger "detuned" lower compression 1.8L engine allowed as good reliability as the the hugher tuned 1.7L engines they replaced.

I think that train of thought is the same for the bus. I think that if they did not have to further de-tune for emissions......there would have been no reason to move beyond the 1.8L for the bus.

Ray
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Update on 2L Compression ratios Reply with quote

Ray - I had the experience of having a nicely tuned 1971 1600 bus engine. It was about 8.5:1 dual carbs and a mild street cam. Went like a bat out of hell but about 40,000 miles was all it would last before a stud pulled, or the case cracked, or a valve acted up, or something started to go wrong. So eventually I took the bus engine back to total stock for a 1971. The power was gone, it was gutless, but it lasted and lasted and lasted.

If you look at the type IV engine in a 914-4 or 912e vs the bus you see the same pattern. The bus engine is way detuned. I believe VW understood by the late 60's that buses had issues with reliability when they were tuned the same as a car was. Lowering compression would be an easy way to detune if pistons were seizing in buses.

That said - I remember reading an article written by a VW engineer about 1978 or so, in which they said they were about done with the air cooled engine in North America. The reason he gave was that in order to meet continued emission standards the engines had to run too lean for the air cooled engine to live. They believed that with the lean mixtures it would be impossible to cool the engines enough to keep NOX down and keep parts from melting. The 1991 Tech Bulletin that lowers compression starts with, " 1. To eliminate seizing of pistons.... "
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Update on 2L Compression ratios Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Ray - I had the experience of having a nicely tuned 1971 1600 bus engine. It was about 8.5:1 dual carbs and a mild street cam. Went like a bat out of hell but about 40,000 miles was all it would last before a stud pulled, or the case cracked, or a valve acted up, or something started to go wrong. So eventually I took the bus engine back to total stock for a 1971. The power was gone, it was gutless, but it lasted and lasted and lasted.

If you look at the type IV engine in a 914-4 or 912e vs the bus you see the same pattern. The bus engine is way detuned. I believe VW understood by the late 60's that buses had issues with reliability when they were tuned the same as a car was. Lowering compression would be an easy way to detune if pistons were seizing in buses.

That said - I remember reading an article written by a VW engineer about 1978 or so, in which they said they were about done with the air cooled engine in North America. The reason he gave was that in order to meet continued emission standards the engines had to run too lean for the air cooled engine to live. They believed that with the lean mixtures it would be impossible to cool the engines enough to keep NOX down and keep parts from melting. The 1991 Tech Bulletin that lowers compression starts with, " 1. To eliminate seizing of pistons.... "

Mmm...no. There were virtually no longevity problems in the 411/412/914 engines.....of the 1.7L. Not any related to the higher degree of tune. Most were issues with owner maintenance. These were very long life engines.

But then its also a different weight and gearing application as well.

To my earlier comment....its not clear to me....that the issues with piston seizing in the bus that were related to heat... were related to compression.

Too many buses STILL had short lives even after these mods (a much of that can be owner care) . If it were JUST a compression related heat issue...the oil notch mods really would not be needed. They are not needed in the higher compression smaller engines.

Both mods are methods of getting rid of heat.

However....One could also say running better fuel, a more efficient deck, less restrictive exhaust and cam and not leaning the fuel mixture out so much with L-jet (realizing we did not have a choice with emissions laws)....could just a easily accomplish the same lowering of heat...and many have done that over the years.

As you noted earlier....our injection systems of this era were crude. I agree.

These mods and the technical bulletin were circa 1990- 1991. The earlier buses with their more crude fuel management issues were already largely out of production for 9 years. VW had virtually nothing really to gain....$-wise.....for putting a lot of time and effort into the survivability of the Bay bus engines and the first couple of years of Vanagon that still used the 2.0L.

I think you are right....that just adding oil notches and lowering compression....was a far EASIER way of fixing a heat problem within a large fleet of pre-manufactured vehicles ....than trying to tune them better around emissions and within the abilities of the crude EFI systems.

That does not mean it the BEST way.

They already had some better control with digi-jet/digifant in the vnagons and waterboxers....all except for the through 1982 that still used the 2.0L.

Ray
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Update on 2L Compression ratios Reply with quote

Quote:

I think you are right....that just adding oil notches and lowering compression....was a far EASIER way of fixing a heat problem within a large fleet of pre-manufactured vehicles ....than trying to tune them better around emissions and within the abilities of the crude EFI systems. I think you are right....that just adding oil notches and lowering compression....was a far EASIER way of fixing a heat problem within a large fleet of pre-manufactured vehicles ....than trying to tune them better around emissions and within the abilities of the crude EFI systems.

They could not tune around the issues. It would have required completely reworking the cooling system - which is effectively what they did by going to water cooled engines like everyone else. Steel conducts heat too slow to be a VW head so they were stuck with aluminum there. They could have put steel sleeves in Aluminum fins like some aircraft but the cost would have been huge, and the corrosion issues would have been too high maintenance.

Buses have a heat issue the lighter vehicles don't, and they said so in the bulletin by naming the GD, GE and CV engines specifically, and saying the problem was caused by excessive heat.

Thinking about it the cause is simple. Aluminum expands more than steel. There is a loss of heat transfer thru the rings and oil to the steel cylinders. In addition lead was removed about that time. The engines that may have worked fine as leaded engines lost both the cooling effect of lead and the lubrication of lead. Especially the ones in hotter climates like California where the mixtures were leaner, adding another dimension of heat. Buses run hotter. That means eventually the aluminum expands tighter and tighter in the cylinder, creates more and more friction and seizes. The cylinder to piston clearance was also increased, and the CR lowered to keep combustion temperatures lower. The only remaining question is did increasing the deck from .067" to .091" * result in offsetting that, and no one seems able to definitively answer that. Were bus engines that prone to seizing before the bulletin?

* .029" deck + .008" paper gasket +.030" head gasket = .067"
. 029" deck + .062" spacer = .091"
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Update on 2L Compression ratios Reply with quote

my final thought on this today is that there are people with a deck around .060" to .065" with higher CR that seem to run cooler. My guess is that the original engines that were .059" deck and 7.3:1 ran fine. My guess is that some people who did not maintain them blew head gaskets from overheating their engines when pushing too hard. At the same time there were probably some lean failures like my friend in his Vanagon, who no fault of his the AFM was too lean. If enough engines came in with a heat related failure VW probably did not want to do an individual analysis on each one to determine a specific fix for each failure. These are assembly line vehicles. VW likely came up with a one size fits all solution which was to lower compression ratios.

Today we are restoring these buses one at a time. Each one is done on an individual basis.We can't even get the factory parts for them like a dealer would have in the late 80's early 90's. We each need to make an individual choice whether we want to follow this fix. Myself I have removed the head gasket because I believe it is a point of failure, however I am choosing not to go to such a large deck and low compression number. When the engine is built, and broken in, I will post about how it did compared to my current engine which is built to the 1991 Tech Bulletin specs. That engine runs hot in my view.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Update on 2L Compression ratios Reply with quote

I doubt that a lot of original drivers had the kind of understanding of the aircooled engine many of us do now. We are driving around with manuals in our heads, gauges and a thorough understanding of the engines limits. Back in the day they were just another car and people drove them as such.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Update on 2L Compression ratios Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
I doubt that a lot of original drivers had the kind of understanding of the aircooled engine many of us do now. We are driving around with manuals in our heads, gauges and a thorough understanding of the engines limits. Back in the day they were just another car and people drove them as such.

thumbs up Smile
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Update on 2L Compression ratios Reply with quote

Hey all, I asked this question in my Cape Cod Sage thread, but thought I’d ask here too.

Im rebuilding a GD motor, stock crank etc. lower end was fine, just replacing pistons, cylinders and had the heads rebuilt. I’m fitting the new Brazilian Mahle Pistons and Cylinders. I measured the deck height w/o shims and I’m getting about 030”.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What size shim am I looking for here? .040” for a total deck height of about .070”?

Or

Per this thread here, I should get either a .060 or .070 shim to get a total deck height of .100 for 7.3 compression?

Yes?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: