Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

California Fires
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: California Fires Reply with quote

swavananda wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

First off, I'm so sorry you have to be dealing with the whole situation. To say it sucks is, I'm sure an understatement. I'm glad you and your family are all ok, the Ghia too.
Is this your bus and house on the news?

qwerty wrote:
Sad times

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: California Fires Reply with quote

Pez wrote:
So stories heard from states away general revolves around CA's unwillingness to do controlled burns are the reason for the fires getting out of hand over the past few years. Any locals have any input in this?

Prayers for those effected by this round of fires though! Stay safe!

Tough subject. Most of this country decided to suppress controlled burns about a hundred years ago, and that has contributed to a lot of it. Like others who already posted, I too am waking up to ash-laden cars, and can hardly see the foothills a quarter mile away. It's hard to breathe outside, and it's all we can do to keep the smoke out of the house right now. The entire Santa Clara Valley looks like a soup bowl with heavy smoke settled into it.

Just 15 miles to the east, in the SCU Lightning Complex fires, my cousin has 25,000 acres in the middle of it. Thankfully CalFire saved the cabin which his grandfather built in the 40's, but half his ranch has already burned. They're busting balls to get 600 head of cattle out of those mountains right now. And to my point, we're talking about a vast amount of acreage, much of it just super steep, rugged wilderness. And California has always been an arid state, compounded by recent droughts, and the fact that it's fire season nine months out of the year, it all makes controlled burns in these areas risky. It would take huge crews working year-round, continually migrating across the landscape, burning up and down the state for years to try and reverse the accumulation of fuel that has built up over the last century. The tab would be huge, but the risk is almost as huge. In the case of my cousin's property, no way he could afford that, so the state would have to pick up the tab. I don't see that happening either. So along comes Mother Nature and lights everything up, and then the money HAS to get spent. I'm not arguing For or Against, but like I said, tough subject, tougher outcome...in this case.

P.S. I went to Home Depot this afternoon and the whole store was smoky inside Evil or Very Mad
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: California Fires Reply with quote

swavananda, I'm so sorry for your losses, please feel free to PM your needs. I'm very happy you were able to get your kitty and Ghia out safely.

swavananda wrote:

I just got burned out in Bonny Doon Fire. Bus is the one I have been working on in my tag. I am so grateful to have had a towbar for my Ghia. It got pulled out on second day.

A ‘wind event’ picked up embers from miles away and started spot fires all over place. An inferno started across the street at 3:30 in the morning. I woke to a sound I never want to hear again. Scrambled to find my cat threw him in truck. Laid on the horn to wake up neighbors. PD arrives and says time to go, and I joke ‘ya think? ‘. There was a safe pocket of time to go up next day. I got to pack my truck With enough to feel good about moving on, hooked up the Ghia just as smoke was getting brutal. Got safely out. Of course there was the mental debate of staying and trying to defend The property. That came down to realizing I was the only one up there, no other neighbors could be heard. Did not want to risk it. In other areas, Dooners formed their own strike teams to defend homes. Cal fire pretty much abandoned Bonny Doon first two nights. My place went next morning. I’m really grateful getting back up there to get what I did, otherwise I’d be pretty devastated. I did go backup to volunteer digging breaks, none held. They are not letting any one up at this point. Winds are picking up and a possible lightning storm coming. Tonight will tell how the rest of Santa Cruz county will fare.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: California Fires Reply with quote

Fish wrote:
Is this your bus and house on the news?

The burned one looks later based on the engine intake vents, early are crescent. Front bumper would be inconsistent too.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: California Fires Reply with quote

Here is something I learned yesterday there are two major fires in the Bay Area right now. Right now size wise they are #2 and #3 in CA as fire size all time. The #3 fire has a little over 1k fire fighters on it. They said ideally they would need 9k fire fighters working on it. I am sure the other one is the same way. They have firemen from other states by those states have fires to take care of as well.

Both of these fires were started by lightening and not due to wind. The wind dangers in CA start next month for two months. This is a major concern since the fire embers can blow large distances and ignite fires further away. There have been over 13k lightening strikes in CA this year already!

Due to covid the low risk inmates that are trained and fight on the fire lines have not been doing so. This is some 2k workers not on the line. Politicians will not release them like they have done to other low risk inmates that are in the prison since these inmates if working on the fire lines are paid only $5 per day and save the state millions. They could release them and they would be hired by Cal Fire right away and can work on the lines immediately due to their training and experience.
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: California Fires Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
They have firemen from other states by those states have fires to take care of as well.

Best I can tell, Colorado has 3000 fireman working 4 very large fires currently. Shits on fire everywhere: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: California Fires Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
Here is something I learned yesterday there are two major fires in the Bay Area right now. Right now size wise they are #2 and #3 in CA as fire size all time.

Confused Which one are you NOT counting?
LNU
CGU
SCU
That's three major fires burning in the San Francisco Bay Area at the moment. Check it out.
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: California Fires Reply with quote

marklaken wrote:
74 Thing wrote:
They have firemen from other states by those states have fires to take care of as well.

Best I can tell, Colorado has 3000 fireman working 4 very large fires currently. Shits on fire everywhere: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/
California fires don’t mean shit, I guess
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: California Fires Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:
California fires don’t mean shit, I guess

Nope just means there are fires all over the USA and many fire departments are still sending equipment and personnel out to California to help.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: California Fires Reply with quote

I bumped into our local fire chief this morning. in the past, CT, MA, RI and VT fire fighters would jump on a plane and head out for aid. he was saying that due to the state of affairs here in the US some states aren't sending mutual aid due to riots etc. kind of sad.

anyway, I can't help to wonder why they can't deploy a metric shit ton of carbon tetrachloride bombs like the old grenade (1920's era) fire extinguisher balls. I realize they were banned for a reason, but dam, they worked real good. I would have to think there is a more eco-friendly version of this.

from what I understand they were banned because they would snuff the user out as well as the fire. if such a technology existed they could probably (at minimum) contain the fires. part of me believes there is a better way. the other part of me believes there was a better way, but CA regulated it out of existence

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: California Fires Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: California Fires Reply with quote

Fish wrote:
Crying or Very sad

Cool patina! Rolling Eyes

Actually, this makes me sad. Sad

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: California Fires Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
Fish wrote:
Crying or Very sad

Cool patina! Rolling Eyes
Actually, this makes me sad. Sad

Just give it to the boys in England, they'll fix it right up.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: California Fires Reply with quote

nahh that'll buff right out.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: California Fires Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
nahh that'll buff right out.

Or it will repair itself, a la Christine.
grandpa red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: California Fires Reply with quote

Storing my wife's bosses husbands 68 Vette for them because of the River Fire.
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: California Fires Reply with quote

Its definitely heartbreaking to see so many fires at once cause so much destruction. I cant imagine the horror of helplessly losing everything.
It keeps happening year after year.
Power lines, dry lightning or good ol fashioned arson, doesn't matter. These fires are the new norm.
Id like to see the fire fighting/prevention budget get a nice raise next year. a lot of damage would have been prevented if we had the staff and tools to act faster.
If this keeps up, were gonna run out of trees
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: California Fires Reply with quote

For what it's worth, if you're looking for a bit of optimism, several of the stories in the news the last couple days have been how the redwoods are faring quite well in the fires lately, and will remain and be thriving, soon. In fact, they've been showing aerial video of clusters of burned-down houses in the mountains, and strangely enough, all the trees are still standing around them, unscathed.

And it turns out, some of the plants on the ground use the heat and smoke to release buried seeds from dormancy and sprout anew. Some trees even need fire to melt the resin and release seeds from the cones to reproduce (although I don't know if any of the California trees are these species).

In any case, I think the Native Americans who predated our presence by 15,000 years were onto something, they were doing "controlled" (let's call them "strategic") burns for centuries.

Here's a story about the fires right now and the redwoods...
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/can-red...wildfires/
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: California Fires Reply with quote

Those are known as serotinus cones , the same method needed for the jack pines in the NJ pine barrens.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: California Fires Reply with quote

Tram wrote:
Pez wrote:
So stories heard from states away general revolves around CA's unwillingness to do controlled burns are the reason for the fires getting out of hand over the past few years. Any locals have any input in this?

Prayers for those effected by this round of fires though! Stay safe!

The first part of the problem is unkempt federal lands, from what I understand. The feds own just under 50% of the total land in California, and the state of California owns and controls just 3% of its forested land- the Feds own 57% of forested land in California, and the rest is private land. The state would not be authorized to go in and do controlled burns there. It's like living in a duplex where your neighbor's kid plays with matches. Good luck protecting your half of the building if their half goes up, no matter HOW clean and clutter- free you keep your house and yard.

The second part is drought. How do you "control" a burn in a tinderbox?

That's about the same ratio in Arizona, but AZ clears dead fuel from the forest, thins out the forest and we have controlled burns in spring and fall.
So Az has 38.6 % in Federal lands and Ca. is about 45.8 %. Lots of activity in AZ by state and federal agency's in spring and fall.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: